SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    POLITICO Exclusive: Supreme Court Has Voted to Overturn Abortion Rights, Draft Opinion Shows
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 34
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

POLITICO Exclusive: Supreme Court Has Voted to Overturn Abortion Rights, Draft Opinion Shows Login/Join 
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
There’s existing cases which permit a state to ban abortion after a point where the fetus could survive. The Court recognized that this would be a sliding standard as medical treatment advances.

Posts: 5740 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Jay Sekulow was talking on his show a couple of weeks ago about how the Libtarded states are preparing for the overturn of R v W. They're actually passing legislation now to legalize abortion and it's gonna be more brutal, heinous, barbaric, evil, and wicked than we EVER could have imagined. There will certainly be a special place in hell for these motherf****rs. Mad Mad

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thumperfbc:
As an alternative view, perhaps this:

It was leaked by a more conservative leaning person hoping to increase the time between “breaking news” and the election. Maybe the thought was “it’s gonna fire up the dang lefties, so let’s fire them up in May instead of August and hope that they move on and forget, as Americans are apt to do”

That would be one hell of a gamble for whoever leaked the draft opinion, but, IMHO, the political impact of this could play out that way. In a sense the actual decision (if it matches Alito's opinion from last February) could wind up being a bit anticlimactic, or at least not be quite as much of a bombshell. I still think that would be one hell of a gamble, though.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
But make no mistake, I'll gleefully help the Left usher in France 2.0 here in this country in a dozen different ways before living under the thumb of a religious cult.
This has nothing at all to do with religion. Or even abortion, per se. Or "murdering babies" or "a woman's right to choose," either. This is about a SCOTUS decision that didn't even pass muster under the legal concept of penumbra, but was predicated on Constitutional Law made out of whole cloth.

Btw: I'm not part of a "religious cult." I'm an agnostic. And I'm pro-choice.

quote:
Ladies and Gentlemen, I urge to call your Congresscritters and all but beg they try to stop any such efforts in the Court to overturn this...
Apparently you're every bit as clueless about how our government works as you are about the Roe v. Wade decision.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBTRS:

Similar to Disney...have an opinion until they see that the loudest people do not approve and then quickly change their opinion to appease the left who is always the loudest.

No, no, no.

The Supremes don't much care what anyone thinks of what they do, not in that sense.

They are appointed for life, and are acutely aware of their own, untouchable power.

They really are beholden to no one once appointed and confirmed.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
If it turns out a Justice did this they need to be impeached and removed. I know easier said then done I'm sure. But, said Justice should be persona non grata for the remainder of their term. If I were a member I wouldn't confer, talk to, this Justice about anything. Not even the time of day. I would not allow this Justice in my office or any of their staff. I would tell my staffers if you get caught talking to anyone from that Justice's office you'll be fired no questions asked. This is just such an elemental violation of process and trust.

Posts: 7527 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hard to say what kind of effect this will have other betrayal from within and seeing the neurotic and perpetually aggrieved get fired-up to dominate the news cycle.
Mid-terms are coming up, while not terribly pivotal in the grand scheme of things, the Left and the Dems will trot-out the same well worn talking-points about rights and demands while completely ignoring that each state is a semi-autonomous entity. It took me nearly an hour explaining to my 11-year old niece what the difference between countries that are referred to as states and the states within the United States.
Predictably, all this emotional winding-up will target the fence sitters, specifically, 1st generation immigrants who are just trying to make-it and get by, and more importantly the middle-class, suburban women. Both groups are generally not very interested in politics but, took great interest in DJT because of some bad Tweets, sounds bites out of context and a persistent narrative from news and entertainment.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Nothing in the world will create a full time activist and serious political opponent out of me faster than insane religious folks fucking with everyone else's business.
Religion has nothing to do with it. This is a fundamental moral issue, exclusive of religious beliefs. You speak of cults.
If there is any cult involved with this issue, it's the Death Cult of the political left, which is perpetually fearful that their ability to use murder as a form of contraception will be taken from them.

Perfectly said Para.
Never understood why this is a left vs right issue?

Posts: 22910 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
If the leaked material is indeed what it's claimed to be, the court staff and whoever else they use to protect to theirs works in progress will need to jump on this.

Onto the bigger question of whether they vote to overturn Roe, I've long advocated that it was incorrectly decided and it should have always been up to the states to decide what is permissible in terms of other societal issues.

Roe was no more constitutional than if the SCOTUS were to say there's a newly inferred constitutional right to euthanasia and the states were powerless to disagree through legislation.

At most overturning Roe will take the issue back - from which it came - to the states to let them decide whether abortion is allowed and on what terms. This is a state issue and up to the legislatures of each state to decide the issue through legislation. It's a political issue as it always has been and the court erroneously stepped into the political fray decades ago by finding the inferred right.

In a number of states overturning Roe doesn't matter because laws are already on the books protecting or giving the right to abortion.

The biggest problem with overturning it will be that there are generation of people who were raised to believe the Roe was the only law of the land and it can't be any other way. Laws change and are in flux and a bad law doesn't deserve to continue to live in if it's poorly decided.

There will be wailing, crying and protests but in the end the right to an abortion will be determined by the states.

This is my view, too. The Constitution says nothing about abortion (and if you think it prohibits abortion, you are just as wrong), and it should be left to the states. Americans forget that this is a federal system with most of the power reserved to the states.

However, if this is really the Court's opinion, then I have to eat my hat, because I thought that the Court would not reverse Roe after 50 years, no matter how wrong it was.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I agree with the above posts. Abortion is an extra Constitutional issue, and therefore, decided by the States.

Posts: 7527 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

Seriously, does everyone understand just how unprecedented this is? This leak.

I'm not sure why the court would have secrets which could be "leaked" to begin with. Why aren't they on C-Span where everyone can see their thought process?

It's not like they hold military secrets or something. In general, they are not protecting a specific named victim or witness.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
^^^Horseshit.

Nothing like articulate debate is there?

You can do better, and you should make a better argument.

This will, I think stir up a large contingent of middle of the spectrum voters who do support abortion rights. Many of these are suburban women. (Admittedly, there is another large group that is anti abortion, but they probably tend more to the right, already.)

Elections can be swung by 2 or 3% of voters. This could activate that many voters. It could well be important in the midterm election. It won't matter in Alabama. And it won't matter in Massachusetts. But it could matter in Pennsylvania, for an example.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:

And France? Educate yourself. France is currently way more restrictive in regards to abortion than the US as a whole. Way more so. They have a ban on abortions after 12 weeks. Didn't know that, did ya'? And after that there are legal penalties for the woman. Religious cult...ridiculous.

That comment has nothing to do with France's position on abortion, but with France's habits of public protest over politics.

Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
I don't think abortion is as potent a voting issue as the left believes. Don't get me wrong, the crazies will be in a lather, but the independents that decide elections are probably not radical abortion advocates. Of course, the broken media has months to pretend the sky is falling and women are literally being enslaved and forced to procreate.

Posts: 1971 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
And how did all these protestors know to show up at the SC so quickly last night? They must have been given advance notice, this is such a setup Mad

I doubt if Roberts will do anything to pursue the leaker, hell HE could have been the leaker. Roll Eyes

You do like to throw hand grenades loaded with your own personal views and without real evidence or rationale, don't you?

The one thing you would agree with is that Roberts is very concerned about the Court's position and reputation in American society and this would undermine that. Why would he do it?

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironbutt:

It was most likely some law clerk who considers themself as sort of hero, and I hope they're uncovered. I doubt any law firm, with any integrity would hire such an unscrupulous person, but I'm probably wrong.

Anyone who would betray the Court would betray a law firm or its clients, so I think they would be generally untouchable. For good reason.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
This could activate that many voters.

Obviously. And that was obviously the reason for the leak. It might not have any effect on the final Supreme Court ruling, but the longer in advance of the election that such a ruling is known, the more effect it could have on voter turnout.

And if it does affect the outcome of the elections, it will be interesting to see how that in turn affects legislation pertaining to abortions and therefore the abortion rates. As someone pointed out, elections have consequences.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
I’ll wager this doesn’t work out the way the Dimmerwits calculated… just like thinking all these illegals will vote for stroked out marxists.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:

Seriously, does everyone understand just how unprecedented this is? This leak.

I'm not sure why the court would have secrets which could be "leaked" to begin with. Why aren't they on C-Span where everyone can see their thought process?

It's not like they hold military secrets or something. In general, they are not protecting a specific named victim or witness.

Speaking from a science perspective, it's called the Observer Effect. Just the effect of observing something, whatever that something is, affects the thing being observed even if the thing being observed is unaware that it is being observed.

Until the decision is officially published, it's premature to leak any part of the process. It's not the final product.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19665 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
This morning Justice Roberts confirmed the draft is authentic but that it isn't the final product.

As I understand the process, the court circulates drafts to see who agrees with what before a final opinion comes out and my guess is that the leaked document is such a draft.

The far bigger problem is the ultra small circle of SCOTUS justices, clerks and staff and who leaked. The damage is irreversible and will taint the court as an institution for years.

Posts: 4079 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post