SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Netanyahu: We are at war. Israel attacked by Hamas.
Page 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... 174
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Netanyahu: We are at war. Israel attacked by Hamas. Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/15...gaza-intl/index.html

The ‘Gaza metro’: The mysterious subterranean tunnel network used by Hamas

The myriad tunnels under Gaza are best known as passageways used to smuggle goods from Egypt and launch attacks into Israel.

But there exists a second underground network that the Israel Defense Forces colloquially refer to as the “Gaza metro.” It’s a vast labyrinth of tunnels, by some accounts several kilometers underground, used to transport people and goods; to store rockets and ammunition caches; and house Hamas command and control centers, all away from the prying eyes of the IDF’s aircraft and surveillance drones.

Hamas in 2021 claimed to have built 500 kilometers (311 miles) worth of tunnels under Gaza, though it is unclear if that figure was accurate or posturing. If true, Hamas’ underground tunnels would be a little less than half the length of the New York City subway system.

“It’s a very intricate, very large – huge – network of tunnels on a rather small piece of territory,” said Daphne Richemond-Barak, a professor at Israel’s Reichman University and expert on underground warfare.

It’s unclear how much the tunnel network would have cost Hamas, which governs the impoverished coastal strip. The figure is likely significant, both in terms of manpower and capital.

Gaza has been under a land, sea and air blockade by Israel, as well as a land blockade by Egypt, since 2007 and is not believed to possess the type of massive machinery typically used to build tunnels deep underground. Experts say that diggers using basic tools likely burrowed deep underground to dig the network, which is wired with electricity and reinforced by concrete. Israel has long accused Hamas of diverting concrete meant for civilian and humanitarian purposes toward the construction of tunnels.

Hamas’ critics also say that the group’s massive expenditures on tunnels could have instead paid for civilian bomb shelters or early warning networks like those across the border in Israel.

What makes Hamas tunnels different from those of al Qaeda in the mountains of Afghanistan or the Viet Cong in the jungles of Southeast Asia is that it has constructed a subterranean network below one of the most densely populated areas on the planet. Nearly 2 million people live in the 88 square miles that make up Gaza City.

Since the October 7 terror attack in Israel in which at least 1,400 people, mostly civilians, were killed, the IDF has repeatedly alleged that Hamas is hiding inside these passages “underneath houses and inside buildings populated with innocent Gazan civilians,” effectively turning them into human shields. Israeli military airstrikes have since killed at least 2,670 Palestinians, the Ministry of Health in Gaza said in a statement on Sunday.

The IDF is expected to go after the network in its forthcoming ground incursion into Gaza, as it has in recent years gone to extreme lengths to eliminate Hamas’ tunnels. Israel launched a ground assault on Gaza in 2014 to try and eliminate the underground passages.

The IDF can either render the tunnels temporarily unusable or destroy them. According to Richemond-Barak, bombing the underground passages is typically the most efficient way to eliminate them, but such strikes can impact civilians.

Posts: 19759 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
The Sick Alliance between the Left and Muslim Extremists
By Charles Lipson

There is a strange bedfellows alliance because the Left and Muslim extremists are both evil and there is one source of evil. While opinions vary on why the source for evil destroys righteous behavior and causes, there is little doubt that is what evil people do.
A great explanation.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8926 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:
Can anyone here translate what that POS said after he was shot?

Yes I can translate. He said, "well fucking snakbar, I've been gutshot.. what a motherfudge..."

Posts: 8926 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
The heart of that ideology is its illiberalism.

That sums them both up in a single sentence.
I have long preached that there is nothing liberal about the modern Left. And although I don’t claim any credit, I believe I’m not the only one these days who understands that and use of the term “Liberals” seems to becoming less common in general.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47701 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
quote:

Yes I can translate. He said, "well fucking snakbar, I've been gutshot.. what a motherfudge..."

Are you sure?

I think the terrorist POS said “Tell my goat Jamila that I love her!”

Posts: 3584 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Goooooaaaaat... it fetch soup!!

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38221 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
You can hear bullets snap over their heads.
That's it's shockwave and they were close.
Someone was taking pop shots at them until they had them sighted in.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39873 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I noticed something else about this. Not sure why the Zohan joke triggered it but...

I keep hearing the Palestinians and those who support them chanting about the Israeli genocide. I don't recall hearing about Israeli death squads running through Palestinian areas killing people simply for being Palestinian. Seems like the Israeli's only strike, and granted strike hard, when they are attacked.

I'm sort of hearing this with the same ears as the Trans crowd when they keep screaming about how not supporting their agenda is genocide.

Seems like there are only a few groups of people in the world that truly understand what that word means, these groups are not part of that group.

343 - Never Forget

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38221 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
The AI translators refuse to tell us what he's saying as he become s good terrorist.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39873 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
I'm not going to dignify what he's saying by repeating it, but he is praying...

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6897 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cookster:
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
quote:

Are you sure?

I think the terrorist POS said “Tell my goat Jamila that I love her!”

Ha !! You win.

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Hwy Ripley, it seems somebody bagged one of your bad guys.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34411 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found it interesting that that the soon to be ventilated terrorist was just strolling casually through those buildings. No expectation of resistance, apparently. Bad tactics.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16389 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I found it interesting that that the soon to be ventilated terrorist was just strolling casually through those buildings. No expectation of resistance, apparently. Bad tactics.

Well, he did seem to take a stance directly behind his buddy for most of it.

Did the point guy make it? Always shoot the guy behind. The point man will have no fear to lead them in.
(Speculation from a civilian)

Posts: 7486 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 109097 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
If you're traveling around Gaza these days, I suggest you wear your brown pants.

343 - Never Forget

PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
I would suppose that, if they didn’t have them already, that we have provided them bunker buster deep penetrating munitions to breech through and beneath those buildings and tunnels.

0:01

Posts: 4283 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I was talking with a guy at a trade show who had served in the IDF and he said they quietly flood the tunnels they find. I would think this would be a great opportunity to flood the whole underground of Gaza with helos above waiting to pounce on what surfaces.

Posts: 3686 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Sounded like it hurt. Hope it was a gut shot.

FWIW, IMO, it wasn’t a head (CNS) shot as he is still talking. I would guess upper torso heart/lung. He runs out of oil pressure and rolls tits up pretty quick.

Looks like it came from the grassy knoll over to the right as he went back and to the left. Back and to the left.

0:01

Posts: 4283 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
I was talking with a guy at a trade show who had served in the IDF and he said they quietly flood the tunnels they find.
<snip>

Where do they get the water for flooding the tunnel? They’d need a LOT.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9452 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post