SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 ... 1212
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
Why won't they leave? Because they want to have ULTIMATE POWER and be the overlords of this fiefdom and its serfs, that's why.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
“WE CANNOT LET THE CURE BE WORSE THAN THE PROBLEM ITSELF,” Trump said in a late night tweet.

It won't be an easy decision. He will be criticized either way. So far, he's handled this very well. I pray for him.

No it won't be an easy one. But there's no one else in government right now who I trust more to make it.

I know which way I hope he decides which should be no secret.

Lord, please free us from the dictatorship of public health experts.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30650 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer just placed Michigan on lock-down (shelter in-place) for three (3) weeks, effective 12:01 a.m., Tuesday, Mar. 24, 2020. Non-critical businesses are to close.

Personally, I feel this somewhat precipitous. We have merely 1200 confirmed cases in Michigan, with the vast majority concentrated in the Metro-Detroit area.

And, of course, as she's been doing all along, she had to throw some shade at President Trump:

Whitmer: "We're still not getting what we need from the federal government"

The federal government can't provide what it does not have. They're concentrating on the areas where the need is greatest.

Whitmer: "Last week the President's message to our nation's governors was we're essentially on our own for getting supplies"

A straight-out lie. What he said was (paraphased): "If the federal government can't supply it, we urge states to seek their own solutions."

Whitmer: "What the federal government should have been doing for months"

For months? This only rose to the level of a clear issue at the end of January, and, even then, it wasn't clear it was a world-wide threat. Was the government to prepare for something that was not yet known to exist?

Whitmer: "Without a comprehensive national strategy"

Another straight-out lie. The federal government has expressed a comprehensive national strategy.

And, or course, during the Q&A, she's implying the SIP order is in part the fault of the federal government (read: "Trump") not supplying the state with adequate resources.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
https://thehill.com/homenews/a...et-the-cure-be-worse

President Trump is suggesting he might lift restrictions intended to prevent the spread of coronavirus if the economic pain from the measures becomes too great, tweeting that "we cannot let the cure be worse than the problem itself.

“WE CANNOT LET THE CURE BE WORSE THAN THE PROBLEM ITSELF,” Trump said in a late night tweet. “AT THE END OF THE 15 DAY PERIOD, WE WILL MAKE A DECISION AS TO WHICH WAY WE WANT TO GO!”

That’s good to hear. In reality, I think we can handle another 10-14 days of this without creating too much economic pain. I also think we should see some meaningful results from different drugs by then. I think we should continue on the road we are for that 10-14 days as I think that will be the best long term compromise between ameliorating public health concerns, reducing perceived health concerns and minimizing long term structural damage to the economy. In looking at the data it appears that the curve with respect to new cases IS flattening which is a good thing. Additionally the overall number of cases curve is becoming more linear, if not already no longer exponential. All in all, I think we are on the right track, AND if Trump shows a good balance between public health and economic concerns and things start to recover economically then the economy should be well underway to recovery by November which should strongly support his re-election.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5595 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lt CHEG: That’s good to hear. In reality, I think we can handle another 10-14 days of this without creating too much economic pain. I also think we should see some meaningful results from different drugs by then. I think we should continue on the road we are for that 10-14 days as I think that will be the best long term compromise between ameliorating public health concerns, reducing perceived health concerns and minimizing long term structural damage to the economy. In looking at the data it appears that the curve with respect to new cases IS flattening which is a good thing. Additionally the overall number of cases curve is becoming more linear, if not already no longer exponential. All in all, I think we are on the right track, AND if Trump shows a good balance between public health and economic concerns and things start to recover economically then the economy should be well underway to recovery by November which should strongly support his re-election.

I gotta differ with you on that. We’re not even in lockdown in Georgia and there are already businesses here that have closed, permanently. Another 2 weeks of this and there is no predicting exactly what the long term effects will be on the economy. I think your view is way too rosy.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3992 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
quote:
Originally posted by Lt CHEG: That’s good to hear. In reality, I think we can handle another 10-14 days of this without creating too much economic pain. I also think we should see some meaningful results from different drugs by then. I think we should continue on the road we are for that 10-14 days as I think that will be the best long term compromise between ameliorating public health concerns, reducing perceived health concerns and minimizing long term structural damage to the economy. In looking at the data it appears that the curve with respect to new cases IS flattening which is a good thing. Additionally the overall number of cases curve is becoming more linear, if not already no longer exponential. All in all, I think we are on the right track, AND if Trump shows a good balance between public health and economic concerns and things start to recover economically then the economy should be well underway to recovery by November which should strongly support his re-election.

I gotta differ with you on that. We’re not even in lockdown in Georgia and there are already businesses here that have closed, permanently. Another 2 weeks of this and there is no predicting exactly what the long term effects will be on the economy. I think your view is way too rosy.

Yes, this needs to end immediately.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30650 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lt CHEG:
I think we can handle another 10-14 days of this without creating too much economic pain.

I hope you are right. I pray you are correct. I tend to believe the other side of the equation.

Another 14 days and all commerce will stop. Those of you who think you can work home, sorry, but those jobs will go away. If you are not involved in an essential business; medical, 1st responder, grocery, or something related to an essential business, your job will dissappear.

I have seen the effect in Orlando already. Hotels are locking their doors. Car rentals are down 90%. And on and on.

And it's not just tourism. My friend is the senior attorney in Orlando for a multi-state law firm. He said last week that the phone calls stopped. Not slowed, stopped. He said they are fine for the time being with work in the system, but they will need the pipeline to open back up and get full again.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: holdem,

Posts: 2328 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Fair enough, but I would argue that a business permanently closing after only a week of the restrictions might not have been on the best footing and may have been destined for going out of business anyway. Further, the long term damage from letting the virus gain a strong enough foothold to overcome our health care system might be considerably more damaging. Lastly, I think that there was no way around some damage to the economy. This was a natural disaster, no different than an earthquake or hurricane so some pain was going to happen.

While I do believe that the media has way overhyped and overblown what is going on, I can say, unequivocally, that this virus is causing serious issues and is not “just a cold” in all the people that contract it. This virus could not just be ignored without paying any attention to it. I have been in emergency response as both a volunteer firefighter and a police officer (both a local cop and currently as a fed) for over 20 years. I can tell you based upon what I have seen and what colleagues are experiencing first hand that the complications that can arise from this virus are occurring often enough and the complications are serious enough that health care operations ARE being significantly impacted. In reality this is a pandemic that is much more serious in densely populated cities, however even if it only affected such cities the effects of Covid-19 would still be felt nationwide.

So in a nutshell, the point I was trying to make is that economic impacts were coming no matter what was done. I feel confident that the response thus far, at least by the President, has been the best balance which will result in the least long term damage, but not none at all. The idea of not experiencing any economic pain at all is an impossible fantasy.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5595 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
We’re not even in lockdown in Georgia and there are already businesses here that have closed, permanently.

Not downplaying the potential of this effect over time if this continues but isn't it a little dramatic to suggest that a business has closed "permanently" after having shut the doors for a week or even two? Indefinitely perhaps, likely impacted in efforts to restart but permanently? I bet a few have but they are the exception and most small or midsized business will bounce back if we can get our hands around this shortly.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12509 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:

You should read about how South Korea quarantined all the folks who were likely to be severly affected, (elderly, underlying conditions, etc) and let everyone else go about their business. There's a link a page or two back. It seems to have have had little effect on their economy and yet very effective in containing the virus and minimizing the deaths.

Posts: 11212 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
Just like a day or two wasn't enough time to be sure the apparent dip in new cases a few days ago was the start of a slowdown in spread, a day or two now isn't enough time to be sure there ISN'T a slowdown, but the numbers from yesterday are back on the rapid spread curve.

(graphics from worldometers.info )

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:

You should read about how South Korea quarantined all the folks with who were likely to be severly affected, (elderly, underlying conditions, etc) and let everyone else go about their business. There's a link a page or two back. It seems to have have had little effect on their economy and yet very effective in containing the virus and minimizing the deaths.

The part that's missing from this narrative is the S. Korean government also cautioned citizens to avoid unnecessary social interaction. By the accounts I've read, people took it to heart, and the spread was thereby more limited. Americans, much like the Italians, haven't been as cooperative. The other part that's missing is S. Korea was also able to ramp-up testing a good deal faster than we've been able to do.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
Just like a day or two wasn't enough time to be sure the apparent dip in new cases a few days ago was the start of a slowdown in spread, a day or two now isn't enough time to be sure there ISN'T a slowdown, but the numbers from yesterday are back on the rapid spread curve.

(graphics from worldometers.info )

Couldn't possibly be due to increased testing, could it?

Posts: 1831 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
Obviously we will see a climb in numbers with increased testing. But it's important to understand that only a small percentage of patients who are only showing mild symptoms get tested. AFAIK most testing is reserved for more serious cases as well as medical staff. Testing has not evolved to the point where everyone who feels they need (want) a test are going to get it. When that happens we'll see a HUGE increase in numbers. I feel that most of what we are seeing now is more attributable to the natural progression of the virus and most who are tested are the more severe cases.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

The part that's missing from this narrative is the S. Korean government also cautioned citizens to avoid unnecessary social interaction. By the accounts I've read, people took it to heart, and the spread was thereby more limited. Americans, much like the Italians, haven't been as cooperative. The other part that's missing is S. Korea was also able to ramp-up testing a good deal faster than we've been able to do.

When were we (the healthy, younger folks that will most likely survive without intervention) given a chance to limit our social interactions? How have we not been cooperative? In Florida on March 13th, an extra week was added to spring break. The rest of the draconian measures happened within the next week.

I agree on the testing point. I'm hoping the 15 days to slow the spread plan is buying time to ramp up testing and figure out where the problem areas are so that the rest of us can go on about our business. We have 3 cases in my county and 1 of those should be in the recovered category as it was first reported 18 days ago.

Posts: 11212 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Michigan is under a stay at home order starting at 00:01 on 24 March 2020 for a minimum of 3 weeks.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38066 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Little bit of humor for the day (maybe NSFW)

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16860 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Couldn't possibly be due to increased testing, could it?

Obviously with more testing comes more confirmed cases. The deaths are not increasing due to more testing. They still don't even have enough test kits to test the ill yet.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20939 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
Little bit of humor for the day (maybe NSFW)

oddball, its been posted but I'm still glad you put it here. Not everything corona related needs its' own thread.
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/3110048764

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24323 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
From the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security email update 3-23-20 0936 pacific - excerpts:

CHLOROQUINE POISONING The drug chloroquine, currently being investigated as a potential treatment for COVID-19, resulted in multiple overdose deaths in Nigeria. In the short period after the drug was touted by US President Donald Trump, prices reportedly skyrocketed by more than 400% in some locations due to increased demand, despite a dearth of evidence indicating that it is effective against COVID-19. Over the weekend, Nigeria reported several deaths due to “chloroquine poisoning." In response, Lagos State Health Commissioner Akin Abayoi published a video via the Lagos State Ministry of Health Twitter account warning against the unlicensed use of chloroquine and emphasizing that it has yet to demonstrate efficacy against COVID-19, and Nigeria’s Minister of Health Osagie Ehanire echoed the need for additional data in a statement posted on the Nigeria Ministry of Health website.

GERMAN CHANCELLOR IN QUARANTINE German Chancellor Angela Merkel is undergoing voluntary quarantine after one of her physicians recently tested positive for SARS-CoV-2. Reportedly, the doctor administered a vaccination to Chancellor Merkel on Friday and then tested positive. At an address yesterday, Chancellor Merkel announced that Germany will implement further restrictions in order to curb the spread of COVID-19. The biggest changes include closing non-essential businesses and restricting gatherings of more than 2 people, excluding families.

DECONTAMINATING RESPIRATORS The University of Nebraska Medical Center (UNMC) published its internal procedures for utilizing ultraviolet germicidal irradiation (UVGI) to decontaminate N95 respirators. UNMC developed the procedures as a way to extend its inventory of N95 respirators during the COVID-19 response. Based on existing research illustrating both the effectiveness of UVGI on inactivating viruses (including other coronaviruses and on N95 respirators) and the minimal impact of the irradiation on the performance of the respirators, UNMC is implementing this program for high-demand areas of the hospital (e.g., emergency department and COVID-19 ward) and aims to expand it more broadly. Programs like this could potentially mitigate the burden of continued respirator use on existing health system inventory/stockpiles resulting from the COVID-19 response while production companies increase supply in the coming weeks and months. Separately, the Department of Health and Human Services is finalizing guidance to hospitals intended to inform operations while supplies of personal protective equipment, such as masks and respirators, are limited.

to get updates sign up

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post