SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How to Say You're Old, Without Saying You're Old
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
How to Say You're Old, Without Saying You're Old Login/Join 
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:

John Glenn on the stairs - "One small step..."


That was Neil, not John who said it. Glen said, "Zero G, and I feel fine".
 
Posts: 11500 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
That's right! Glenn was Mercury, Armstrong was the guy on the stairs. Something something something about getting old...



"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.
 
Posts: 13702 | Location: Florida, Northwest of the Mouse | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Was it "one small step for man" or "one small step for a man"? Big Grin
 
Posts: 5569 | Location: NH | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
"for Man" I heard him say it live.

If it's confusing, just remember, it was The Sixties!


--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18
 
Posts: 10115 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:

"for Man" I heard him say it live.
He later confirmed that he said "a man" -- the 'a' was mostly masked by static.



הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
 
Posts: 33816 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I think "Blazing Saddles" covered it unintentionally when they referred to "Authentic American Jibberish"


--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18
 
Posts: 10115 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
The Fuller Brush man.



You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier
 
Posts: 30908 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of robbiedog
posted Hide Post
"Can you get me a cold drink out of the ice box please?"

Or, "Did you watch Clutch Cargo on TV this morning?"
 
Posts: 226 | Location: East Texas | Registered: December 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
The Fuller Brush man.

And the Electrolux and Hoover vacuum salesmen.



"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards
 
Posts: 17193 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I had a "Grit" paper route


 
Posts: 7029 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Charles Chips - delivered, so good, cookies, chips, pretzels

Milk delivered in jugs to the house

Watched the First man on the moon while laying on a bean bag on the floor covered in orangeish shag carpeting.

Watching JFK shooting, seeing the draft numbers coming up on the TV for Vietnam,

Riding across KY on Rt 60 in the back seat of a 1962 Impala without seatbelts, laying up on the rear package shelf and watching for Mr. Peabodys Coal Shovel in Western KY hoping it was up close to the road.
 
Posts: 28598 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Staying up late watching the Jack Paar show.



"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards
 
Posts: 17193 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I was trying to by better beer in a marginal beer cave the other day. It was for 50+ aged guys. I ended up grabbing some 6% alcohol energy drink, kinda thinking it was an IPA. The sales lady looked at me funny, then asked if I knew what it was?

After she explained it I put it back & bought some ‘2 hearted IPA’, MI made. She seemed to think I was too old for the drink.
 
Posts: 7568 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Liking the radio show with the refrain "Plunk your magic twanger Froggy!"

And then later there was Buffalo Bob and the Buckeroos.



Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192
 
Posts: 16769 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
As a child, I often heard the term "back forty," or "north forty" to describe something far away. I never really understood it.

When looking for property to buy in CO years later, I noticed most parcels were 40 acres, and then it hit me as to what the "back forty" was.

Owning a couple of 40 acre parcels now, the wife and I use this term often now. Younger people probably have no idea what we're talking about, like me, when I was younger.


Mike


You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.
 
Posts: 5121 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
 
Posts: 28598 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Cal Worthington and his dog Spot.



You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier
 
Posts: 30908 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:

Gas was $0.48
Stationed at NAS Chincoteague (VA), driving home to the NYC area for weekends, we would take a break and fill up coming off the Delaware Memorial Bridge. Usually around 25¢, but there were frequent price wars that brought it down to the high teens.



הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
 
Posts: 33816 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Back when a credit card was a metal embossed plate crimped to a piece of cardboard, I could be a Thousandaire!

Don't pass cars,

On a curve or hill,

If the cops don't get you,

Morticians will!

Burma-Shave!




 
Posts: 10485 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
How to Say You're Old, Without Saying You're Old


Today I was in need of some penlight batteries.
 
Posts: 22229 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How to Say You're Old, Without Saying You're Old

© SIGforum 2026