SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 ... 1212
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I did the Suprep shower-shit rain dance last November, so while I don’t have a bidet, I have found a work-around in dire needs. Then I had pneumonia for almost two months, so my “cough to produce” game is strong. Evidently, this is the main event I’ve been training for.

Posts: 17354 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by MattW:
Flew through ATL today, wasn't as busy as it normally is, but a little less crowded. Didn't see as many N95 masks compared to last week, I expect that's because they're sold out now.

I just flew two days ago and it looked about normal to me.

I shopped two days ago it looked Normal to me, today, not so much.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20927 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Haven't seen it noted, yet: The NHL is suspending their season.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Haven't seen it noted, yet: The NHL is suspending their season.

Cause they are afraid of Ovi's Russian connections. You do know that the Russian Machine Never Breaks right?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20927 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So 13.5% of people tested in the U.S. are positive. 9000 tested in the U.S. vs 220,000 tested in South Korea.

Anthony Fauci admits US 'failing' on coronavirus testing

https://www.washingtonexaminer...-coronavirus-testing

A top infectious disease expert in the Trump administration told Congress on Thursday the U.S. healthcare system is failing to test any person who needs it quickly as the COVID-19 virus spreads across the country.

Anthony Fauci, the head of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and a leader on the White House Coronavirus Task Force, told the House Oversight Committee on Thursday the United States is not as well prepared for mass testing as other countries.

“The system does not — is not really geared to what we need right now — what you are asking for. That is a failing. It is a failing. Let’s admit it,” Fauci told lawmakers.

He was responded to Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz, who grilled another panelist, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director Robert Redfield, about who specifically was in charge of ensuring any person who needed a test could get one.

“The fact is, the way the system was set up is that the public health component that Dr. Redfield was talking about was a system where you put it out there in the public, and a physician asks for it, and you get it,” Fauci testified. “The idea of anybody getting it easily the way people in other countries are doing it — we’re not set up for that. Do I think we should be? Yes. But we’re not.”

The Atlantic’s rolling tracker estimates there have been 9,000 coronavirus tests conducted in the U.S. thus far. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s website says there are 1,215 confirmed coronavirus cases in the U.S. resulting in 36 deaths, although the interactive map run by Johns Hopkins University states that there are 1,323 cases in the U.S. with at least 38 confirmed deaths so far.

South Korea tested more than 220,000 people, and Italy has conducted more than 73,000 tests. The World Health Organization says that South Korea has confirmed 7,983 cases with at least 66 deaths, and Italy has confirmed 12,462 cases and 827 deaths.

Wassermann Schultz tried pushing Redfield for answers on testing for healthcare workers, pointing to a March letter from a nurse who said she was denied coronavirus testing by the CDC.

“The public county officer called me and verified my symptoms and agreed with testing. But the National CDC would not initiate testing,” the nurse said, adding, “Delaying this test puts the whole community at risk.”

Redfield testified in a different hearing on Wednesday that “this is a misunderstanding if it did occur.”

On Thursday, Wassermann Schultz shared a letter from the National Nurses United union, which claimed that "there have been far too many cases where exposed healthcare workers have been refused testing for this to be a 'misunderstanding.'"

“We need to have someone in charge of making sure that as many people as possible across this country have access to getting tested as soon as possible,” Wassermann Schultz said. “Can you give us the name of the person who can guarantee that anyone — but especially healthcare workers — that needs to be tested can be?”

Redfield replied, “I was trying to say that the responsibility that I have at CDC is to make sure that all the public health labs have it, and they can make the judgment on how they want to use it.”

He turned to Fauci for assistance as Wassermann Schultz kept pressing him for a name, and Fauci conceded the U.S. wasn’t up to the task.

Hospitals and labs in the U.S. have been ramping up their testing capacity over the past few days. The Cleveland Clinic announced Wednesday it would soon have new on-site testing abilities with results produced within eight hours instead of the two-to-seven day time frame typically taken by outside labs.

The American Enterprise Institute’s COVID-19 Test Capacity tracker estimates the U.S. has a current testing capacity of 20,695 tests per day, an increase from the 7,840 estimated daily testing capacity earlier this week.

The WHO declared the coronavirus outbreak a “pandemic” on Wednesday.

The coronavirus is believed to have originated in the city of Wuhan, the capital of China’s Hubei province. Both China and Russia have been spreading disinformation about it.

Public events across the U.S. have been canceled in response to the spread of the virus, dozens of schools have been closed, and the U.S. Capitol complex was closed to the general public on Thursday. The stock market plunged this week amid concerns about the coronavirus’s effect on the global economy.

Posts: 12842 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
How fashionable.

Posts: 108160 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Made a trip into WalMart Florence, KY this morning. Back side of the store is Automotive area and garage. Grabbed a cart on the way in, just inside the store is my Mobile1 0W20 for $29.00 plus tax, grabbed 2 quart bottles of the same, $9.00 per quart, as the Sienna holds 6.4 quarts, got OEM Toyota filter kit less than $7.00. I put a ladies new battery in the top of my cart so she didn't have to carry it to her car. Didn't get to see the stock of toilet paper.

Posts: 17946 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Michigan's Governor just ordered all schools K-12 closed until April 15 after 10 presumptive positive cases.

The local news "Medical expert" noted 1 of the 10 had no travel history. He called the State and they wouldn't comment on whether this patient had contact with any of the other presumptive positives. He reasoned that if the patient had, they would have told him and thus he reasoned that he didn't and thus it is community spread.

Nice conclusion....

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38060 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
The system does not — is not really geared to what we need right now — what you are asking for. That is a failing. It is a failing. Let’s admit it,” Fauci told lawmakers.

If that’s an actual quote that’s almost a Michael Brown moment.

Like after Katrina, I think sleep is best.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12502 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by italia:
Not sure if this has been posted.

YouTube Video: Joe Rogan Interview with Michael Osterholm, an internationally recognized expert in infectious disease epidemiology.

Michael Osterholm is an internationally recognized expert in infectious disease epidemiology. He is Regents Professor, McKnight Presidential Endowed Chair in Public Health, the director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy (CIDRAP), Distinguished Teaching Professor in the Division of Environmental Health Sciences, School of Public Health, a professor in the Technological Leadership Institute, College of Science and Engineering, and an adjunct professor in the Medical School, all at the University of Minnesota. Look for his book "Deadliest Enemy: Our War Against Deadly Germs" for more info.

**** Note: The interviewee mentions his book, so perhaps his intentions are suspect

Excellent book, BTW. He knows his stuff. My colleagues have accused me of being pessimistic about humanity's long-term odds of survival regarding our tiny adversaries (in fact I believe they may be the Great Filter, baked into whatever results in life arising on a given world), but he's slightly south of me on the topic.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
The system does not — is not really geared to what we need right now — what you are asking for. That is a failing. It is a failing. Let’s admit it,” Fauci told lawmakers.

If that’s an actual quote that’s almost a Michael Brown moment.

Like after Katrina, I think sleep is best.

Since there's no treatment for a virus at the moment like the Wuhan, why the hell is everyone making such a big damn deal about testing for it?

From a reliable source, I can also report that all schools in Panama are also closed, and that "people are going crazy!"

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30589 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
In order to determine if someone needs to be quarantined.

Just take it a bit easier, please. Persistent bluster in the thread is a distraction.

Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I’m starting to feel like the world’s going on vacation and I still have to go to work.

Posts: 17941 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Snow Day, bitchezz

Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
The memes in the last few pages have had me dying laughing. Big Grin

Year V

Posts: 2649 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=171LhbrZKqw

Greffex Inc. President and CEO John Price discusses the ongoing race for a coronavirus vaccine.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3463 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Snow Day, bitchezz

Technically, spring break...

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post

Michael Osterholm
Michael T. Osterholm is an American public health scientist and a biosecurity and infectious disease expert.
Osterholm is the director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota and a Regents Professor, the McKnight Presidential Endowed Chair in Public Health, a Distinguished Teaching Professor in the Division of Environmental Health Sciences, School of Public Health, a professor in the Technological Leadership Institute, College of Science and Engineering, and an adjunct professor in the University of Minnesota Medical School, all at the University of Minnesota. He is also on the Board of Regents at Luther College in Decorah, Iowa.

Watch the first 15 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...Nrnds4i2w_4Ex1tXTM...

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post