SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 ... 1212
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Honestly don't know what to think about this. Alaska just got their first positive case, so let the games begin.

Been through ebola, SARS, etc. and survived, but I have never seen the level of quarantines, closures, etc. that is going on now. The hospital is taking it seriously and already the amount of preventative measures is becoming tedious. Like Chongo, I fully expect I may get it and I fully expect work to be a major pain in the ass for the next several weeks.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11823 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
One positive point....

We don't have roaming bands of hangry monkeys....

https://www.zerohedge.com/heal...rist-food-disappears

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Each cancelation being mentioned in the thread with a corresponding; "They're crazy now too" is missing the forest for the trees.

EVERYTHING is going to be canceled but the Hospitals.

EVERYONE is going to be asked/told/made to isolate so that the spread can stop. I think the goal was eradication but, I suppose now it's damage control. None of us are ever going to forget this year. We're just beginning.

Just my personal opinion/estimation, but if the capacity of the health care system can keep up, we should see much lower death rates than 3%. But even at just 1/3rd of 1% (0.003), my math shows over a million deaths IF we cannot contain this, and it roams the whole nation. And there's no clear indication that we will at this point. Quite the opposite.

I don't expect normality for months. Several perhaps. And then it will just feel more normal. I'm not panicking. Though I am now gravely concerned. This coming from the SF member (me) who was on the other side of the discussion 30 or so pages ago.

Posts: 11406 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
We will be replenishing our cold and flu meds stock.

What do you recommend?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:

Just my personal opinion/estimation, but if the capacity of the health care system can keep up, we should see much lower death rates than 3%. But even at just 1/3rd of 1% (0.003), my math shows over a million deaths IF we cannot contain this, and it roams the whole nation. And there's no clear indication that we will at this point. Quite the opposite.

Your calculation assumes a 100% infection rate in the population. That just doesn't happen.

Posts: 8987 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:

Your calculation assumes a 100% infection rate in the population. That just doesn't happen.

Ah! Very fair, thank you for that! I do work in healthcare, and the last few days of prep and somberness is rattling me.

Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
People are obviously rookies, you can wipe your ass just fine with Kleenex.

Pro tip - bidet toilet seats are not yet sold out. With air dry feature, no paper required...

https://www.amazon.com/Ultimat...TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I tried to pay for my meal at McDonalds with a roll of toilet paper. They threw in a couple apple pies and a happy meal toy.

Posts: 17941 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GA Gator:
Youth baseball tournaments ARE NOT canceled in the Atlanta metro area. The schools are closed but ball games are still on (for now).

You might want to check again.

https://aausports.org/news.php?news_id=1875381

My daughter plays travel softball. All of the leagues she plays in (PGF, USSSA, NSA) fall under the purview of the AAU. She was supposed to play a USSSA tourney this weekend. We are waiting on an official announcement from USSSA, but I think it's a foregone conclusion at this point.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:

You're right, but some epidemiologists have said they think the overall infection rate could be as high as 40-70% of the population of the US within the next year, given the observed transmission rates and lack of any existing immunity in the population (because there's no vaccine and no one has ever had it before).

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post

First the DOW tanks. Now the damned cat.

I'm ruined.

Be sure to protect your investment!

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31572 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Snow Day, bitchezz

I’ve been saying this is like a snow day in the south especially when they start forecasting 8” or so. Everyone starts getting a bit excited feeling like something big is about to happen. The likely result is you get to stay home and watch it rain a bit while trying to figure out how to use all the damn groceries you bought.

Posts: 17941 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
If OH may have an estimated 100k cases of undiagnosed Corona cases, why all the shutdowns? It sounds like it will run it’s course regardless.

So far the 2009 outbreak was MUCH worse in the USA, never got near the fuss.

Posts: 6243 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
If OH may have an estimated 100k cases of undiagnosed Corona cases, why all the shutdowns? It sounds like it will run it’s course regardless.

So far the 2009 outbreak was MUCH worse in the USA, never got near the fuss.

That’s because people are becoming more and more emotional and less and less logical.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3988 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
You know what is annoying the hell out of me? I'm mid kitchen remodel. Already been going on for seven months, probably not going to be completed for a while now.

I went ahead and installed the oven plug and set it in place. Put plywood on top of two of the cabinets. So now I can at least use the oven. I really want my kitchen done. Three years no dishwasher and seven months of cooking in my laundry room, plus whatever delay this will cause. I'm going to feel like a king whenever it's actually done.

Fun fact I have discovered, you can use a grill to cook just about anything.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20927 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
True, but flushing Kleenex can cause problems, as it doesn't dissolve as well as toilet paper.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16574 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
quote:
True, but flushing Kleenex can cause problems, as it doesn't dissolve as well as toilet paper.

May seem to be overlooking the fact that they already own an alternative to a bidet and Kleenex should TP really become unobtainable. It’s already been mentioned in the thread. The shower. It won’t be fun or pretty and you’ll be using your soap faster than you like but it beats doing nothing. You can use TP more sparingly to blast the worst of the cling-ons and let soap and water finish the job. We’ve overcome bigger challenges as a species Big Grin

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15699 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ohio's Top Health Official Says "We Believe 100,000 People" Already Infected With Covid-19 In State

https://www.zerohedge.com/poli...fected-covid-19-ohio

Ohio's top public-health official said during a press conference on Thursday where the state's governor announced a three-week closure of all schools in the state that her office estimates that as many as 117,000 people in the state have already been infected with the novel coronavirus.

During the press conference, a clip from which we've included below, Department of Health Director Amy Acton said that the virus has likely been spreading in the "community" of Ohio, and that, given the number of weeks it has likely been present, at least 1% of the state's population likely already have the virus.

"We know now based on the basic facts of community spread we know now that at the very least 1% of our population is carrying this virus...We have 11.7 million people, so that just gives you a sense of how this virus spreads, and how it's spreading quickly," Acton said.

Posts: 12842 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
You know what is annoying the hell out of me? I'm mid kitchen remodel. Already been going on for seven months, probably not going to be completed for a while now.

There ought to be a thread for that...
Or am I missing what your kitchen has to do with the coronavirus?

BTW: Nice oven.
Further thread drift: My wife recently had a small oven fire. She threw baking soda on it. That put out the fire, but wiped out the bake element. So, I know what it's like to be without an oven.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24293 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post