SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 ... 1207
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
"Someday this war's gonna end"

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17467 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^

I agree that Osterholm is a tremendous resource for the state. He tends to present worst case scenarios in the context of "If we do nothing, this is how bad it could get". He is sometimes quoted out of context as if that was a prediction.

I was encouraged to see that even he is saying we can't maintain these lockdowns for very long.

Posts: 8961 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
YouTube's algorithm is getting the read.

Posts: 11393 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:

The analogy is quite exact...

It is my hope that after 2-3 weeks, when we get a better feel for the numbers, that we can move back to something closer to normal. Thankfully, we have a President that is brilliant in business and in economics, and he is strong enough to make and weather a decision that will being scorn upon him.

I think I'd throw my support behind this approach. It makes far more sense to me than the path we're on now.

https://townhall.com/columnist...coronavirus-n2565417

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
I'm watching the press conference on TV - is it just my perception, or does President Trump look very tired?

I wouldn't be surprised if he is. He's working harder than a lot of people half his age would.

I'll bet he's running on 4-5 hrs of sleep tops, and has the health and economic welfare of 300 million people. Not to mention having to deal with all of this constant media BS. I'm sure he's tired.

Someone on his staff or Mrs. Trump, needs to force him into a bed and keep him there until he has had 6-8 hours, at least. As some executive officer/chief-of-staff observed "Sir, this is why you have a staff. Get in the damned bed."

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31455 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Article by Dr. Michael Osterholm. He’s considered one of the ‘go to’ experts on this topic in the world. I’ve been reading ‘everything’ on this pandemic and Osterholm knows his stuff and tells it like it is.
http://www.startribune.com/cor...osterholm/568978932/
Q. Are you hopeful about new potential treatments for COVID-19, such as chloroquine, that are being studied right now?

A. I am hopeful, but hope is not a strategy.

'The' most important question asked in the entire piece and we get a one sentence response? Really? Either the good doctor needs to share some more, or the author of this article is a moron for not pushing further.

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/...in-my-mouth-n2565463

Dr. Anthony Fauci, the Director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, expressed his contempt for the media on Sunday during an interview on CBS News' "Face the Nation."

"You said this week that you differed from the president in an assessment that a combination of two drugs, Hydroxychloroquine and Azithromycin, combined, could have an outcome that he described to the public," Margaret Brennan said. "Who is the president listening to and do you see a concern here that those drugs could become, basically oversubscribed, and there could be a shortage that could impact people who have persistent medical issues, like Lupus, and need those?"

"There's an issue here of where we're coming from. The president has heard, as we all have heard, are what I call 'anecdotal reports' that certain drugs work. So, what he was trying to do, and express, was the hope that it might work, let's try and push their usage," Fauci explained. " I, on the other hand, am not disagreeing with the fact that, anecdotally, they might work . But my view is to prove, definitively, from a scientific standpoint, that they do work. So I was taking a purely medical, scientific standpoint. And the president was trying to bring hope to the people."

"I think there's this issue of trying to separate the two of us," he said. "There isn't fundamentally a difference there. He's coming from a hope standpoint. I'm coming from it from a scientific standpoint."

Posts: 19590 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
I think I'd throw my support behind this approach...

I wouldn't argue too stringently against that approach.

Posts: 8628 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Dallas County just announced "Shelter-In-Place" starting tomorrow. I live in Tarrant County (Ft Worth), it is a foregone conclusion we will follow.

For those not in a S.I.P area, this is Los Angeles (already in S.I.P) last Friday at 6:60pm, taken on landing at LAX

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16713 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
But my view is to prove, definitively, from a scientific standpoint, that they do work.
How many dead bodies get to pile up before Fauci reaches "Definitively"? Just curious. Both these drugs are already approved for use, so how about we start giving them to a large group of both those infected and suffering symptoms, and those who have only tested positive, and see what happens. We're a bit past the standard bureaucratic red tape and process in my book, so let's apply a bit of common sense and hope and have at it. Any 'new' vaccine will have to pass through thousands of miles of government red tape before it can be available for use, so let's go with what we've got.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
But my view is to prove, definitively, from a scientific standpoint, that they do work.
How many dead bodies get to pile up before Fauci reaches "Definitively"? Just curious. Both these drugs are already approved for use, so how about we start giving them to a large group of both those infected and suffering symptoms, and those who have only tested positive, and see what happens. We're a bit past the standard bureaucratic red tape and process in my book, so let's apply a bit of common sense and hope and have at it. Any 'new' vaccine will have to pass through thousands of miles of government red tape before it can be available for use, so let's go with what we've got.

Who cares? If they aren't drugs that have huge list of side effects then just start using them, worst case scenario is that they don't prove as effective and we then know for sure that different routes are needed. With anecdotal evidence from China and others that it does help, we have nothing to loose until a better option comes online. As PDJT said, it's not going to kill anyone.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20834 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Call the health police, I broke the social distancing decree today!!

One of my neighbors called and reported his AC system was down (it's currently 85+ degrees here in Central Florida) and his calls to a couple AC companies returned little but a weak promise they'd 'try' and get to him in a couple days, as well as mentioning it would likely cost him a few hundred bucks for the visit given current conditions. Sooooooo, he called me and asked if..."I could look at it?" Contravening state and federal mandates, I went over to his house and found the condensate line on the air handler was plugged up and backing up which had set off the overflow switch and shut down the system. I got my small compressor, blew it out, added a bit of bleach to the line, and reset the system. All is now well and everything is back to normal. He paid me with a pair of Stella Artois' and I covertly returned to my own bunker before the authorities could get there and put me in shackles. Razz

wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
NY plans to start next Tuesday.

Let's pray and hope for good news in a week or two.

a little more info:

https://www.mediterranee-infec...oronavirus-covid-19/

The treatment being looked at in France:

treatment with the

hydroxychloroquine combination (200 mg x 3 per day for 10 days) + Azithromycin (500 mg on the 1st day then 250 mg per day for 5 more days),

as part of the precautions for use of this combination (with in particular an electrocardiogram on D0 and D2), and outside of marketing authorization. In cases of severe pneumonia, a broad-spectrum antibiotic is also used.

Posts: 19590 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of was0311
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Well that combo can cause heart failure, but fuck it, let's see how it works on a bunch of people.

Posts: 2654 | Location: Eastern NE | Registered: July 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by was0311:
quote:
quote:

Well that combo can cause heart failure, but fuck it, let's see how it works on a bunch of people.
Oh for Christ's sake. Really? Is it that F'ing difficult to determine if a potential recipient has any heart related problems? If yes, don't administer it to them. If not, the two drugs have been administered worldwide for over two decades to patients without racking up a huge body count, so I still see zero issue moving forward with using them for this bug.

Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
Dr. Fauci was refusing to say "yes, these drugs are a great treatment for coronavirus and will make things a lot better," because no one actually knows whether or not that's true.

It very well may be true, and I'm sure that he and everyone else wants it to be, but he's not going to say it until there is stronger evidence (which is in the process of being gathered).

It's also worth being careful using even well-understood drugs to treat a new/different illness, because every now and then we realize we didn't understand something quite as well as we thought and there is a dangerous interaction.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of was0311
posted Hide Post
quote:
the two drugs have been administered worldwide for over two decades to patients without racking up a huge body count

Not together. And together they are not a cure, so basically it is a last hope combo, cross you fingers.

Posts: 2654 | Location: Eastern NE | Registered: July 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gilded Sciences Remedesvir is further along in testing trials here and in China. They developed Sovaldi which cured HCV. Secondly there is some promising research with monoclonal antibody, which may serve as a bridge to a vaccine.

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:
so I still see zero issue moving forward with using them for this bug.

I love the arrogance of this guy. It actually really cracked me up. Oh you see, do ya? Thanks, doc.

Year V

Posts: 2632 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by was0311:
quote:
the two drugs have been administered worldwide for over two decades to patients without racking up a huge body count

Not together. And together they are not a cure, so basically it is a last hope combo, cross you fingers.

Last hope? Wtf?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30415 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post