SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ... 1212
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
First, know that I'm not even remotely Anti-Vax.

But it just occurred to me that I can't even remember the last time I've had a Flu shot. I've no idea, off hand. It's been years. Many years.

Is that dumb? Am I wrong or being foolish? I'm a healthy dude, about 50 now, pretty fit for a non-professional athlete, etc. But I don't get sick much. Thr ocasional cold or brief seasonal allergies maybe.

I'm not "making some stand", really I just never think of it or worry about it.

Should I, anyway? I guess I don't know the correct answer to that (,musing, thinking aloud).

Hmmm.

The very short answer is, yes. And a little longer explanation - the vaccine (whatever is current) may not protect you from getting the flu (whatever is current), or at least some symptoms from same. What it will do is provoke an immune response you wouldn't otherwise have - most likely against the flu strain going around at the time. Which will not then make you as ill as you might have been otherwise, because your body will be alerted that something bad may attack it, and have antibodies prepared. And it will "remember" for future, similar baddies, at least for awhile. There are risks associated with introducing immune-provoking agents into your system, including an allergic response. But overall, risks are significantly lower than not having your soldiers ready and waiting at the wall, when the barbarian hordes invade. Because the barbarian hordes may sack your city if they get through, leaving nothing behind. And the more of the horde you kill, the less likely they are to invade neighboring kingdoms.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doc H.,

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
We may be on our way to this being endemic in the population due to the community of spread by healthy individuals. Co-morbidity seems to be a bigger factor than covid-19 alone for severity. It will take time for the population to tamp down this bug. We may learn a few things about staying healthy and avoiding diabetes, heart failure, copd and dementia in our elder years. Take care all.

Posts: 3560 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amals:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
I use a corny trick a PT friend gave me when I fly commercial - Take antibiotic ointment like bacitracin or neosporin (if you don’t have common allergy to neomycin), squirt some on a Q-tip and wipe it around the inside of your nostril. Turn it around goop up the other end and hit your other nostril. You now have a sticky physical barrier to stop people’s funk from getting to you through your sinuses and an antibiotic effect too.

I dunno if it works, but I’ve not gotten sick on a flight since I started doing it. Nope, I don’t fly commercial enough for that to mean much statistically, but it doesn’t appear to hurt anything either.

I'm not sure antibiotics will be very helpful against a virus like the flu or the coronavirus. But i suppose it will act as a barrier of some sort. One still has to breath though.

My grandmother taught us that trick way back when I was a child in the fifties/sixties. She suggested Vaseline, but the idea was similar. Not so much antibiotic, but a barrier, and perhaps the notion "germs don't do well in grease", or some such. Don't know if that's true or not, but the idea of a barrier covering your mucus membranes does make sense to me, as does the idea that it can help heal dry, cracked membranes so they function better. Any docs want to comment?

Yes. The antibiotic part of the ointment might help with bacterial contamination, but all you have is the physical barrier against viral stuff. Still, it is unlikely to cause any problems and may help with some. YMMV.

Posts: 6959 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Loaf of bread, gallon of milk.

Each time there is a overnight forecast of a half inch of snow (don't even count that the forecast for the next day is supposed to rebound into the 50s), you can't find a loaf of bread, eggs, or milk in any store. People are panicky by nature.

Throw in media hype of an epic proportion and this is what you get.

There is a whole lot of supposition in this thread, and the media about this virus. And it is causing some people to lose their minds. I have a friend that is in full panic mode. He texted me last night to ask what local jurisdictions were doing to "prepare" for the outbreak. I told him that I stopped licking toilet seats to do my part. He never texted back.

In trying to do a little independent reading on this, I probably found some of the best reporting involved on Al Jezerra of all places. It seemed to be the least biased of what I have read. Based upon a little common sense, most of what I have read leads me to believe that the infection count in the United States and abroad is probably much larger than reported. I'd wager to bet that the goes for the number that are deceased as well. This virus mimics the symptoms of the Flu. China isn't known for it's healthcare nor human rights. How long has this really been going on in China without detection? How many people have been sick or have died from what was suspected to be the flu in China, the US or other places before this virus was located, and the media have told us all to panic leading to toilet paper shortages?

I suspect that this virus isn't six weeks new, it's just the discovery is. Travel to and from third world countries isn't new and just didn't start six weeks ago. We have just recently been told to panic over it. It you read anything on MSDNC or CNN, we are all doomed.

It's good that people are taking the transmission of illness seriously. But, the reaction of some are way over the top. I suspect that if you treat prevention like any other illness, good hand washing and personal hygiene for instance, you're probably going to be fine.

I think if we go back and read the replies on Page 1 or 2 of this thread I think you'll find them to be pretty spot on. Back before the media has "educated" us with "experts". There were far more dead on the first post than 4 I would wager. It's just all we knew about at the time.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37133 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I’m surprised we’re not hearing more about this from Russian and India. You’d think they’d get it bad over there.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
The (understanding) anatomy of the respiratory system reveals that a little ointment in the nostrils, is like lining the bank of a river with a towel, in an effort to dam the water.

The towel will get wet, but nearly all the water in the river is going to laugh at the towels.

Nostril hair, adenoids and the mucous membranes capture most pollen, dust, a lot of viral and bacterial matter, and the immune system deals with things that it can. It's why we only have a light response to most things.

But the nostrils are pretty much useless in preventing virus and bacteria from getting into the deeper part of the respiratory system.

They are only about 1% of the tracts that are actually where a virus is going to come in contact.

Smile

Maybe this is why nostril hair gets out of control when you age.And we all trim it.Let it grow.

Posts: 12842 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m surprised we’re not hearing more about this from Russian and India. You’d think they’d get it bad over there.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I am not. People die on the streets of Bombay daily. Russia is not known for being candid about certain things. Remember Chernoblyl, which was a far greater threat to their citizens and Europe as well.

Posts: 17366 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
A lesson I learned back in 2008 is that I don’t only need to prepare for a threat, but also for the public’s perception of that threat. Back in 2008 I had no concern that Obama was going to pass sweeping gun control. And I was 100% correct. But that didn’t matter one bit when I wanted to buy a box of 9mm. The mass fear of a gun ban turned it to mini reality for several years.

I don’t know if this virus is as bad as it is being made out to be. I’m not worried about it. But I know people are buying extra water and that there is a real chance of a supply issue even if this turns out to be nothing. I keep a lot of water on hand so I’m not panicking but I’ll likely pick up extra next grocery run.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15264 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones: Based upon a little common sense, most of what I have read leads me to believe that the infection count in the United States and abroad is probably much larger than reported. I'd wager to bet that the goes for the number that are deceased as well.

I'd bet you are correct. We (collectively)are trying to develop mortality ratios with a sketchy numerator and an unknowable denominator.

Posts: 8987 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Going out of our way to comment about the concerns of others is a common way of validating our own lack of action. Very often the ones who are most vocal in ridiculing people who take protective measures know in their heart of hearts that they should be doing something themselves, but they don’t want the trouble and inconvenience. An extremely common example are the people who want private gun ownership banned because they don’t like the idea of having to defend themselves.

Is there anything the average American should be doing now? There’s no way of knowing at this time how the epidemic will progress. Will stocking up on toilet paper or bottled water be a wise move? Well, it certainly can’t hurt at any time, and the people who question why it might be a good idea don’t understand the possible consequences of a serious pandemic. Anyone who has been paying the slightest attention should know by now that this disease has already affected the supply chain of various goods and materials. What happens if things get bad enough that our local plant stops treating our water because of lack of personnel to operate it or because it can’t get the necessary chemicals to do the job?

Plus, as I’ve pointed out before, the effects of a disease on society are not limited to how they affect the individual sufferer. Whether we like it or not, how it affects the behavior of those who don’t have it is just as important, if not more so.

Then there’s the morality rate of the disease. A two percent rate, or one in 50 doesn’t sound too dangerous, but consider what that means to us and the people we know.

My small agency has 25 employees. A 2% death rate means there is a 98% chance that any specific infected individual will survive. If only 12 of those people contract the disease, however, the chance that all will survive drops to 78%, i.e., there is a 22% chance—one in five—that one will die. And then what about their families? Assuming an average family size of three, and that 36 develop the disease, the probability that at least one of those people who are relatively close to me will die increases to over 50 percent. Another way to look at a two percent mortality rate is if half of the people in my small county (~3500) develop the disease, 70 would die.
(I agree, however, that the mortality rate of COVID-19 is probably much less than two percent because there are many undiagnosed cases. But regardless of what the true rate is, we owe it to ourselves to understand what such figures mean.)

As for whether people are “panicking,” I’m reminded of that movie line, “You keep saying that word, but I don’t believe it means what you think it means.” We have seen nothing close to a panicked reaction to the disease in this country thus far. If the BS news media is hyping the situation in an effort to keep their viewers enthralled (and tuned in), people who are equating concern and precautions with panic aren’t helping either.

“I am prudent, you are fearful, he is panicking.”

I have never "preped" but in the back of my mind I always think I should.
This epidemic has gotten me off my butt to do something. Not that this virus should be the reason alone but to have supplies on hand no matter what is the cause for shortages (Virus,Tornado,Earthquake,etc.) makes sense.6+ months of food on hand makes me feel better.
My food related prepping started a couple weeks ago. I ordered 10-20 year life span food stuffs from Costco, Walmart,Amazon. All delivered to my door.So easy.
I hope I will never have to get into the supply and if it all gets tossed out 10years from now that's fine, the piece of mind I bought along with the food is priceless.

Posts: 4661 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
First, know that I'm not even remotely Anti-Vax.

But it just occurred to me that I can't even remember the last time I've had a Flu shot. I've no idea, off hand. It's been years. Many years.

Is that dumb? Am I wrong or being foolish? I'm a healthy dude, about 50 now, pretty fit for a non-professional athlete, etc. But I don't get sick much. Thr ocasional cold or brief seasonal allergies maybe.

I'm not "making some stand", really I just never think of it or worry about it.

Should I, anyway? I guess I don't know the correct answer to that (,musing, thinking aloud).

Hmmm.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.....

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5773 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Smile

A reasoned response, Doc. Noted and thanks.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
A lesson I learned back in 2008 is that I don’t only need to prepare for a threat, but also for the public’s perception of that threat. Back in 2008 I had no concern that Obama was going to pass sweeping gun control. And I was 100% correct. But that didn’t matter one bit when I wanted to buy a box of 9mm. The mass fear of a gun ban turned it to mini reality for several years.

The TP buying at both Costco and Target locally reminds me of the Obama era .22LR and 9mm Ammo shortages. Right now, people buying way more TP than they need.

The only thing missing are people marking it way up and reselling it at gun show.

It's all a bit silly.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 11008 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grapes of Wrath
Picture of Wino
posted Hide Post
I’m betting the virus will show up in Austin, TX sometime next month when we have a about 100,000 people fly in from all over the world. Roughly 25% come in from over 100 countries and pack themselves into conferences, parties, and concert venues for SXSW.

Took a look in my freezer yesterday and the wife and I have about a month’s supply of food from last deer season and other random meats, vegetables, and soups that have made their way in there from just regular daily living.

Pantry was pretty depleted as we don’t generally eat many canned items. Fixed that today by stocking up on canned chicken, tuna, veggies, rice, and pasta. Probably another month’s supply (which would be cut in half if my wife’s mother and sister ended up coming over to mooch off of us).

The wife rolled her eyes when I got home from the grocery store but frankly, I could give a damn. The point is we can avoid going out to public places for a couple months if the situation warrants.

Saw just a few other people doing the same thing at the grocery today, so we’re still in the calm before the storm.

Called my parents to see if they’ve taken any measures. They’re already set for a couple months so I guess I know who taught me some preparedness. Wink

Posts: 1459 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ergoproxy
posted Hide Post
People are afraid of running out of tp. If the supply chain breaks, and tp is unavailable, what would you do without tp then? Flick the remnant shit off your cornhole? That would be messy especially with young kids. LOL

Posts: 1158 | Location: USA | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ergoproxy:... what would you do without tp then? ...

Rabbits.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44082 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The bears will be using rabbits. I guess some of these folks are pretty young, not remembering that toilet paper is relatively new. Sears Catalogues and corn cobs were staples in most outhouses not that long ago.

Posts: 17366 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ergoproxy
posted Hide Post
A co-worker turned me to bidets. Once you experience it, no going back to tp only. TP shortage proof too.

Posts: 1158 | Location: USA | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
There's always Indian style.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16498 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
The bears will be using rabbits. I guess some of these folks are pretty young, not remembering that toilet paper is relatively new. Sears Catalogues and corn cobs were staples in most outhouses not that long ago.

It was the staples you had to worry about.

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3626 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post