SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    You eat THAT? Post oddities you eat, but others snub.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You eat THAT? Post oddities you eat, but others snub. Login/Join 
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greco:
Kokoretsi. A dish I had in Greece. Liver, kidney, and other organs and meat wrapped in intestines and cooked on a spit like a large kabob. Spiced with garlic, bay leaves, oregano, and more. Deeeeicious. Everyone threw their portion on my plate when the host wasn’t looking. So the host thought they loved it, and kept putting more on their plates.

Greek culture is very focused on hospitality. They make allowances for foreigners, but basically, if a guest eats everything they're served, there's an implied insult to the host's hospitality (because they didn't provide enough food). So if they host doesn't give a guest enough food, that's rude, and if a guest eats everything they're served, that's also rude.

So if you go eat at a Greek family's house and operate on the American "I have to be polite and eat everything I'm served" rule, they'll keep piling food on your plate until you explode.

Also, I agree, Kokoretsi is really delicious.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Vegemite.

On toast or plain bread with or without bitey cheese. Yummo

Or with a big breakie we’ll put an egg tomato and bacon rind.

Posts: 1754 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted Hide Post
Dim Sum chicken feet...yeah I know.

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6010 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Still waiting here for the first balut egg lover.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by satch:
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Fried chicken gizzards.

When the batter is right, I cannot pass them up.

The bowling ally at NAS North Island had some of the best followed closely by a corner gas stop in Watonga, OK

Gizzards are a great appetizer or snack.

Chewy and delicious.
. Wouldn’t you know we are having them tonight.

I r jealous.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
Still waiting here for the first balut egg lover.

Not to be judgmental but blech.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
Ah yes the potato chip and mustard sandwich.

The classy brother to the plain mustard sandwich eaten 2 days later when the chips are gone.

Known around here as a "struggle sandwich"

'round here we call that a wish sandwich.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
Wildly popular in these parts is crawfish. I’m sure some people still consider them “mud bugs” or bait.

As a kid I used to eat mustard and mayonnaise sandwiches. Just white bread, mustard and mayo.

Louis it might be a La. thing you know I like Crawfish and when I was a kid I liked sweet pickle and mustard sandwiches

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^I've been to a couple of crawfish boils and think they're fine; I just think of them as miniature freshwater lobsters! 'Course, the boils were put on by a friend of mine originally from NOLA, and I'm from Missouri and have been familiar with crawfish all my life; didn't seem strange to eat them. Then, too, our Ozark streams are gravel-bottomed and clear, so I never thought of crawdads as "mud bugs". They are, I'll admit, excellent bait.

Posts: 2693 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
At my brother's bachelor party in Ohio we got a cabin in the woods and just hung out for a weekend. We killed a pig, butchered it, and cooked it in a covered pit. We also hit the creek out back and cought about 150 crawfish and boiled them up. Actually not bad eating.

Posts: 8571 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bonfire
posted Hide Post
My mom used to take the left over ground taco meat with diced potatoes and make what we called scrambled eggs and taco mix. She would scrable some eggs up and mix the meat and then put the mixture in pan in a patty. Then you would toast up bread, add butter and put the patty on the bread. Very filling and yummy.

In war, truth is the first casualty. Aeschylus Greek tragic dramatist (525 BC - 456 BC)

Posts: 464 | Location: North of Seattle | Registered: March 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:
quote:

The classy brother to the plain mustard sandwich eaten 2 days later when the chips are gone.

Add some bologna and I'm sold.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17278 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Raw ground pork on a roll,garnished with salt, fresh ground pepper and onions is a thing here in Germany.

BTW, I don’t find crawfish an odditie.

Posts: 739 | Location: Germany | Registered: August 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Kokoretsi. A dish I had in Greece. Liver, kidney, and other organs and meat wrapped in intestines …

That sounds offal.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:
quote:

Add some bologna and I'm sold.

That bologna sandwich has a different level of sophistication after a day at the river for sure.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6318 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
Livermush. For those of you outside a small circle in western North Carolina, here is an explanation.
https://www.tripsavvy.com/nort...na-livermush-4135713

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KLGUY:
Raw ground pork on a roll,garnished with salt, fresh ground pepper and onions is a thing here in Germany.

BTW, I don’t find crawfish an odditie.

Sounds like you’d get worms from that.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17278 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:

That sounds offal.

What you did there was seen Wink

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post