SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 ... 1212
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
For those that are skeptical about the COVID-19 pandemic and the response to it, why are you skeptical?

Do you think that evil masterminds in their volcano bases (not including our resident evil mastermind with a volcano base) are out to profit from this? How, did they short the entire world economy?

Or is it you disbelieve everything.gov as being another ploy to further abrogate our natural rights?

Of do you disbelieve the MSM narrative? Two months ago the MSM couldn't spell mitochondria let alone tell you what it is in words the average person could understand. Other than their thriving on chaos, what benefit do they get from your skeptical view?

OR is it simply you see an average mortality rate and the number of people tested for it and can't reconcile even those numbers, much less the mixing pot of numbers thrown out by organization and .gov agencies?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31595 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
This morning on FakeBook, I asked a question to which I can not find an answer.

As of yesterday’s news conference (March 22 @ 5:00pm), the Gov of Kentucky said there are 104 confirmed cases (KY population is 4.4+ million). Jefferson County, where I am, has 30 of those cases (Jefferson County population is about 770,000+). Total number tested in Kentucky is 1866. Total Kentucky dead from COVID-19 is 3.

My question is: How many of those positive cases are hospitalized? How many are on at-home isolation? How many have recovered? I can not find the answer.

I keep hearing/seeing news reports of hospitals being overwhelmed with infected people. The Gov has NOT activated the National Guard, except for a joint agency Command Post operation at the Capital (Boone NG Center). NG units that would normally be activated for such relief operations are Medical, Food Services, Civil Engineer, Transportation, Security/Law Enforcement, etc.

So, I can not believe that hospitals, leastwise in a Kentucky, are overwhelmed with patients.

Kentucky is basically in a lockdown, even though they haven’t called it that, as only grocery stores, drug stores, and a few other “essential services” are allowed to function.

To me, the “cure” seems to be worse than the disease here.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2737 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by truckola:
Never made sense why the Chinese locked down 750 Million and we have frozen our economy. Now this might give some insight. https://pjmedia.com/trending/r...-coronavirus-deaths/
If even half true it makes more sense.

Whoa! 21M cell phones disconnected. Even if only 10% of that were due to Coronavirus death, that's still 2M deaths in China.

Posts: 1808 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I suggest that you guys just stop watching/reading the news altogether for a while.

Posts: 108262 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I suggest that you guys just stop watching/reading the news altogether for a while.

This is exactly what I told my employees today. They are scared to death from what is IMHO sensationalism.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5926 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

Indeed. Damn good advice.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30650 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
For those that are skeptical about the COVID-19 pandemic and the response to it, why are you skeptical?

Do you think that evil masterminds in their volcano bases (not including our resident evil mastermind with a volcano base) are out to profit from this? How, did they short the entire world economy?

Or is it you disbelieve everything.gov as being another ploy to further abrogate our natural rights?

Of do you disbelieve the MSM narrative? Two months ago the MSM couldn't spell mitochondria let alone tell you what it is in words the average person could understand. Other than their thriving on chaos, what benefit do they get from your skeptical view?

OR is it simply you see an average mortality rate and the number of people tested for it and can't reconcile even those numbers, much less the mixing pot of numbers thrown out by organization and .gov agencies?

Nice, four straw man arguments. The options you've posted for a person to be skeptical are: crazy, sovereign citizen, low information sheep, and stupid. Roll Eyes Good luck getting a serious answer. Big Grin

Posts: 11212 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.breitbart.com/poli...l-stuffed-with-pork/

Nancy Pelosi Proposes 1,120-Page Coronavirus Bill Stuffed with Pork

The bill includes a wish list of Democrats’ pet issues, including provisions on election law, payment for student loans, same-day voter registration, collective bargaining powers for unions, increased fuel emission standards for airlines, and the expansion of wind and solar tax credits.

Other provisions require corporations to include gender and racial diversity data to be reported to the federal government if they receive financial backing from the government.

Posts: 19700 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Here is what I know:

15,000 people (according to WHO and CDC) have died "globally" over the past 90 days from the Corvid19 virus.

Today, globally, 155,000 people will die of causes not affiliated with the Corvid19 virus.

Everything is relative.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dave7378:
quote:

This is exactly what I told my employees today. They are scared to death from what is IMHO sensationalism.

Sensationalism to say the least. If your sole source of "information" in this thing was the dominant "news" media, and you didn't already have a healthy skepticism for their "news" coverage, you'd probably about be a quivering lump hiding in the corner of your basement by now.

President Trump was right to call them out, once-or-twice, in the last two or three news conferences. The situation may be somewhat dire (and even that is probably overstating things), but these guys would have you thinking it's TEOTWAKI about now

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:

Other provisions require corporations to include gender and racial diversity data to be reported to the federal government if they receive financial backing from the government.

WTF! That bitch. That whole list was smh until this last deal. Got damn dems pulling shit like this, right now? Hopefully people read this and it keeps their dirty asses from winning the election in November. Damn. Mad

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12758 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
quote:

Here is what I know:

15,000 people (according to WHO and CDC) have died "globally" over the past 90 days from the Corvid19 virus.

Today, globally, 155,000 people will die of causes not affiliated with the Corvid19 virus.

Everything is relative.

Yep. Five people dead in Oregon tied to Corona, all of which were elderly with underlying health issues. I'll wager five people have died from falling in their shower over the past month.

Posts: 1831 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by saigonsmuggler:
quote:
Originally posted by truckola:
Never made sense why the Chinese locked down 750 Million and we have frozen our economy. Now this might give some insight. https://pjmedia.com/trending/r...-coronavirus-deaths/
If even half true it makes more sense.

Whoa! 21M cell phones disconnected. Even if only 10% of that were due to Coronavirus death, that's still 2M deaths in China.

I'll preface this by stating I don't trust the Chinese government at all.

I've seen a pretty good critique of this theory (massive drop in cell phone = due to death) from some telecom people I know. According to them China has been switching from 4g to 5g. There was some sort of data cap that applied to 4g that does not apply to 5g. What they've told me is that many people had multiple SIM cards, like 4-6+ in many cases. As they switch over to 5g they don't need all the extras. I can't remember all the specifics at the moment, but there was a totally plausible reason for the drop in numbers due to network changes.

PS - I still don't trust the Chinese government Wink

Posts: 1485 | Location: Kansas City  | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
New Mexico’s governor to order stay at home at 3pm new conference. For New Mexico’s fragile economy this will hurt. Oil prices are hurting the state as they budgeted at $50 a barrel. If she doesn’t exempt the oil patch things could get touchy.

Posts: 5715 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

Sensationalism to say the least. If your sole source of "information" in this thing was the dominant "news" media, and you didn't already have a healthy skepticism for their "news" coverage, you'd probably about be a quivering lump hiding in the corner of your basement by now.

I've not watched one bit of news on this situation, or any news coverage. I listen to all the press conferences, some YouTube videos, read stuff here, and some articles.

I'm concerned. It's somewhere between a couple thousand and 10's of thousands of deaths. For people like me and my wife, chances of requiring hospitalizations or death is increased. I'll be a hermit for a bit, and I'll plan for the worst and hope for the best.

I do need to stop following this so closely. I can't do a thing about what's going to happen, so all it does is add extra unneeded anxiety.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20939 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
^^^At your age, you should be A LOT more worried about the economic effects of this panic than the virus itself.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3992 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
PowerSurge, you've beaten the 'economic disaster' drum non-stop. We get the point.

Posts: 108262 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Understood.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3992 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
I do need to stop following this so closely. I can't do a thing about what's going to happen, so all it does is add extra unneeded anxiety.

We follow it closely so as to have something of a handle on our exposure. We mildly stocked-up about two-three weeks before things really started taking off outside of China, so we're pretty well all set. But, not having any clue how long things are going to last, we're replacing stocks as they're consumed. That means potential exposure.

As for the anxiousness: I just remarked to my wife about noticing mild behavioral changes in our cats. They're probably sensing our mood and reacting to that. We don't feel terribly anxious, but there's unquestionably a level of concern.

You might try One America News. We had it, and then dumped it because it was becoming "All Trump, All The Time," and what we wanted was news. I re-subscribed us a couple days ago because I couldn't tolerate the dominant media drama any longer. The difference is night-and-day.

We've taken to skipping through big chunks of the local "news." It's now down to about 10-15% news (and part of that is weather), and 85-90% pandemic drama of one sort or another. Oh, and the "sports" segment. Problem they have is there's not much sports to talk about, so they're down to talking about what sports there would be if there were sports. I kid you not.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
I will gladly go on record as one of several members here who are skeptical about all this data on the Wuhan China Flu. I know I keep harping on the 60,000,000 cases of Swine Flu in the U.S. during the 1-year period between 2009/2010. This source https://www.livescience.com/co...ic-vs-swine-flu.html states the CDC estimated 60.8 million cases (60,800,000) during that approximate 365 day period.

If we do simple math, that equates to 166,575 new cases per day. Right now, the U.S. has realized 40,500 TOTAL cases; approx. 494 cases per day as of 1-JAN...WELL below the daily average with the Swine Flu some 10 years ago. In terms of deaths, there are 473 recorded deaths as of yesterday, which was the 82nd day of the year. That rate equates to 5.76 deaths per day assuming this all started 1-JAN of this year. Ten years ago, the Swine Flu killed 12,500 people in a 365 day period, equating to 34 deaths per day.

... snip ...

The problem with your analysis is that it completely fails to account for how diseases spread.

With the swine flu in 2009, it wasn't that 166,000 people got it each day.

To MASSIVELY oversimplify... in the beginning, one person had swine flu. He gave it to two people. Those two people each gave it to two more people (four in the third "generation"). Those four each gave it to two more people (eight in the fourth "generation"). That doesn't sound so bad until you realize that there are about 1,000 people in the eleventh generation... and about a million in the twenty-first.

Right now, in the US, the number of active cases is doubling every two to three days.

Yesterday, there were about 33,000 active cases.

Three days before that, there were about 13,000 active cases.

So we got 20,000 new cases in 3 days. But we DON'T expect 20,000 more over the next three days from yesterday - we expect to have more than TWICE as many as we have now - if the trend continues, probably around 70-80k total.

I will put this picture up again. The orange line is new cases each day.

The problem is that the number of new cases each day is increasing, and increasing quickly, not staying the same.

Watch the small-scale, simplified simulation of disease spread in this article. One person is sick at the beginning, then two, then a few, then a small number... then very quickly, almost everyone. The later simulations give examples of methods used to control epidemics.

https://www.washingtonpost.com...ld/corona-simulator/

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post