SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 ... 1212
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:
The post was to emphasize that we don't have a clue how many people are actually infected. Particularly in China. That number makes a critical difference in calculating CFR.

But isn't that also the case with the flu?
How many people get the flu but never seek medical attention or get tested? Many just suffer at home for a few days. So we don't really know the denominator there either.
We can't really compare one CFR to another CFR if we aren't sure about how many have been infected by either.

Not to nearly the same degree due to long track records. There are actually surveys sent out to regional centers that try to get a reasonable approximation. We aren't even to that stage with this virus.

Posts: 8987 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by MRMATT:
Our dipshit dem governor just closed all our county schools for two weeks. As far as I know, there have been no reported cases. WTF!

Not just the schools, this guy is ordering ALL NON ESSENTIAL facilities to close as of this Friday.

Movie theaters, concert venues, etc. Only food, fuel and medical facilities are to remain open.

I have no idea how this works with my employer, I'm in Montgomery county, PA here at work. Are we forced to close down too until March 30? How does that work?

I told my wife she better try and get her food shopping done today instead of Friday-Saturday as it's going to be pure chaos.

These Democrat governors must be meeting and strategizing on how to fuck Trump over and piss his voting base off, I swear to God!

Do you have an official link for this?

Posts: 2341 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
I took someone to the hospital yesterday with a 101F fever.... He hadn't even tried taking advil or tylenol. Stupid people combined with a fake "doomsday virus" are the worst. The hospital threw him out 15 minutes after he got there.

Posts: 6380 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Learned today that our governor in a moment of pure genius decided to travel to Spain for some goofy soccer event his kid was invited to.

Spain being on the Level 3 Warning list means he'll have to be quarantined at home for 14 days on return. Pure genius.

List of Level 3 countries

Tate Reeves

quote:
Mississippi’s own Governor Tate Reeves and his family are currently in Spain. Reeves told press during a meeting last week, when he announced the new Executive Director of DHS, that they would be out of the country in the coming weeks.

The family is there in support of one of his daughters who was participating in a soccer tournament. It is unclear at this time whether or not they will be impacted by the ban and if travel plans have already been shifted.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12502 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:
I took someone to the hospital yesterday with a 101F fever.... He hadn't even tried taking advil or tylenol. Stupid people combined with a fake "doomsday virus" are the worst. The hospital threw him out 15 minutes after he got there.

Thats how its been in LA County for the last month or so. Endless 911 calls for flu-like symptoms and idiot parents that dont know how to take care of a sick kid.
I had a parent call 911 for BOTH her kids that were already discharged 6 hours prior, her concern was their fevers had come back. Well no shit lady, tylenol isnt a cure.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3463 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris17404:
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by MRMATT:
Our dipshit dem governor just closed all our county schools for two weeks. As far as I know, there have been no reported cases. WTF!

Not just the schools, this guy is ordering ALL NON ESSENTIAL facilities to close as of this Friday.

Movie theaters, concert venues, etc. Only food, fuel and medical facilities are to remain open.

I have no idea how this works with my employer, I'm in Montgomery county, PA here at work. Are we forced to close down too until March 30? How does that work?

I told my wife she better try and get her food shopping done today instead of Friday-Saturday as it's going to be pure chaos.

These Democrat governors must be meeting and strategizing on how to fuck Trump over and piss his voting base off, I swear to God!

Do you have an official link for this?

From KYW

Governor orders non-essential facilities in Montgomery County to close amid coronavirus

From official PA.gov website:

Gov. Wolf, Sec. of Health Outline COVID-19 Mitigation Guidance for Montgomery County, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania

Posts: 34108 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
NCAA Tournament officially cancelled

ESPN - NCAA Tournament Cancelled

It's totally out of control

Posts: 23777 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Went to Wally and stocked up some corn dogs. All the sheep were buying water and TP. Meanwhile, plenty of corndogs.

Forgot the mustard! DAMN!!!! Mad

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6999 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:
The post was to emphasize that we don't have a clue how many people are actually infected. Particularly in China. That number makes a critical difference in calculating CFR.

Ok. Thanks. That's the point I suspected you were making, but I wanted to make no assumptions.

That's why I qualify my statements regarding R0 and CFR with "believed," "suggests," and other such qualifiers.

I believe all the current analyses I've read contain similar qualifying language.

No worries, and "concerned" is a good thing to be, with this or any other global pandemic. But the WHO, in my opinion, is only adding to the mayhem by their stance of "Well, these are the numbers we have." True, but demonstrably wrong on the face of it. The CFR for the 1918 pandemic was similar to the current "official" CFR for SARS-CoV-2 (actually, somewhat less), but within the first 3 months of the 1918 pandemic - the first of three "waves" - tens of thousands had died globally, and ultimately (estimated) about 50 million worldwide within a year.

We're approaching nowhere near that vector with this virus, even 4 to 6 months in. Different viruses - both RNA, but the coronavirus has almost 30,000 nucleotide bases, compared to 14,000 for IAV - a much simpler virus. Simpler is not better (for humans) with regard to lethality, and the relative complexity of this virus (compared to influenza) may be its downfall. Hopefully, and ironically, the more infections we have the better we can gauge the ultimate course of the virus, and know whether we should really panic. At this point, I'm guessing not.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
Does a clothes dryer gets hot enough to kill C-19 on fabrics like hats and jackets?

Hoping...

Boiling water (212*) “kills” viruses. I don’t think a home clothes dryer gets hot enough to do the cabrona virus any harm.

If you needed to kill on contact, yes boiling water would be a good choice. Otherwise about 30 minutes in the dryer at the highest heat setting should kill any microbe.

You could even do a fair amount of damage with a hair blow dryer, if you hold it long enough.

Corona virus likely killed at low temp like SARS (56 Celsius). But I don’t think it’s correct to say a dryer would kill any microbe. Dry heat is not as effective as moist heat. Microbial Sterilization at 121 degrees Celsius is only under moist heat and pressure. Bacterial spores can survive dry heat for a long time. This isn’t really about the corona virus but it can be useful to know.

When you dry a load of laundry doesn't it start and stay moist until the heat eventually dries the clothes. If you have ever interrupted a cycle you know it's very hot and steamy in a dryer through much of the cycle.

Not anywhere near hot enough to kill microbes. Steam sterilization is done at 121 degrees Celsius. You need about 15 psi of steam pressure just to reach that temperature. Of course that’s for really strong bugs. Most will die at lower temps like boiling water. But a laundry machine likely isn’t doing much in the way of temperature killing. Detergents and drying clothes is still not a good thing for microbes and most likely won’t survive (at least what we need to be concerned about).

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12512 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Maryland just closed all public schools for two weeks starting Monday. Maybe longer. Let the craziness continue.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16426 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Gov. of Ohio added and extra two week to spring break for all schools in Ohio. Have any of these folks actually thought this through? Is the whole country really going to shelter in place for the next month?

Posts: 11194 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Gov. of Ohio added and extra two week to spring break for all schools in Ohio. Have any of these folks actually thought this through? Is the whole country really going to shelter in place for the next month?

I have a co-worker who just called me and is like "I guess I'm staying home for 2 weeks" because he has two young kids in school but the PA Governor just closed them in his county. They can't be left at home on their own and his wife works FT too like most wives nowadays.

No, this was not thought through at all. It's just knee-jerk reaction at this point and may do more harm than good.

Posts: 34108 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
NCAA Tournament officially cancelled

ESPN - NCAA Tournament Cancelled

It's totally out of control

"'March Madness' canceled."

Au contraire, it's just beginning.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30589 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted March 12, 2020 03:23 PM Hide Post
Learned today that our governor in a moment of pure genius decided to travel to Spain for some goofy soccer event his kid was invited to.

Spain being on the Level 3 Warning list means he'll have to be quarantined at home for 14 days on return. Pure genius.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Thanks for the information. I never thought Tate was on the bright side. Hosemann, the Lt. Governor is a pretty smart guy and if I recall his son is a physician. I would rather Hosemann handle the situation. Tate just does not inspire confidence.

Posts: 17366 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
"'March Madness' canceled."

Au contraire, it's just beginning.

[quote]'March Madness' canceled."

^^^
The Ides of March is just three days away.

Posts: 17366 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
Disneyland in California is closing all parks and resorts through the April 1st.

Wow, just wow.

https://news.yahoo.com/disneyl...virus-204155820.html

Posts: 2324 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by holdem:
Disneyland in California is closing all parks and resorts through the April 1st.

Wow, just wow.

That may actually be more helpful than some of the other measures. Lot's of international travelers, kids who can't keep their hands off things and don't cover their cough, etc. All that being taken back to "home" sure wouldn't help. Couple that with the fact that they were likely getting a lot of cancellations anyway, and it probably makes business sense, too.

Posts: 8987 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I have two words for all of this:

In. Sane.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30589 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Partly a result of the power of social media, and the shaming environment prevalent today.

As a CEO if you don't join the herd if it gets worse or someone gets sick and dies at your venue then the attorneys will be standing at your door looking for a major payday.

The choice is comply or risk losing everything, it doesn't matter what the real threat is, only that it possibly exists, and is potentially dangerous and to ignore it is career ending to avoid joining in....

Regardless of the truth....

Posts: 23777 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post