SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 ... 1211
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
Our state Supreme Court has suspended jury trials in one of our counties. For non-jury trials, they're limiting who may attend. They've told only essential personnel to report to work at the courthouse.

I didn't expect this particular development so soon.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I'm at my daughter's dance class. No one else came. It's just her and the teacher. The Flu Manchu strikes again!

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30557 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Flu Tang Clan ain't nuttin' to F wit, apparently.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Just the beginning of the tidal wave...

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:

Again, the point is not that there is a huge crisis in the United States RIGHT NOW... it is to try to prevent a crisis from occurring a month or two or three from now.

I totally understand your graphic. From a healthcare perspective, I understand this position. However, we are traveling down the road of unintended consequences a the speed of light.

Let's say we are completely successful and come April 1st, the coronavirus is on the wane and Disney re-opens and sporting events start to happen again, and so on and so on.

However, in doing so, we have crashed the US economy. In 2.5 weeks, things will NOT just pick back up where we left off March 1st. Businesses will have closed and filed bankruptcy. People will be out of work, or even if they do have jobs, their income will be severely reduced. Mortgages and car payments will be late and so on.

Which am I more afraid of; the actual virus or its effect on the economy? It's not even close.

Posts: 2322 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
CNN Wonders Why Distrust in Media is High – Same CNN: Saying “The Coronavirus Originated in China” is Racist...

Elania Plott is a CNN analyst who notes in her conversations with supporters of President Trump the disdain and distrust in media is is worse than any time she can remember:

Perhaps this short recap video will help explain.

CNN is now claiming that anyone who uses the term “Wuhan Virus” or “Chinese Corona Virus” is being xenophobic and racist.

The Media Research Center looked into it and captured some rather stark hypocrisy:

https://theconservativetreehouse.com/

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24266 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Got the email at the end of the day today: we're going to online school starting next week. Tomorrow is an inservice for us to prepare, then Monday and Tuesday to prepare before 2 days of online classes. Our spring break actually starts on Friday, so that's convenient to lump that in.

No indication at all of when we'll be back in the classroom. No kids or adults even tested for the thing, although many are sick (but then again, it's still flu and allergy season).

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by holdem:
quote:

Again, the point is not that there is a huge crisis in the United States RIGHT NOW... it is to try to prevent a crisis from occurring a month or two or three from now.

I totally understand your graphic. From a healthcare perspective, I understand this position. However, we are traveling down the road of unintended consequences a the speed of light.

Let's say we are completely successful and come April 1st, the coronavirus is on the wane and Disney re-opens and sporting events start to happen again, and so on and so on.

However, in doing so, we have crashed the US economy. In 2.5 weeks, things will NOT just pick back up where we left off March 1st. Businesses will have closed and filed bankruptcy. People will be out of work, or even if they do have jobs, their income will be severely reduced. Mortgages and car payments will be late and so on.

Which am I more afraid of; the actual virus or its effect on the economy? It's not even close.

What do you think will happen to the economy if enough people get sick enough quickly enough to overload all the hospitals?

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Just the beginning of the tidal wave...

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16820 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I like lots of individual people, and various small to medium sized groups.

But "people", they're crazy and prone to hysteria.

This is a shit show already.

Sigh.

posted Hide Post
Sorry if this was posted earlier but; add Virginia to the states with a declared emergency.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...0rg?ocid=hplocalnews

Posts: 3250 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
CNN is now claiming that anyone who uses the term “Wuhan Virus” or “Chinese Corona Virus” is being xenophobic and racist.

Virus outbreaks and infectious diseases, have always been referred the location of origin in its name.

The Chinese Communist Party, always hyper-sensitive and aggressively passionate about how it's portrayed, pressured the World Health Organization, to change the name 'Wuhan Virus' to a less location specific, hence COVID-19.

Now Western leftists get to do all the heavy lifting and have now started to moralize about naming conventions and start pointing fingers about language virtue. Roll Eyes

Posts: 14780 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by holdem:
quote:

What do you think will happen to the economy if enough people get sick enough quickly enough to overload all the hospitals?

You are 100% correct. It would also crash.

But from what I have read, some people have symptoms so mild they do not even know they have coronavirus. Some people who have passed it along were completely asympomatic, never showing any illness.

If the fatality rate were like Ebola, I would completely understand. I would not leave my house either. But COVID-19 is not even close. I think back to that death rate chart posted earlier in the thread for South Korea.

All of these precautions might be the right thing, I do not know. But I would like a few elected leaders or a few talking heads on TV to admit that while we are taking these precautions, they do not come without a cost.

Posts: 2322 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I'd have expected to see more dead people before this kind of knee-jerk reaction. I fear that the fear will lead to violence and there will be more dead people from panic than there will be from a virus that, for the most part, only effects elderly with underlying health conditions.

There are approximately 90 deaths per day in the US from auto accidents. We still need two to three times the amount of virus deaths to equal one day of automobile deaths. I just don't see the death rate to justify the local panic. Securing our borders is great, but closing schools and shutting down the country is absurd.

60 million Americans were infected with the swine flu in 2009 and 300,000 were hospitalized and there were 12,469 deaths. And it killed children too. While there was concern, America pretty much chugged along as usual.
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandem...9-h1n1-pandemic.html

But hey, maybe parents need to be home to be stuck with their kids for a while and see what kind of garbage is being taught to them at school.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5437 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
We just had our school district shut down for 6 weeks. Going to be fun for everyone to try and find childcare.

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 11015 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post

Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
Local school system (Simsbury, CT) just shut down for two weeks. As has many others, and by next week, most likely the entire state.

Nuts.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Someone has a roll of toilet paper on Ebay selling at $.99 per square.. Big Grin

Posts: 17942 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
As I posted (now, a good number of pages ago), our Health Network's head of infectious diseases says that asymptomatic people do not spread the virus.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16563 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post