SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 ... 1214
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Just got word that all manufacturers of PPE are now directed to only sell to the government. I'm looking for confirmation still...

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
Tax Deadline Extended to July 15

This may be a dumb question, but would this apply to State income tax returns too?

I would think that the states will follow along,...

Was just telling my wife the same thing. It's just a matter of hours before the announce it

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14160 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MattW:
Just got word that all manufacturers of PPE are now directed to only sell to the government. I'm looking for confirmation still...

Personal Protection Equipment, perchance?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:

Personal Protection Equipment, perchance?

Precisely Big Grin

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
PPE = Personal Protective Equipment

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 4015 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
a possible additional contributing factor to Italy's problems

https://www.redstate.com/eliza...-by-the-wuhan-virus/

Bucking the advice of the EU and the US, Italy’s prime minister, Giuseppe Conte, signed onto China’s Belt and Road Initiative (BRI). This strategy was adopted by China in 2013 for the purpose of increasing their geopolitical power. It involved partnering with a particular country to develop an infrastructure project within their borders. The participating countries are forced to finance the work through Chinese banks, use Chinese construction companies who send Chinese workers and materials to complete the project.

The Federalist’s Helen Raleigh, herself from China, explains that for Beijing, the BRI “provides new markets and consistent demand for China’s goods and services, creates employment opportunities for Chinese workers, and gives China access to strategically important locations and natural resources. Beijing’s real objective is to leverage its newly gained financial power to greatly expand its geopolitical influence as well as its economic and military footing from Asia to Europe and Africa.”

Although BRI has been profitable for China, it’s been far less beneficial for the participating countries. Raleigh writes that at least eight of their “partner” nations “are so indebted to the Chinese that they had to hand over their strategic assets to China to offset their debt.” I’m sure that was China’s hope. Yet, in 2019, the governments of both Italy and Iran, both struggling with weak economies, agreed to take part.

As part of the deal, Italy opened an array of sectors to Chinese investment, from infrastructure to transportation, including letting Chinese state-owned companies hold a stake in four major Italian ports. The deal gave communist China a foothold in the heart of Europe, but Conte downplayed it as “no big deal at all.”

Lombardy and Tuscany are the two regions that saw the most Chinese investment. Nearly a year later, the first Wuhan coronavirus infection case in Italy was reported in the Lombardy region on Feb. 21. Today, Italy is experiencing the worst coronavirus outbreak outside China, and Lombardy is the hardest-hit region in the country. As of March 14, Italy reported 24,747 cases and 1,809 deaths. Now the entire country is in lockdown until at least April 3. Its economy is expected to contract 7.5 percent in the first quarter, opposite what Conte had hoped.

Posts: 19759 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXLe:
@DocH

Is this a legitimate source?

CROI Webcast

It is indeed - Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections; just finished their annual conference (virtually) last week. A significant venue for cutting-edge researchers to submit abstracts, present, share and discuss their research - and an important source of continuing medical education for physicians and other healthcare providers. Originally set up in 1993 as a result of HIV research, but obviously now expanded.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Italy Italy Italy!

Roll Eyes

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44480 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
As far as Italy goes according to a Doctor friend of mine at UAB.

Johns Hopkins ranked nations healthcare systems on patient care and protection of health care workers. Italy was 59th, USA #1.

Italians have the one of the highest median age of the populations.

The median age of deaths in Italy is 79.5.

Smoking is still popular in Italy. Almost 30% smoke. USA 14%. This seems to be a big deal with Covid-19. We will see.

The Lombardy region had a large influx of infected people from the Wuhan province probably returners from Chinese New Year. Very large Chinese contingent travel back and forth on business.

There were approx. 10,000 quarantined in Lombardi that basically ignored it and went home throughout Italy.

Italians as a whole ignored directions to socially distance and carried on until the deaths started to accumulate.

He is still really nervous about this in the USA and it’s going to be a matter of months instead of weeks.

Another thing from someone who has communicated with Italian health care people is that they ran out of beds so they basically used those for younger people that had the best chances of surviving. The elderly were on there own and therefore the high mortality rate. (Obviously I can't document this but it seems very plausible to me)

I posted an article a few dozen pages ago with an interview with an Italian doctor talking about that being the case.

It's something that medical experts are concerned may happen here, hence all the talk about "flattening the curve" (slowing down the rate of infection so that cases are spread out over more time and hospitals are less overwhelmed).

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE
The media never misses an opportunity to exaggerate and sensationalize any problems. They are causing almost all of the problem and knee jerk over-reactions with their doomsday reporting. I have really come to hate and despise all media organizations for their lies and distortions of facts.[/QUOTE]

Trump agrees. He's really dumping on the media during his current press conference. He's taken his gloves off and pounding the shit out of them. Big Grin

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Another thing from someone who has communicated with Italian health care people is that they ran out of beds so they basically used those for younger people that had the best chances of surviving. The elderly were on there own and therefore the high mortality rate. (Obviously I can't document this but it seems very plausible to me)

That was addressed indirectly in the WSJ article I posted on page 165. A couple of quotations with emphasis added:

“Most are headed to the Papa Giovanni XXIII Hospital, a large, modern medical facility in a prosperous Italian city that has been overwhelmed by the coronavirus disease. There aren’t enough ventilators to intubate all patients with Covid-19 who have severe breathing trouble. The intensive- care unit is taking almost no patients older than 70.

“The hospital had planned to send severe cases to Bergamo. ‘But we got indications that, if patients are over 65 or 70, they won’t get intubated,’ said Davide Grataroli, one of the hospital doctors. ‘So, we’ve chosen to manage them here as best we can.’”

So all that’s good news for the young whippersnappers here: If you’re young, you’re less likely to develop a life-threatening condition; if you do, you’re more likely to be deemed worthy of being kept alive; and—bonus!—the Social Security and other retirement rolls are likely to be pruned back a little sooner than otherwise. Wink

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47699 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
Really glad that Trump is giving it to those despicable "reporters."

Year V

Posts: 2672 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
Really glad that Trump is giving it to those despicable "reporters."

No kidding and he's naming names. I love it.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I've been openly critical of how Trump handles the media in many cases, but have never been more proud than when he nailed the media for being more concerned with sensationalism than accurate reporting. The media is making this way worse than it has to be, and are doing everything they can to undermine efforts and spread panic.

Go TRUMP!

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38221 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Maladat and Sigfreud, I deleted.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5721 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
sister in law just got tested. woke up with 101 fever and sore throat.

She has recently been in Orlando and Texas. About 2 weeks ago.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maladat and Sigfreud, I deleted.

I can't speak for Sigfreund, but I wasn't complaining that you posted a subject that has already been talked about, I was confirming that it's more than just a "heard from a friend who heard from a friend" thing.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Cops investigating ‘disturbing trend’ of teens coughing on produce

A group of teenagers filmed themselves coughing on produce at a Virginia grocery store, and then posted the sick stunt to social media — a “disturbing trend” amid the coronavirus pandemic.

“We have learned that this appears to be a disturbing trend on social media across the country, and we ask for help from parents to discourage this behavior immediately,” Purcellville police said in a Facebook post Thursday.

“We are asking for parental assistance in monitoring your teenagers’ activities, as well as their social media posts to avoid the increase of any further such incidents.”

The cops didn’t cite other specific incidents but urged parents to “talk with your children and explain to them why such behavior is wrong.”

The grocery store, which was not mentioned by name, removed the befouled fruits and veggies. The teens remain at large.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8555 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post