SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    You eat THAT? Post oddities you eat, but others snub.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You eat THAT? Post oddities you eat, but others snub. Login/Join 
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Learning all kinds of interesting things in here.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17305 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Kkina, natto isn’t that bad. Smile. Vomit, really? But seriously, there is a range like cheese from mild like swiss to pungent like bleu (and actually even bleu has a diverse range). Natto is better than Chinese stinky tofu at least (which I should add to the list since I will eat that too). Fresh natto is actually pretty tasty. Here, I’m partial to the brand from Hokkaido that’s available at Nijiya.

Ban ro ban jing is pretty common in Taipei for beef noodle soup. The more contentious debate is whether tomatoes are proper. Smile. I don’t think I could finish a whole dish of it but half and half is good. I like the gelatinous texture. It’s collagen, right?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12761 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Yes, collagen. I eat it for my tendonitis.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16390 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
I'll try pretty much anything once. The following, I've had several or many times and would eat again (unlike whale which is the most disgusting thing ever).

Braunschweiger sandwiches with German mustard. Surprisingly, my love for this came from the English side of my family not the German side.

Calf Fries. Back in the late 90s, it was my 3rd week living in Texas and I was invited to a vendor's Christmas party. I ate what I thought were fried mushrooms, but they were more like a cross between a mushroom and meatball. My coworkers finally told me what I was eating (fried testicles), but I ate a few more anyway. Don't see them often, but I've eaten them since.

I'll eat oysters fried, grilled, and/or raw.

Growing up only my Mom and I would eat beets. Now, I grow my own in my garden and they're way better than the canned beets.

Pineapple on my pizza.

Grilled or oven roasted brussel sprouts. Never had them growing up since both parents hated them.

Calf fries are Rocky Mountain oysters.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10912 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
Yogurt on pancakes.
Kimchee
Hot dogs sliced and mixed into baked beans.
Pickled herring
Uncooked ramen. Sprinkle the flavor packet on it and eat it like a big potato chip.

Amen on the uncooked ramen. I may eat kimchi some day, after all I eat kimchi flavored ramen.

Posts: 3162 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Blood pudding or sometimes called black and white pudding made from pigs blood at butchering time on the farm.Yum.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Kkina, natto isn’t that bad. Smile. Vomit, really? But seriously, there is a range like cheese from mild like swiss to pungent like bleu (and actually even bleu has a diverse range).
<snip>

Natto is, by far, the best food source of vitamin K2. Me? I get my vitamin K2 in capsules from RiteAid. Smile

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9003 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by satch:
Blood pudding or sometimes called black and white pudding made from pigs blood at butchering time on the farm.Yum.

There are some really tasty sausages with blood in them, too.

I'm pretty partial to Spanish morcilla. It's a blood sausage that's pretty much just pork blood, pork fat, salt, and enough rice or chopped onions or both to give it some texture and help it hold together. It's REALLY delicious.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
Pickled pigs feet and pig ears.

Beef tongue.

Oxe tail soup.

Fried parsnips.

Stuffed Beef heart,

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3809 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by divil:
Amen on the uncooked ramen. I may eat kimchi some day, after all I eat kimchi flavored ramen.

Love me some kimchi.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17305 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yogurt on pancakes.

Maple syrup is good, but I typically want additional protein with my carb-heavy pancakes, so I often top them with peanut butter or yogurt instead.

I put yogurt on biscuits too. Especially day-old leftover biscuits. Kind of like a slightly healthier cupcake, perhaps?

Works best with thicker Greek yogurt, so it won't run all over the place.

quote:
Uncooked ramen. Sprinkle the flavor packet on it and eat it like a big potato chip.

My college roommate used to do that. Toss the dry noodles and flavor powder in a ziploc bag, smash it with his fist a couple times, then head to class while munching it from the bag like chips.

Posts: 32557 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Fried chicken gizzards.

When the batter is right, I cannot pass them up.

The bowling ally at NAS North Island had some of the best followed closely by a corner gas stop in Watonga, OK

Gizzards are a great appetizer or snack.

Chewy and delicious.

Posts: 14124 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by George43:
Pickled pigs feet and pig ears.

I grew up on a hog farm.

I could never eat a pig's foot after seeing what they walk through.

Posts: 14124 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
pan fried or deep fried squirrel is delicious.

You want young squirrels. If they are old you want to make stew out of them. If they skin tough they eat tough.

Before you turn your nose up at them because they resemble rats, consider what they eat. Wild nuts and fruits. Probably the cleanest animal in the woods. Far tastier than a stinking male deer.

I hunt small game with a 22lr exclusively because I don't want to bite down on bird shot and I enjoy the challenge of making a clean shot with a 22.

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
pan fried or deep fried squirrel is delicious.

You want young squirrels. If they are old you want to make stew out of them. If they skin tough they eat tough.

Before you turn your nose up at them because they resemble rats, consider what they eat. Wild nuts and fruits. Probably the cleanest animal in the woods. Far tastier than a stinking male deer.

I hunt small game with a 22lr exclusively because I don't want to bite down on bird shot and I enjoy the challenge of making a clean shot with a 22.

When I was stationed in Charleston, SC, I lived up in Monck's Corner, on the fringes of Francis Marion National Swamp Forest.

Had a house right out in the puckerbrush, and behind the house was a patch of woods that was about 50% hickory. Chockablock FULL of big, fat gray squirrels.

Used to go down with my High Standard Sport King pistol and pop a few. Guy that roomed with me was from NC and he'd skin 'em out and make stew out of 'em. Pretty good eatin'!

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15274 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mttaylor1066
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
I like Escargot, not weird to me, but a lot of people don't like it.

I am one of those people who LOVE escargot... especially with an extra garlicky basil sauce... man, now I'm hungry!

Company, villainous company hath been the spoil of me.

Posts: 1604 | Location: Stamford, CT | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sig Forum Smart-Ass
Picture of Rotndad
posted Hide Post
Florida Favorrites are Aligator tail, fried mullet, smoked mullet, Conch fritters, shark steaks, stingray wing of any the species of fresh and saltwater fish. I have also eaten rattle snake, possum, raccoon, armadilo, fish head soup and who knows what else from our Cuban immagrant neighbors.

Escargo, Liverwurst, braunschwieger.

Last but not least what my wife and I call a Signal 4/pedestrian (local signal for a car accident involving a pedestrian) aka Mcrib pig asshole and eyeballs have never tasted so good.

Dripping water hollows out stone, not through force, but through persistence.
-Ovid

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Posts: 10192 | Location: Land O Lakes, FLA | Registered: June 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Put me down for SPAM & menudo

Spam, not often but when I remember I havent had it in a while and I am shopping Ill through some in the cart.

Menudo, my mom makes the best, but there are some TexMex places around Houston that will make it for the weekends almost as good.

HK Ag

This message has been edited. Last edited by: HK Ag,

Posts: 3506 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Malt balls. I have a major sugar addiction.

P229

Posts: 3846 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
During several of my visits to Okinawa, nearly every liberty call included fried octopus on a stick. We called it Okinawa Bubblegum.

USMC (Ret) 1970-1990
Recovering 1911 Addict
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 178 | Location: Manassas, VA | Registered: May 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post