SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    You eat THAT? Post oddities you eat, but others snub.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You eat THAT? Post oddities you eat, but others snub. Login/Join 
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
I chop up hard salami and fry it up, then mix in eggs. Its the Jewish version of chorizo and eggs. Its delish on an egg bagel too. Oh, on a side note, I too love gefilte fish, and yeppers, horseradish is a must.

Just thinking about eating gefilte fish makes me wanna go brush my teeth.

Posts: 1987 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:
Originally posted by slyguy:

Corned beef hash right out of the can and in the pan until crispy brown. Then into a bowl and covered in ketchup. Something about the combo.

Cheers~

Yep, that's how I do it.

Jim

Throw a sunny-side-up fried egg or two on top of that!

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Bacon and jam sandwiches (toasted bread).

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Smelt, baskets of them!

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:

I know a guy who eats PB&J hamburgers. Ya'll would get along well. Big Grin

Posts: 32512 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Pork blood.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:
Smelt, baskets of them!

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15234 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
As a Purdue student, there was this restaurant on the hill that had been there since 1929 called Triple XXX Family Restaurant. One of their burgers I ate as a student, and Guy Fieri showed on DDD was the Duane Purvis All-American Burger. Basically, it's a 1/4 lb cheeseburger with the normal fixins plus Jif peanut butter.

Every once in a while, I make peanut butter cheeseburgers at home.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23263 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Squid jerky from the Asian stores.

Posts: 465 | Location: Space City | Registered: October 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
PB & raisin or PB & banana sammiches.

When I was younger and trying to put on lean mass I would eat a can of tuna followed by a baked potato about twice a day.

Can't stand all the other fish-in-a-can items though, you other guys can have 'em.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Escargot has been mentioned. Love escargot - or more accurately, the sauce they come in.

It brings back a memory from about 25 years ago. Usually, you get those special trays with the depressions and get six snails.
On a business trip to PA, we went to a restaurant in King of Prussia and saw it on the menu.
Ordered it, and to our amazement were brought large soup bowls heaped with escargot and mushrooms.
What a great meal.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16517 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fried clams. Big belly whole clams, not the clam strips. I was born near Boston and ate them as a kid with lots of tartar sauce

They're real scarce outside the northeast, I ate a lot when we were in Maine last year. Also had some good ones in Key West last month:

https://djsclamshack.com/keywest/

Posts: 15908 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
Beets. Not really a oddity but I have run into very few people who like them. I love them pickled, out of the can or raw and then steamed.
Plus I understand they are very good for you. I try to eat at least one serving several times a week. Mostly pickled from the jar.

I ate them as a kid, but grew out of it so to speak,

my uncle grows them, and my wife and mother eat them often,

eta,

Anchovies,, great on a ceasar salad

Blood Sausage, yep, but not often

Brussel Sprouts, weekly,

had Rutabagas and ior turnips diced up in greens many a time,

Penrose sausages, usually seen in a big jar on a bar counter, are tasty too,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10423 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Alas, I'll eat most anything, and like almost all of it.

I don't know about any true oddities, but I like most of the things many people snub - oysters, brussels sprouts, canned fish, etc.

I do like mayo on a good pomme frite, like they serve them in the Netherlands or Belgium.

Scrapple is a bit of an oddity (my folks are from Pennsylvania, where they make it) and it is delicious. It is a loaf made of cornmeal and various unmentionable parts of a pig. You slice it and fry it for breakfast.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
Peanut butter (Jif), mayonnaise and lettuce sammiches!

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2840 | Location: Marana, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:

I know a guy who eats PB&J hamburgers. Ya'll would get along well. Big Grin

Ugghh! PB would wreck it Big Grin

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
First off, there is nothing odd about root vegetables in any form. Smile. Beets, turnips, parsnips, rutabagas, taters, carrots, all good. Boiled, roasted, in all their many forms and glory.

Roasted with some Brussels sprouts in olive oil and salt & pepper - A1.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Octopus. Developed a taste for it while working in Mexico for an extended period.

Posts: 417 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: June 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
Wasabi peas and boiled peanuts.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by btanchors:
Fried Okra

Brussel Sprouts

I'm with you on the sprouts. Cut 'em in half, toss 'em in a skillet with some butter, salt, and pepper. Get 'em nice and hot, then pour a little maple surp* over 'em. Yum.

Okra? As my friend with an accent says, "Neeyasty." Razz

- - - - - - -

* Surp. The way it's pronounced 'round here. Wink

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post