SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    POLITICO Exclusive: Supreme Court Has Voted to Overturn Abortion Rights, Draft Opinion Shows
Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 34
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

POLITICO Exclusive: Supreme Court Has Voted to Overturn Abortion Rights, Draft Opinion Shows Login/Join 
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
So good, buckle up --

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
This is getting spicy.

I'll go grab some popcorn and turn on the CNN or MSNBC.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do I have to explain why an active politician may not be a reliable reporter?

You could email Jim Jordon and ask him..

https://jordan.house.gov/addre...cation?form=/contact

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Here's what I think is going to happen. I hope I'm wrong. The draft vote was 5 to 3. From what I understand junior members vote first. Senior members second and Chief last. Only one vote needs to flip and I think Roberts will vote to uphold. I don't see a Roberts court deciding any other way.

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
Here's what I think is going to happen. I hope I'm wrong. The draft vote was 5 to 3. From what I understand junior members vote first. Senior members second and Chief last. Only one vote needs to flip and I think Roberts will vote to uphold. I don't see a Roberts court deciding any other way.

Do we know the current votes from the leak? There could be five even without Roberts. But I think you are wrong about Roberts, although I am not super-confident in that prediction.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
oddball, I checked that quote and it's unverifiable, doesn't appear to be real. I wish it were real, but it looks like it's not.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:

I thought it was 5-4?

And I think this rat Roberts will screw us again, he's done it over and over already. Why stop now?

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do we know the current votes from the leak?

from the Politico article

A person familiar with the court’s deliberations said that four of the other Republican-appointed justices – Clarence Thomas, Neil Gorsuch, Brett Kavanaugh and Amy Coney Barrett – had voted with Alito in the conference held among the justices after hearing oral arguments in December, and that line-up remains unchanged as of this week.

Posts: 19505 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
So, Alito, Thomas, Gorsuch, Kavanaugh and Barrett voted to overturn. Who cares what that rat Roberts will side with?

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but Roberts was apparently going to have it both ways, by upholding the Oklahoma law banning abortions past 15 weeks, but then at the same time he was not going to overrule Roe.

So 6-3 on the case itself, but 5-4 on Roe. Personally, and this is just me being an optimist at this point, I'm hoping Roberts eventually sides with the majority for an overall 6-3 vote overturning Roe.

Wishful thinking most likely.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Smile

Fauxcahontas on big warpath to raise serious wampum!

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10920 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
So, Roe is overturned regardless of what Roberts does. What's the problem?

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
It’s been quite a few years, but I once read the Blackmun Majority Opinion in Roe v Wade, in its entirety. It’s one of the most incredible pieces of creative writing I’ve ever read. The Constitutional right to abortion was discovered lurking in both the Ninth and Fourteenth Amendments, and to read Blackmun trying to explain how the majority teased that ruling out of the Constitution is almost comical. Interestingly, and this may be found in an addendum written by another Justice, the Burger Court DID introduce the idea of limits (especially gestation limits) on abortion in the majority decision, stating (without taking the time to quote verbatim), that the state may have an interest in preserving the life of the unborn after it reaches some stage (third trimester?) of development. That fact is never mentioned in other abortion cases, and the radical viewpoint that a pregnancy can be terminated up to the moment of birth remains the position of those who say they represent “women’s rights.”

I recall that someone, perhaps Rush, once pointed out that the reason abortion is not controversial in the UK is because it wasn’t decided by judicial fiat, but rather by vote. That’s all this leaked draft says is, “return the abortion decision to the people, where it belongs.” The abortion lobby doesn’t trust the American people to make the “right decision.”

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Hey, works for me. 6-3 just looks better than 5-4. That's all.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:

from the Politico article

A person familiar with the court’s deliberations said that four of the other Republican-appointed justices – Clarence Thomas, Neil Gorsuch, Brett Kavanaugh and Amy Coney Barrett – had voted with Alito in the conference held among the justices after hearing oral arguments in December, and that line-up remains unchanged as of this week.

So that is five, as I thought. Five is greater than four, even if Roberts does not join that majority.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
So, Roe is overturned regardless of what Roberts does. What's the problem?

Hey, hey, hey, don't stop people from having it (potentially) rain on their parade.

People are DESPERATE for bad news. They are seriously scrambling to find ANYTHING that could be construed as bad news for conservatives. Overturning RvW will 'energize' the dem base for the mid-terms. Abortion will be *even worse* if Roe is overturned. This will make the undecided flock to the democrat party. biden and harris will reap untold popularity and boosts in their approval ratings. Etc etc etc.

For crying out loud, people come here for endless negativity and pessimism; please stop polluting this thread with unfounded optimism. . .

That being said, I still believe this ruling is a VERY good thing. I'll get negative about it, IF AND ONLY IF there is a valid reason to do so.

I am praying for this vile ruling to be overturned. I am thanking God that he put President Trump in that office, because you know that this would never even be a possibility had the hildabeast appointed those two justices.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
A flip on this very issue has happened before. And, Roberts is hell bent on keeping the court as he sees neutral. He did triple back flips through flaming hoops to uphold OCare.

"JUSTICE KENNEDY'S FLIP
By Rowl ,
Evans and
Robert NovakSeptember 4, 1992
TheSupreme Court on June 29 affirmed, instead of overturning, the Roe v. Wade abortion standard because Justice Anthony Kennedy changed his vote -- a flip attributed in court circles to liberal constitutional scholar Laurence H. Tribe's pulling strings backstage.

Two months later, it is clear Kennedy flipped not only his long-held abortion position but also his vote in the secret conference on the Planned Parenthood of Southeastern Pennsylvania v. Casey decision last fall. That extraordinary switch by a conservative justice stunned antiabortion forces and soured the internal atmosphere among the brethren as the court's new term begins.

This shows how exotic politics inside the Supreme Court can override the designs of presidents. Despite more than 25 years without a justice being nominated by a Democratic president, the court has been pulled leftward by a brilliant law professor utilizing persuasion, flattery and law clerks."

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Some people just can't be happy. Even if they are happy.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some people just can't be happy. Even if they are happy.

I'm unhappy but I identify as happy. Smile

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post