SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 ... 1211
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
CA Governor issues state-wide 'stay at home' order

Does that apply to the campers?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24260 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay, 15 days to slow the spread but what are the target numbers in 15 days and what if we're not there? Then what, how long do we do this?

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3572 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16817 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
Why wasn’t all this shit done for HIV/AIDS back in the 1980’s? Now that was a death sentence back then.

Well, for one thing, most people don't have unprotected sex with the random person standing next to them while waiting in line to check out at the grocery store.

If you were old enough to remember the AIDS scare, you’d remember that there was a lot of panic and what we NOW know was misinformation about how HIV was spread and contracted back then.

It wasn’t as simple as you make it sound.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3984 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Some time way back the states passed emergency powers laws. It authorized them to do almost anything once the governor declares a state of emergency.

quote:
Originally posted by mark_a:
I'm amazed someone hasn't sued the shit out of some of these power crazy governors.

They need to dock their pay and turn the power off at the governors mansion. Let them see how fun it is to live hungry and in the dark

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
I don't know about the national guard activity for those dispatched to Broward county, but we sure have been hearing a lot more fire / fire rescue sirens in the distance the past two or three days. You can tell the difference between them and the local police sirens. We haven't been out and about in days except out in our yard, but even neighborhood traffic is significantly less. People are still out walking their dogs and walking/running. My wife and I enjoy taking walks but have refrained for a few days since we had some mild to moderate "cold symptoms" and cough but we are feeling quite a bit better today so no real concerns about us having to get tested or anything. We are still telling others not to visit us or stop by for at least another week and a half to two weeks to be on the safe side and do our part to keep others safe.

We can smell grilling going on daily which we've also done a couple times in the last week as well. I must say, we are pretty much at peace with ourselves and making the most of the time with our two daughters. It's actually been more enjoyable than stressful expect for some worrying about friends and family, particularly my parents and others up in age, but they are taking it in stride as well, and even with a sense of humor. We have faith that God will see us all through this and continue to provide us with comfort and peace. Be careful and stay well everyone.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
The thing that irritates me is that the news is reporting a dramatic increase in positive cases.

But they are stopping short of saying that these were part of the back log of tests that are now getting processed quickly and these people are already in quarantine. Federal and our State experts said that several times. Numbers will climb until the backlog is complete.

I want to know the number of positives that weren't part of that backlog.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38050 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:

Senator Burr,we have a problem!

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:

Good point. Even without backlog, increases today only represent yesterday's tests at best. Increase of confirmed cases today of almost 5000 were tests performed previously.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thunderson:
quote:

Good point. Even without backlog, increases today only represent yesterday's tests at best. Increase of confirmed cases today of almost 5000 were tests performed previously.

Everyone is freaking out about Italy and telling us what happened there IS happening here. Yet I don't recall hearing how fast they reacted, or how many (+) migrated into that country as the outbreak began compared to what came here.

Need to know info...

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38050 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Why wasn’t all this shit done for HIV/AIDS back in the 1980’s? Now that was a death sentence back then.

Well, for one thing, most people don't have unprotected sex with the random person standing next to them while waiting in line
to check out at the grocery store.

Well, not since the 70’s at least. Smile

Posts: 6960 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’d like to see numbers on new cases and new hospitalized cases. If our concern is overwhelming the system it would be nice to know what percentage of these positives are taking up bed space.

Posts: 251 | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
3 dead so far here in the local area.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12735 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I'm not looking at cases, I'm looking at deaths. Those are rising rapidly also, albeit from a much smaller base. NYC went from 11 to 22 deaths from yesterday to today. We'll see what tomorrow brings. But if it's doubling day to day, the body count is going to get big quick.

quote:
The thing that irritates me is that the news is reporting a dramatic increase in positive cases.

But they are stopping short of saying that these were part of the back log of tests that are now getting processed quickly and these people are already in quarantine. Federal and our State experts said that several times. Numbers will climb until the backlog is complete.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BBMW,

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by equivet:
I’d like to see numbers on new cases and new hospitalized cases. If our concern is overwhelming the system it would be nice to know what percentage of these positives are taking up bed space.

been shared a bunch of times
world of meters - US

cant tell you the amount of hospital beds/ICU space we are occupying. but out of the 13,927 active cases here. 64(0.005%) are in critical/serious condition. so...at least 64 beds...

Posts: 775 | Location: FL | Registered: November 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
The problem with the John Hopkins website is that they are quick to update their infected numbers but are not updating the resolved figures very frequently even though there are clearly people being interviewed that had it and resolved or didn't even know they were infected, and also some government officials have also reported resolved infections.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by alteon180e:
quote:
Originally posted by equivet:

been shared a bunch of times
world of meters - US

cant tell you the amount of hospital beds/ICU space we are occupying. but out of the 13,927 active cases here. 64(0.005%) are in critical/serious condition. so...at least 64 beds...

I find that hard to believe since 200+ dead in the US, are you in the US?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20922 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:...Trump posted this on March 16th so I'm in wait and see mode until April 1st.

And then he looks in the camera and shouts: "APRIL FOOLS!!!"

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44049 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by thunderson:
quote:

Everyone is freaking out about Italy and telling us what happened there IS happening here. Yet I don't recall hearing how fast they reacted, or how many (+) migrated into that country as the outbreak began compared to what came here.

Need to know info...

According to FNC, 99.2% of those who succumbed in Italy had at least one serious underlying medical condition. 48% had at least three, which I presume is cardiopulmonary related. Oh and the average age of Italy’s population is greater than the U.S. by 7.4 years. Interesting how the latter variable has been ignored yet it is probably the most significant driver, besides co-morbidities.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Well, for one thing, most people don't have unprotected sex with the random person standing next to them while waiting in line to check out at the grocery store.

Well damn! The 80s sounds awesome!

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post