SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 ... 1212
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:

Kentucky is basically in a lockdown, even though they haven’t called it that, as only grocery stores, drug stores, and a few other “essential services” are allowed to.

Lil’ Andy has been schooled by statute that businesses engaged in selling of firearms and ammunition don’t fall into his cute little executive power grab. By statute, 39A-100, he can’t order those businesses closed.

If they ever were to take the house and senate, be sure that will be removed for the “public good”.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37137 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
Virginia has closed schools for the rest of the year and issued a "non-essential business" closure for the next 30 days. Non-essential retail businesses can still operate so long as they keep customers down to 10 at a time. Many entertainment oriented businesses are closed and service oriented businesses like barber shops, beauty salons, and massage parlors are closed because you can't get your hair and nails did or a rub and tug without someone violating that whole 6 feet of space distance rule.

Oh and ya got until midnight tomorrow to violate that rule should you feel it necessary.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:

Let me simplify that.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20941 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
There has to be a model that shows what happens on the "other side" of the bell curve after the number of cases reach critical mass. It WOULD be interesting to see the rate of infection for the Swine Flu over that year. I fully realize the daily rate wasn't a "flat rate" and increased over time, but then eventually began a decline.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Looks like the 2020 Summer Olympics, supposed to take place in Tokyo, are being postponed. Olympic games have been cancelled completely in the past, but never rescheduled. Will probably be moved to 2021.

c|net

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16525 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Florida Man uses logic and reason:

"Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis said Monday that he wants to avoid imposing a statewide lockdown like many other states have done, saying he still believes targeting the counties hardest hit by the coronavirus for the most extreme measures is the preferable path.

DeSantis said about a third of Florida’s 67 counties have no confirmed cases and another third have few, so he doesn’t yet see the need to impose a near shutdown on their businesses that have been imposed in large counties such as Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach where the disease has spread into the community. Most of the counties with few or no infections are smaller ones along the state’s northern borders or surrounding Lake Okeechobee.." LINK

And, I don't have a link yet, but no more people from New York will be allowed to travel to Florida.

Edit: People coming to Florida from New York are being ordered to self-quarantine.

On a side note, my county is closing boat ramps at 5pm tomorrow. Morons. We had three cases, 1 recovered, 2 current.

Posts: 11215 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
But are they actually new cases, or just ones that have been discovered after testing. After all, the new ones had it yesterday, and the day before, it's just that now they are confirmed.

Maybe it's a distinction without a difference.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
But are they actually new cases, or just ones that have been discovered after testing. After all, the new ones had it yesterday, and the day before, it's just that now they are confirmed.

Yeah, it's a distinction without a difference.
You get it whenever you get it and no one knows... until you're tested and then it becomes a new case. Obviously, it's not counted until it's verified.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24328 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
There's most likely 500,000 people here with the beer flu already and maybe that many times 2 that had it without even knowing and recovered and went back to work. Hell, I had a nasty chest cold a few weeks back that kept me home for two days. Nobody I had contact with got sick.
The way they're reporting the test results as "new cases" is very misleading and the low info voters out there believe that means new transmission or that transmissions are accelerating.
But then again...wtf do I know.

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:

Yeah, it's a distinction without a difference.
You get it whenever you get it and no one knows... until you're tested and then it becomes a new case. Obviously, it's not counted until it's verified.

but the importance is it will show the disease to be 'much less bad' than the hysteria indicates

previously -- only highly symptomatic / really sick people were getting tested so naturally the CFR was higher with that population

with widespread testing -- we will find a LOT more cases -- but a LOT more lightly / mild / asymptomatic people.

that will cause the CFR to drop dramatically and hopefully cancel out this mass closure mantra

containing this virus should be targeted and strategic at this point not 'broad brush'

creating a Depression in 2020 is not an acceptable response for a virus with a fatality rate so low and which really is most dangerous to a specific subset of patients (basically 65-ish and older)

------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
I do need to stop following this so closely. I can't do a thing about what's going to happen, so all it does is add extra unneeded anxiety.
That would be a good course of action to take, in my opinion.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:

Let me simplify that.

Great graphic.

quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
^^^^^
There has to be a model that shows what happens on the "other side" of the bell curve after the number of cases reach critical mass. It WOULD be interesting to see the rate of infection for the Swine Flu over that year. I fully realize the daily rate wasn't a "flat rate" and increased over time, but then eventually began a decline.

There certainly is.

First, there's what we are trying to do now - slow the spread by reducing the number of exposures to infected people.

Right now, the estimated "reproduction rate" - the number of people each infected person infects, on average - is estimated to be around 2.5. So a really rough first order model is that when the number of infected people is "small" compared to the total population is that the nth "generation" of sick people has 2.5^n people in it.

All the "slow the spread" stuff is to try to make the 2.5 number smaller. If it is exactly 1, the number of sick people stays constant, if it goes below 1, the number of sick people starts to drop. If it is smaller but still over 1, the number of sick people still grows exponentially, but more slowly ) maybe slowly enough not to overwhelm all the hospitals.

The other way to reduce that value is by "herd immunity." Let's say we get to a point where 2/3 of the population is immune, either from having already gotten sick and gotten better, or from having gotten a not-yet-developed vaccine. At that point, what happens if we go back to all the same social behaviors that resulted in the 2.5 reproduction factor when a small number of people were sick?

Well, on average, an infected person will still expose 2.5 people in a way that would have transmitted the infection before - but 2/3 of those people are now immune and don't get sick again. The reproduction rate now is 2.5 * 1/3 = 0.83 and the spread of the disease dies out.

This is what happens with the flu each year. About 40% of the US gets vaccinated, some people have retained some degree of immunity from previous years, and once something like 10% of the population has gotten the year's flu and become immune, enough people are immune that the spread stops.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Ok, flame away, but I'm just gonna say it. This whole thing in the way its being advertised and handled is bullshit. Throw up fences and protections around nursing homes and hospitals, quarantine people at home with immune deficiencies, recommend everyone else wash their hands and try not to cough on each other, and lets get everyone else back to work and some sense of normalcy. The South Koreans did it right and they managed to deal with this bug without shutting down the entire country and crippling their economy. Will some people here continue to get sick with this approach? Sure. But the recovery rate is high and symptoms mild for the majority of people, so let's protect those at risk, stop the nonsense, hit this thing head on, and move forward.

Oh, and turn your damn TV's off for a while and stop feeding the BS brigade.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
This whole thing in the way its being advertised and handled is bullshit.

You're right... and that's probably about what will happen after a couple of weeks shut down.

“WE CANNOT LET THE CURE BE WORSE THAN THE PROBLEM ITSELF,” as Trump said in a late night tweet.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24328 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
For those that are skeptical about the COVID-19 pandemic and the response to it, why are you skeptical?

That's a really good question. Here are my thoughts.

I believe COVID-19 is dangerous. I believe people will die. However, the mortality rate is .7%, as stated by Dr. Birx, standing next to President Trump. This is not the 60-65% fatality rate for something like Ebola. Also, people are not bleeding out of their eyes and orfices like they would be with Ebola.

I also do not personally know anyone who has been affected by COVID-19. And by affected, I mean anyone that even has it, let alone became seriously ill or died. How many of us on SigForum can say we know someone affected by COVID-19?

I could however list dozens (maybe hundreds) of people I know already being affected by the economic impacts. Friends and colleagues that have already been laid off. Or will be laid off soon. People that are worried about how to pay their mortgage, how to keep their families afloat.

I was speaking with my sister earlier about the economic impacts and she had the best analogy I have heard. She said our economy is currently like a speeding, out of control freight train. The wheels are starting to lift off the tracks. We are about ready to derail. And if we do not get control immediately, and we do derail, getting the economy going again will be just as hard as it would be to fix the tracks, fix the train, put it back on the tracks and get it back up to speed.

It's not that I am completely dismissive of COVID-19. It's that I feel the reaction has caused damage to our economy that is too great.

Posts: 2328 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
There certainly is.

First, there's what we are trying to do now - slow the spread by reducing the number of exposures to infected people.

Right now, the estimated "reproduction rate" - the number of people each infected person infects, on average - is estimated to be around 2.5. So a really rough first order model is that when the number of infected people is "small" compared to the total population is that the nth "generation" of sick people has 2.5^n people in it.

All the "slow the spread" stuff is to try to make the 2.5 number smaller. If it is exactly 1, the number of sick people stays constant, if it goes below 1, the number of sick people starts to drop. If it is smaller but still over 1, the number of sick people still grows exponentially, but more slowly ) maybe slowly enough not to overwhelm all the hospitals.

The other way to reduce that value is by "herd immunity." Let's say we get to a point where 2/3 of the population is immune, either from having already gotten sick and gotten better, or from having gotten a not-yet-developed vaccine. At that point, what happens if we go back to all the same social behaviors that resulted in the 2.5 reproduction factor when a small number of people were sick?

Well, on average, an infected person will still expose 2.5 people in a way that would have transmitted the infection before - but 2/3 of those people are now immune and don't get sick again. The reproduction rate now is 2.5 * 1/3 = 0.83 and the spread of the disease dies out.

This is what happens with the flu each year. About 40% of the US gets vaccinated, some people have retained some degree of immunity from previous years, and once something like 10% of the population has gotten the year's flu and become immune, enough people are immune that the spread stops.
You do realize all of that is pure speculation by people who are essentially guessing. We haven't even begun to collect and analyze enough data on this bug to even begin to produce anything approaching accurate, fact based, estimates. As has been pointed to throughout this thread, government agencies have been spectacularly wrong on virtually every disease they've weighed in on, so I'm not about to listen to their BS this time around, especially at this point in the "pandemic".

And all of this bending or flattening the curve means absolutely nothing without a 'working' vaccine, which we won't have for months (at the earliest). At some point the government will either allow the economy to reopen and people to return to some sense of normalcy, or the country will collapse on itself because things cannot be put on hold indefinitely.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Ok, flame away, but I'm just gonna say it. This whole thing in the way its being advertised and handled is bullshit. Throw up fences and protections around nursing homes and hospitals, quarantine people at home with immune deficiencies, recommend everyone else wash their hands and try not to cough on each other, and lets get everyone else back to work and some sense of normalcy. The South Koreans did it right and they managed to deal with this bug without shutting down the entire country and crippling their economy. Will some people here continue to get sick with this approach? Sure. But the recovery rate is high and symptoms mild for the majority of people, so let's protect those at risk, stop the nonsense, hit this thing head on, and move forward.

South Korea has been doing extreme social distancing, aggressively pursues exposure tracking, and has done a TON of testing.

On a per-capita basis, South Korea has done 20 times as much testing as we have.

We can certainly catch up on testing rates, but they used tons of testing early on to keep their numbers of infections relatively low.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
We have a little over 500 confirmed cases and 7 total deaths here in CO. More people die each month from dildo accidents (I'm speculating) How many small businesses will be bankrupted over this?

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:

South Korea has been doing extreme social distancing, aggressively pursues exposure tracking, and has done a TON of testing.

On a per-capita basis, South Korea has done 20 times as much testing as we have.

We can certainly catch up on testing rates, but they used tons of testing early on to keep their numbers of infections relatively low.

We can do more tests and making them easier to do will help but right now, last I heard, we are around 1 positive out of ten. Will that person that insisted they be tested today want to be tested again next week when they think they have it again.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16429 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
(I'm speculating)

Damn, for a second I thought there was a story there.

Posts: 27295 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post