SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 ... 1212
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Maybe this thread can be renamed to The Grand Unified Coronavirus/SARS-CoV-2/Covid-19 Thread or the like?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Interesting theory, did Dean Koontz in his book The Eyes of Darkness predict Coronavirus.
The Book has a passage that predicts Wuhan-400 Virus, it also references its use in 2020...

Don't buy into stupid conspiracy theories.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
did Dean Koontz in his book The Eyes of Darkness predict Coronavirus?

quote:

Au contraire! Every good writer interprets the past and predicts the future.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24293 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
People are now concerned about how kids will eat food since schools are closed. Roll Eyes

On the surface it sounds silly, but it's actually a real concern. There are a surprising number of kids in the US whose parents don't provide adequate food for them, which is the point of the free school lunch programs.

You can argue that it shouldn't be a problem in the US or that it's the parents' fault, but that doesn't change things for the kids, whose fault it certainly isn't.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.breitbart.com/heal...false-negative-rate/

Dr. Nicole Saphier told Breitbart News Daily on Friday morning that the reason the U.S. had rejected coronavirus test kits from abroad is that they had a 48% false negative rate, meaning sick people would believe, falsely, they were fine.

Saphier generally praised the U.S. response to coronavirus, but said that “the one thing” that was “unacceptable” was the lack of testing kits, noting that the private sector had not been harnessed.

She noted that President Donald Trump had acted early by imposing a travel ban on China. “That was the right thing to do,” she said.

“What didn’t happen was the mass testing of people in the United States,” she added. “And a part of this was the United States rejected some of these testing kits from elsewhere, and that is because the United States placed high standards on what we use in our health care system. Things have to go through FDA approval.

the testing kits being used in China — they were reporting up to a 48% false negative rate. So if you got a negative test result, that didn’t actually mean that they didn’t have the virus.”

false negative - the test said you didn't have it, but you did

The U.S., she noted, developed its own test, but was also “found to be faulty” once it was distributed

Dr. Saphier noted that South Korea had been successful at testing because of mass production of testing kits by private biotech companies.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

a huge lesson here is that we need to be self reliant as a country

Posts: 19672 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:
People are now concerned about how kids will eat food since schools are closed. Roll Eyes
On the surface it sounds silly, but it's actually a real concern. There are a surprising number of kids in the US whose parents don't provide adequate food for them, which is the point of the free school lunch programs.
Then what in the fuck are they doing having Goddamned kids?????

Posts: 108160 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
"On the surface it sounds silly, but it's actually a real concern. There are a surprising number of kids in the US whose parents don't provide adequate food for them, which is the point of the free school lunch programs.

You can argue that it shouldn't be a problem in the US or that it's the parents' fault, but that doesn't change things for the kids, whose fault it certainly isn't."

It's a real thing. Some school systems continue to provide bag lunches for students on programs throughout the summer so the kids can have one definite meal a day.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
That's criminal behavior. Bring a child into this world and expect someone else to feed them? Man, if I were king, there would be some real changes to this world, and this shit woud be inthere- can't afford a child? Don't have any.

Posts: 108160 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

It has always amazed me that in many areas one must jump through hoops to adopt an animal but anyone can have kids. Not saying the gov needs to be in the baby business but cripes. No way to legislate human responsibility.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:

I agree. Perhaps we are getting soft as a species. Perhaps we need some "survival of the fittest".
There are a lot of problems that would be self-solving if we didn't insist upon subsidizing poor decisions.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24293 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://hotair.com/archives/ed...d-19-test-approvals/

Trump Administration Fast-Tracks Private COVID-19 Test Approvals

he Trump administration plans to unleash the private sector and state governments in developing new and more rapid testing. Under an emergency authorization, the FDA has told Roche to begin producing a new COVID-19 test that will expand capacity on an exponential scale

The Food and Drug Administration granted “emergency use authorization” to the test, which runs on Roche Holding AG’s cobas 6800/8800 systems. The 8800 system is capable of testing 4,128 patients a day, and the 6800 version can test as many as 1,440. The tool also is available in Europe and countries that accept its CE marking for medical devices. …

This is the third test — and first commercially available one — granted emergency approval by the FDA. The agency in February cleared diagnostic tools brought forth by the CDC and the New York State Department of Public Health.

These moves by the FDA breaks a logjam that has hampered the US response to COVID-19 for at least a month

The Trump administration is awarding $1.3 million in federal money to two companies trying to develop rapid COVID-19 tests that could detect whether a person tests positive for the new coronavirus within an hour.

The Department of Health and Human Services says Friday it is awarding $679,000 to DiaSorin Molecular, of Cypress, California, and $598,000 to QIAGEN LLC of Germantown, Maryland, to accelerate development of the tests.

The agency says DiaSorin could potentially be ready within six weeks for consideration by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, and the QIAGEN test could be ready within 12 weeks for EUA consideration by the FDA.

Posts: 19672 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
italy is perplexing to me. i understand they are in severe deficit of ICU capacity. this is tragic, but let me ask, according to some reporting:
italy stats

are we talking about less than 1,200 people needing hospital care in all of italy? i may be wrong but out of the ~13K active cases, 11.6K or so are in "mild" condition. is mild considered hospital care? can they go home? even if double 1,200 "more" people needed respirators...is their lockdown not letting all of italy's medical facilities be used for their care? is there a high concentration of very sick people in too small of a region and its current hospital capacity? are they not leveraging their national capacity to treat people, due to mitigate the spread?

im lost on the idea that under 2000 "more" people need serious medical care in italy, but the whole country's medical system is collapsing, and going to into terminal triage mode. "letting people die". not an expert, but the dumb guy asking dumb questions i guess...

Posts: 775 | Location: FL | Registered: November 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30589 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:

Looking for a raise.

Posts: 6959 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:

Who said it was a conspiracy theory, that's a pretty far jump to a conclusion....

It's just an information piece about a Novel that coincidentally predicted a virus named WuHan-400, there's several other writers that did the same.

Sylvia Brown was spot on the date in End of Days:

Posts: 23777 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of leavemebe
posted Hide Post
It is important to not panic in situations like this. Folks need to use the best available data to assess their actions and adapt as best they can.

Here is some useful data you can use:

"32 Abstract

33 HCoV-19 (SARS-2) has caused >88,000 reported illnesses with a current case-fatality ratio of ~2%. Here,
34 we investigate the stability of viable HCoV-19 on surfaces and in aerosols in comparison with SARS35 CoV-1. Overall, stability is very similar between HCoV-19 and SARS-CoV-1. We found that viable virus
36 could be detected in aerosols up to 3 hours post aerosolization, up to 4 hours on copper, up to 24 hours on
37 cardboard and up to 2-3 days on plastic and stainless steel. HCoV-19 and SARS-CoV-1 exhibited similar
38 half-lives in aerosols, with median estimates around 2.7 hours. Both viruses show relatively long viability
39 on stainless steel and polypropylene compared to copper or cardboard: the median half-life estimate for
40 HCoV-19 is around 13 hours on steel and around 16 hours on polypropylene. Our results indicate that
41 aerosol and fomite transmission of HCoV-19 is plausible, as the virus can remain viable in aerosols for
42 multiple hours and on surfaces up to days. "

https://www.medrxiv.org/conten...3217v1.full.pdf+html

"It is easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled." Unknown observer of human behavior.

Posts: 673 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

You can argue that it shouldn't be a problem in the US or that it's the parents' fault, but that doesn't change things for the kids, whose fault it certainly isn't.

To repeat what Maladat said above, it is not the fault of the children. And while many of you may not be aware of it, this is an issue, and yet another unintended consequence.

The school my children attend is a free breakfast and lunch school. I cannot recall exactly what is required for that to happen, but a certain percentage of the households within the district must fall below a certain income level. Now of course, many of those people are poor, but can still afford to feed their kids. But there are others where they cannot.

Spring Break started today for Orange County Schools. My local community FaceBook page had a post this morning about a food drive for children who may go hungry during the break.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
Hope the Trumpster dodged this bullet....

Brazil's President Bolsonaro tests positive for coronavirus, further testing being done

Brazil’s President Jair Bolsonaro has tested positive for coronavirus, Fox News can confirm.

Bolsonaro’s son Eduardo told Fox News that they are doing further testing to confirm the diagnosis, adding that they expect the second set of testing results later Friday.

The positive diagnosis comes just days after the right-wing Bolsonaro met with President Trump in Mar-a-Lago.

In the wake of the news out of Brazil, a number of White House officials were called into an urgent meeting in the chief of staff's office, Fox News is told.

Bolsonaro had been tested after one of his deputies, who was also in attendance at the Florida resort, was diagnosed with COVID-19.

Fabio Wajngarten, the communications secretary for the 64-year-old Brazilian leader who had traveled to Miami for the meeting as well, showed flu symptoms and tested positive for the virus early Wednesday.

It also comes after Peter Dutton, Australia's minister for home affairs, tested positive after traveling back from Washington D.C., where he met Attorney General William Barr and Ivanka Trump.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/...positive-coronavirus

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
Both my children are teachers in city school districts and this is absolutely true. They’re both hoping their schools stay open so that their students will continue to get two meals a day.

Posts: 2585 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
I've been popping in from time to time to read bits and pieces of this thread. All i can say is that this ridiculous thread should be preserved and studied by psychologists and their students for years to come.

Over 100 pages that reek of fear while most participants claim not to be the least bit concerned. Yet it's filled with spreadsheets, statistics, pouring over numbers and looking for reassurance from others in the herd who claim to be equally unperturbed. Let me give you a clue, if you're spending time pouring over numbers, you're shitting your britches.

I guess those of you who aren't fazed don't have elderly people in your life that you care about. I'm relatively healthy and strong so I'm not concerned for myself. I'm still going to the gym which is probably among the most dangerous activities right now. I am, however, very concerned about my mother. She's in her 80's and, while thankfully in good health, this could potentially kill her.

Just as dangerous as spreading panic is pretending that nothing is wrong and shaming others into joining you. The fact is that none of us really knows what's going on. What we do know is that some very extraordinary steps are being taken worldwide. China doesn't have a media problem like we do yet they're in the process of destroying their economy over what many here are calling the flu. If they're willing to damage their economy over this, it's out of necessity to preserve their slave labor workforce i.e. citizens. They've collapsed a tunnel to prevent travel. I think that's noteworthy.

While our filthy politicians and media are taking full advantage of this to try and damage the President, that doesn't mean that this is a global conspiracy against him.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post