SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 ... 1211
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
We live in interesting times...

I'm starting to think this is going to be a very troubling next few months. I still hold my initial opinion that this is essentially the flu, but the reported lack of immunity is now seriously troubling me. And the healthcare capacity to treat the elderly and compromised who need significant support (ventilators and ECMO) may become an issue. As it did in Italy. I read an article from a doc within an Italian hospital. Sobering...

At the epicenter.. the hospital... it may be very very tough. I sure hope I'm wrong.

https://www.thelocal.it/202003...coronavirus-outbreak

Posts: 11405 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
Article about the state of things in Italy.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/0...rus-health-care.html

Some snippets:

Giorgo Gori, the mayor of Bergamo, said that in some cases in Lombardy the gap between resources and the enormous influx of patients “forced the doctors to decide not to intubate some very old patients,” essentially leaving them to die. “Were there more intensive care units,” he added, “it would have been possible to save more lives.”

“The outbreak has put hospitals under a stress that has no precedents since the Second World War,” said Massimo Galli, the director of infectious diseases at Milan’s Sacco University hospital, which is treating many of the coronavirus patients. “If the tide continues to rise, attempts to build dams to retain it will become increasingly difficult.”

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
This was posted tonight by a friend from Royersford, PA, about 30 miles or so from Philly.

Our governor just announced that starting tomorrow all non-essential functions in the Montgomery county, PA would shut down. The only things to remain open are gas stations, medical facilities and grocery stores. It’s crazy, I’m not even sure he can order private businesses to close down without some sort of emergency declaration. I am supposed to go to work tomorrow, and I work in the county and I am not even sure what is going on at this point.

We have reached peak stupidity. Confused

Posts: 34063 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:

I clicked that link. At the top of the page it says "University of Minnesota - Driven to Discover" below which is a picture of a guy in a safety yellow vest wearing a mask trying to tase sasquatch. Is that fake news?

Posts: 11162 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
We live in interesting times...

I'm starting to think this is going to be a very troubling next few months. I still hold my initial opinion that this is essentially the flu, but the reported lack of immunity is now seriously troubling me. And the healthcare capacity to treat the elderly and compromised who need significant support (ventilators and ECMO) may become an issue. As it did in Italy. I read an article from a doc within an Italian hospital. Sobering...

At the epicenter.. the hospital... it may be very very tough. I sure hope I'm wrong.

https://www.thelocal.it/202003...coronavirus-outbreak

I think I posted a different link about this same Dr. and the overload on their medical system a number of pages back. Everyone who says it's just the flu, don't get the graphic that's been posted 20x about shifting the load on the medical system to the right. If we pass that line, it becomes triage. I love my grandfather, I don't want him to become an acceptable loss in an attempt to save others. I don't want my neighbor to die from something that otherwise wouldn't be deadly except for lack of capacity. I don't want some poor person watch their loved one die and not have a coroner or whoever come remove the body for 36 hours.

What we do now shifts the curve to the right and saves lives. Don't let your pride or belief 'it could never happen her' cloud your judgement, the US is not perfect or infallible.

China's cases are falling because a) they are lying, or b) they are containing it by welding doors shut of those infected or at high risk. We are not China, we can't do that.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20922 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
Youth baseball tournaments ARE NOT canceled in the Atlanta metro area. The schools are closed but ball games are still on (for now).

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4787 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
via Imgflip Meme Generator

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16198 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Two thoughts.

1-this is something to take seriously and is a little scary.

2-if you run soooo lean on toilet paper that you can’t go a week or two without a run on the stores......I have no sympathy. I ALWAYS have a ton TP in the house. Jesus I can see it now I will be repelling boarders and trading fire over my Charmin.......who’d a thunk. Smile.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7744 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:

I clicked that link. At the top of the page it says "University of Minnesota - Driven to Discover" below which is a picture of a guy in a safety yellow vest wearing a mask trying to tase sasquatch. Is that fake news?

It’s a legit site (dot edu). Squatchs are immune to viruses. Wink

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Flew through ATL today, wasn't as busy as it normally is, but a little less crowded. Didn't see as many N95 masks compared to last week, I expect that's because they're sold out now.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanner:
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:

It’s a legit site (dot edu). Squatchs are immune to viruses. Wink

Just in case it wasn't a joke, the "taser" is an infrared thermometer and the "Sasquatch" is a woman with long hair and a coat with furry lapels.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Wet to grocery store after work shit's gotten real.

Fear of Corona:

Fear of not being able to wipe your ass:

First time I've seen a run on local store. I've been ready for a while now. Went to get beer and smokes, left and went to gas station and bought my vices.

I'm done going into grocery stores until this shit ends.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20922 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
People are obviously rookies, you can wipe your ass just fine with Kleenex.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I was at Walmart this morning to pick up contacts and decided to pick up some extra boxes of baby diapers and a little more protein for the freezer.

There was zero toilet paper in the store. No antibacterial type cleaning supplies, including bleach.

The toilet paper thing cracks me up. I don’t get it. I have a bidet, but I still don’t get the toilet paper hoarding. They make that shit here. Maybe they think the toilet paper factory is closing down?

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

Or an oven mitt.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

Exactly what I thought when I saw the kleanex at 40% stocked. Bonus, if you get sick you can blow your nose.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
We have 0 confirmed cases in WV
Daughter went normal weekly shopping and stopped at 4 stores on the route home...no toilet paper!

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2928 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
They just announced that NM public schools will be closed for 3 weeks starting Monday.

Fucking hell.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17393 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
I have a bidet, but I still don’t get the toilet paper hoarding.

I am efficient, I have a shower in the same room as my toilet with a detachable head. I'm GTG. I also have TP and everything else I need to stay at home if I need to for a good amount of time. I'm safe for this zombie apocalypse or the next one.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MattW:
Flew through ATL today, wasn't as busy as it normally is, but a little less crowded. Didn't see as many N95 masks compared to last week, I expect that's because they're sold out now.

I just flew two days ago and it looked about normal to me.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30557 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post