SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 ... 1206
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

I believe masks help and research shows that they do help. A very non scientific way, is watch how far smoke travels when someone exhales a drag of cigarette smoke (4-6' +/-)....someone breathing normally would exhale around the same distance..ask them to exhale a drag with a mask on.......

The research shows exactly the opposite, most of which was performed pre-2020.

But don't worry, that bandana will surely keep you protected.

Wildfire Smoke

Do not rely on dust masks for protection. Paper “comfort” or “dust” masks commonly found at hardware stores trap large particles, such as sawdust. These masks will not protect your lungs from smoke. An “N95” mask, properly worn, will offer some protection. If you decide to keep a mask on hand, see the Respirator Fact Sheet provided by CDC’s National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health.

https://www.cdc.gov/disasters/wildfires/smoke.html

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Masks are by and large a joke. The only easily worn, commercially available option that offers even reasonable protection is an N95 mask. I do not consider any mask with removable filter cartridges to be “easily worn”. An N95 mask is only reusable when you have not removed it. They are meant to be for one time use. An N95 that is worn during any possible viral exposure is supposed to be discarded and replaced.

To work PROPERLY, an N95 mask has to pass a fit test. A properly fit N95 is uncomfortable to breathe through for any activity other than at rest. That (along with the fact that actual N95 masks are near impossible to find) is why people either don’t use them, or don’t wear them properly- when you “gap” the mask to make it easier to breathe, it does minimal good. Our agency went to the county testing facility and I found that a standard, out of the box N95 is a fit test FAIL for my face for whatever reason. I need one with an internal gasket that creates a seal.

The vast majority of masks you see everywhere you go, without exception, are cloth, dust, or nuisance masks which are not effective in stopping the spread of this, or any virus. A cloth or dust mask that gets used over and over is as good as a piece of tissue paper. A bandana or neck wrap face covering does nothing to protect you in a potential exposure environment. The crap that says “made in China” of any class of mask is not to be trusted in any case IMO.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15580 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
The mask is so the nervous folks will think 'something' is being done. It's ludicrous, but I don't even resent it anymore. People are criminally stupid and we are well on our way to completely removing the polish of evolution.

Posts: 1971 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Are we still arguing about the stupid masks?

Again...for those who haven't figured this out yet...the mask is to stop YOU from sneezing or coughing on someone else. It was never supposed to be a gas mask that is filtering the air and stopping anything from getting in from the air to you.

Yes, I'm sick of them and this whole notion that "everyone is infected" is creepy and Orwellian and I fear that we will never see them go away now. Frown

Posts: 33813 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Mask are a control device...they aren't keeping you from infecting shit. Our infection rates show you exactly how effective the napkin over your hole really is.

Posts: 1971 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Again...for those who haven't figured this out yet...the mask is to stop YOU from sneezing or coughing on someone else. It was never supposed to be a gas mask that is filtering the air and stopping anything from getting in from the air to you.

The minute someone with Covid breathes into a non-N95 mask and those droplets dry up, they are shedding virus. Cloth, dust, and nuisance masks are nearly worthless, especially when they are re-used day after day. Masks are a bullshit mind control device for the most part.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15580 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
Masks are a bullshit mind control device for the most part.
I truly think this is about government having to look (as usual) like they're the smartest people anywhere. They have to have an answer to the problem. Kinda like their answers to global warming, they're arrogance and ego drives them to offer up BS the media is more than willing to parrot for the mindless masses to feed on. Government (and H'er Fauci) knows they got little to nothing on this bug, but they'll never admit it.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

I believe masks help and research shows that they do help. A very non scientific way, is watch how far smoke travels when someone exhales a drag of cigarette smoke (4-6' +/-)....someone breathing normally would exhale around the same distance..ask them to exhale a drag with a mask on.......

The research shows exactly the opposite, most of which was performed pre-2020.

But don't worry, that bandana will surely keep you protected.

Wildfire Smoke

Do not rely on dust masks for protection. Paper “comfort” or “dust” masks commonly found at hardware stores trap large particles, such as sawdust. These masks will not protect your lungs from smoke. An “N95” mask, properly worn, will offer some protection. If you decide to keep a mask on hand, see the Respirator Fact Sheet provided by CDC’s National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health.

https://www.cdc.gov/disasters/wildfires/smoke.html

Those same facts along with studies by Vanderbilt and Texas A&M got me kicked off Nextdoor. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:

Those same facts along with studies by Vanderbilt and Texas A&M got me kicked off Nextdoor. Wink

Haha, no kidding? Me too. Though I was only suspended from Nextdoor. I have not been back since.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
I've been nursing something since Sunday, but I believe it to be just an ordinary cold, the same kind that often happens this time of year, and a mild one at that. I haven't had one since 2017, so statistically I'm due. Nevertheless, I'm self-isolating.

You can make an appointment at CVS or Walgreens and get tested at the drive thru, it is free.

Neighbors across the street thought they had colds and were going to get some work done on their house. The salesman saw they were sniffling and told them they would have to get tested before he would let workers in their house. They both tested positive.

A few weeks later they both had antibody tests to make sure they had really had it. The antibody tests confirmed it.

Posts: 12684 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]
Can you point me to research showing masks help? I guess maybe the KN95 help the person wearing them. But I've not seen any research showing the regular masks everyone is wearing do anything at all. Some research showed lower amounts of water droplets. But water droplets do not equal virus particles.[/QUOTE]

If one has an open mind, the research and data is there to support the conclusion that masks are an effective tool in controlling the spread of the disease.

Of course, some people want to believe masks are not effective, and will point to some study that reaches the opposite conclusion. But on whole, the great weight of authority concludes they are of SOME benefit.

There are several direct studies and come observational studies, most of which are compiled in these links.

https://www.pnas.org/content/118/4/e2014564118

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02801-8

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020...w-face-masks-prevent

https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/full/10.7326/M20-6817

Posts: 514 | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TAllen01:
Buncha BS Links to studies that support an agenda

Noticed none of those studies happened 2019 or earlier. How easy it is to manipulate people into believing something that is contrary to all of the previous studies (that have mostly been scrubbed BTW) in support of the NEW TRUTH!

Can you or the other maskperts explain to the rest of the class why the only people I know that have contracted the Wu Flu are dedicated mask wearers? I am in regular contact with about 100 different family members and their crotch goblins, bringing the potential "carrier monkey" count to about 200. Of that, there have only been 3 cases (all mild BTW). What do those 3 people have in common? 100% mask wearing while in public (at work, shopping, or getting gas). Sooooo, yeah 100% of the mask wearers in the family have contracted the Wu Flu.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
But on whole, the great weight of authority concludes they are of SOME benefit.

Of course they are. There is "some benefit" to all sorts of things. As far as Wuhan goes, breathing half as much would be SOME benefit. Walking backwards would be SOME benefit. Using sign language instead of talking would be SOME benefit. So why masks and not all of these other things that may even be more beneficial?

And along those lines, why does the CDC (currently, because they've said the opposite in the past) say that masks work, while at the same time not factoring mask wearing into their guidance on quarantining exposed persons? 6 feet, 15 cumulative minutes. Mask or no mask, doesn't matter. Weird huh?

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15719 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TAllen01:
If one has an open mind, the research and data is there to support the conclusion that masks are an effective tool in controlling the spread of the disease.

If the point of wearing a mask is to prevent one from unknowingly spreading Covid (even if they are asymptomatic and not contagious), then please detail the reason they are telling people that get the vaccine that they must continue wearing the mask, even after the vaccine is fully in their system. Please cite the scientific basis they are relying on for the mandate.

I'll wait...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
And along those lines, why does the CDC (currently, because they've said the opposite in the past) say that masks work, while at the same time not factoring mask wearing into their guidance on quarantining exposed persons? 6 feet, 15 cumulative minutes. Mask or no mask, doesn't matter. Weird huh?

They do. In dental offices, we have an extensive flowchart (from CDC) as to what constitutes a high risk exposure requiring quarantine. Wearing masks and other PPE makes it a non-exposure.

Posts: 8957 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
If the point of wearing a mask is to prevent one from unknowingly spreading Covid (even if they are asymptomatic and not contagious), then please detail the reason they are telling people that get the vaccine that they must continue wearing the mask, even after the vaccine is fully in their system. Please cite the scientific basis they are relying on for the mandate.

I'll wait...

You won't have to wait long. The first phase of the trial was not designed to test if the systemic immunity prevented asymptomatic viral replication in the upper respiratory tract. That information is expected to be available next month. It is very likely that the recommendation will change at that point.

Posts: 8957 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
You won't have to wait long. The first phase of the trial was not designed to test if the systemic immunity prevented asymptomatic viral replication in the upper respiratory tract. That information is expected to be available next month. It is very likely that the recommendation will change at that point.

Pick a date and let's tag and revisit.

They said on Dec 9 that they would have the data in 'several weeks'. I guess it depends on your definition of 'several'.

The word being put out, without scientific evidence to support it, is to expect to continue wearing masks 'indefinitely'.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^

What the politicians do with the information is a separate issue. You asked for the scientific basis and I provided it.

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
^^^^^^

What the politicians do with the information is a separate issue. You asked for the scientific basis and I provided it.
Real question. Isn't it about time we give a collective middle finger salute to this cast of clowns in government, burn these ridiculous and worthless masks, and get back to living life? Christ on a cracker, I cannot for the life of me believe people are gullible enough to keep putting up with this BS while it completely destroys their lives (i.e. not the virus but the retarded response to it).

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Come on bigdeal, how could people possibly do anything that the government hasn’t told them to do Roll Eyes

Problem is that a lot of people are perfectly happy allowing the man to tell them what to do and when to do it.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post