SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 ... 1212
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
@ Para,
I went to the store last night because I know they will close em down eventually.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11368 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
The fucking part was not said against retirees, ...

Bullshit! You're just annoyed you're not a retiree, fucking or otherwise.

Tis true, it's what I aspire to be. Even as a kid when people asked me what I wanted to be when I grow up, my answer was always - independently wealthy.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20924 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
PA Gov Wolf just ordered all non-life-sustaining businesses to close, and enforcement will begin tonight. The list of businesses can be found here. This likely includes gun stores.

Posts: 2341 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of was0311
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
Italy currently has about half the number of confirmed cases of China, but Italy's death total is now slightly larger than China's.

China: 81,155 confirmed , 3,249 deaths

Italy: 41,035 confirmed , 3,405 deaths

Excluding the obvious of China not accurately reporting. Italy has one of the oldest populations in Europe.

On to Italy, it hit fast.

Posts: 2654 | Location: Eastern NE | Registered: July 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
I took one for the team today and parked my ass outside the ER all day scanning patients and family, and the occasional addict looking for the vitamin D. Its job security for now.

Posts: 2020 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Tell me something- just what is the logic behind shutting down liquor stores? Everything is closed and everyone is home. WTF is the problem with having a drink under those circumstances? You're sittin' on your couch in your own home. That's the best place to drink.

Mary Sue has the flu, so no booze for you. Makes no sense to me.

The other problem with closing all the liquor stores is that at the same time they're trying to clear beds in the hospitals for possible influxes of coronavirus patients, they're ensuring there will be a bunch of alcoholics with the DTs in emergency rooms.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Getting really pissed off listening to MSM reporting on people testing positive for the virus like it's a fucking death sentence.

Posts: 2506 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
quote:
Great, getting screwed over on the bailout, we'd be mostly phases out of bailout money, but they'll have no problem making me pay for it. All the years and years of paying my taxes and the time I need it, nope, sorry, can't help you. Where I live $75k a year is barely middle class, and is dirt poor in NYC or SF. Thanks government,.

McConnell's coronavirus stimulus plan would provide payments of $1,200 per person, $2,400 for couples

Either give it to everyone or means test it, this screws a lot of us in the middle. Giving it to fucking retirees? What income have they lost?

Well Jesse, my wife and I are "fucking retirees" who donated to the government for around 55 years each and we discussed it and we will probably give it to a good cause to help someone that will need it more than we do. I'll bet there will many that will do the same.

Think before you post please. Confused

Jim

The fucking part was not said against retirees, it was against giving money to people that haven't lost money getting checks. I have zero angst with retirees.

I'm a little worked up here from losing my income from this thing. I'll survive, but its going to kill my savings.

Got it. I get a little worked up about being lumped into a generic demographic that is older retirees. It happens often enough as it is.

I really hope that you weather this storm and I can understand the worry that you are going through. We really don't need it but it will be going someplace where it will do some good.

Ensigmatic, we too are still donating via taxes but to a far smaller degree that we were when working. I pray for the future with this added debt that will need to be paid eventually.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
If they really want the data to be accurate, I would imagine they would need to come up with a blood test that tests for coronavirus anti-bodies in the blood that people can take as part of their annual wellness exams or when they have a blood draw at some point, to see how many people come back as actually having been exposed and never having symptoms or having mild symptoms dismissed as a cold, allergies, etc. Obviously it wouldn't be a 100% sample but a lot better than not knowing.

Not sure if a test like that would even be possible (maybe compare blood test results with those that have been confirmed to have recovered from it?), but it does seem like it would provide very valuable insight and information.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tell me something- just what is the logic behind shutting down liquor stores? Everything is closed and everyone is home. WTF is the problem with having a drink under those circumstances? You're sittin' on your couch in your own home. That's the best place to drink.

Mary Sue has the flu, so no booze for you. Makes no sense to me.

The ONLY thing I can think of is that in some states like Virginia, ABC stores are gubmint operations. Can't have folks getting kung flu at a gubmint building. That's my WAG and no it really doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

There is gonna be a run on cornmeal, sugar, potatoes, and yeast.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scientific Beer Geek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by holdem:
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:

They used some official test in a box, it was mailed off, and they will supposedly know the results in a week.

Can one of the more medically educated members of the forum explain why this is?

When I or my child gets a flu test, they jam a long q-tip up my nose, I sit in the office by myself for 10 minutes and they come back and say, "You have Flu B."

If COVID-19 is so dangerous that they are willing to crash the world economy and come close to martial law, why does it take a week to get a test result? Does it require some sort of special lab to test for it?

There is no simple test for COVID-19. They must perform RT-PCR testing and test for specific RNA sequences. The Flu Test is probably either antibody or enzymatic which can be very fast comparatively.

RT-PCR must amplifies the viral RNA or specific DNA sequences that are made after viral infection. RT-PCR must have time to screen for the viral RNA and then the results must be analyzed on a computer.

This is a way over simplified description of the principle behind the COVID-19 test kit.

Mike (Molecular Biologist/Immunologist)

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2080 | Location: Philadelphia Suburbs | Registered: August 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TexasScrub:
I took one for the team today and parked my ass outside the ER all day scanning patients and family, and the occasional addict looking for the vitamin D. Its job security for now.

I emailed my boss and told him I needed more shoe covers.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20924 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
"Anti-gun hypocrites"

As the man points out, gun owners panic buy guns and ammunition only when we think the government is going to ban this or that. We already have sufficient numbers and types of firearms, and ammo to go with them. The people queed up at the gun stores are a mix of first time gun buyers and anti-gun hypocrites. And all these people are buying hardware that they don't know how to use, and that makes them unsafe gun owners.

If it's even possible for this calamity to have a silver lining, this is a big part of it- everybody- at least those people forced to live in the real world- wants guns now. All the posturing has disappeared. It will come back, there's no doubt about that, but it will come back much weaker.

Posts: 108103 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:
Just informed that my brother was let go by his employer. No shit, he made $75,600 in 2018. So he isn’t eligible or is he? He isn’t looking for a handout and he has savings but the stimulus is a kick in the nuts to someone just laid off that barely misses the cut.

Answer is in the linked article.

The rebate amount is slated to then be reduced by $5 for each $100 a taxpayer’s income exceeds the legislation's threshold. The amount is therefore reduced to zero for single taxpayers with incomes exceeding $99,000 and $198,000 for joint filers.

The IRS would determine income based on taxpayers' 2018 tax returns, or 2019 tax returns in cases where there is no 2018 return -- a provision that The Federalist's Sean Davis called "idiotic," given that many "jobs or businesses disappeared within the last month."

He'll get most of it.

--K

Posts: 178 | Registered: January 27, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Anti-gun hypocrites"

As the man points out, gun owners panic buy guns and ammunition only when we think the governemnt is going to ban this or that. We already have sufficient numbers and types of firearms, and ammo to go with them.

If it's even possible for this calamity to have a silver lining, this is a big part of it- everybody- at least those people forced to live in the real world- wants guns now. All the posturing has disappeared. It will come back, there's no doubt about that, but it will come back much weaker.

Reality bites them in the seat cushion; I was hoping and dreaming of this scenario.

Posts: 3252 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
I really hope that you weather this storm and I can understand the worry that you are going through. We really don't need it but it will be going someplace where it will do some good.

Jim

Thanks man. I will be fine. Wife recently got a raise we have money in savings and no debt minus her student loans, mortgage, and my car. Just going to sting. I average 25 jobs per week. I'm scheduled for three next week if they don't cancel. Was middle kitchen remodel that's indefinitely on hold now. But I make some damn good laundry room dinners.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kranky:
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:
Just informed that my brother was let go by his employer. No shit, he made $75,600 in 2018. So he isn’t eligible or is he? He isn’t looking for a handout and he has savings but the stimulus is a kick in the nuts to someone just laid off that barely misses the cut.

Answer is in the linked article.

The rebate amount is slated to then be reduced by $5 for each $100 a taxpayer’s income exceeds the legislation's threshold. The amount is therefore reduced to zero for single taxpayers with incomes exceeding $99,000 and $198,000 for joint filers.

The IRS would determine income based on taxpayers' 2018 tax returns, or 2019 tax returns in cases where there is no 2018 return -- a provision that The Federalist's Sean Davis called "idiotic," given that many "jobs or businesses disappeared within the last month."

He'll get most of it.

--K

Well we were below in 2018, need to drop my taxes off ASAP for 2018. Forms sitting at home waiting for my signature.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
I fixed you up, man

Thanks boss!

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5696 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
PA Gov. Fuckstick just closed all "non-life-sustaining" businesses in the state effective 8:00pm tonight:

https://www.readingeagle.com/n...19-276eabde3f5c.html

HARRISBURG — Gov. Tom Wolf is tightening his directives to businesses to shut down, issuing a dire warning and saying Thursday that all “non-life-sustaining” businesses in Pennsylvania must close their physical locations by 8 p.m. to slow the spread of the coronavirus.

Enforcement actions against businesses that do not close their physical locations will begin Saturday, Wolf said in a statement.

“I had hoped for voluntary compliance so our public safety officials could focus on assisting with the crisis," Wolf said in a video statement. "Unfortunately we have not seen full compliance. We have no time to lose.”

Under Wolf's order, more than 150 types of businesses have been told to close their physical locations.

Wolf said his order would be enforced by state troopers, local officials, the state Health and Agriculture departments and the Liquor Control Board.

Businesses that fail to comply risk citations, fines or license suspensions, and "forfeit their ability to receive any applicable disaster relief and/or may be subject to other appropriate administrative action," Wolf's office said in a statement.

Criminal prosecution is also a possibility, with violators subject to fines or imprisonment, Wolf's office said.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4605 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Dewine will probably follow. Can't be one-upped. So I will temporarily be out of income. On a positive note our state liquor store is in a Rite Aid pharmacy so they will probably not get shut down. Might close that aisle though I guess.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5696 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post