SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How to Say You're Old, Without Saying You're Old
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
How to Say You're Old, Without Saying You're Old Login/Join 
Member
posted Hide Post
Begging ice from the Starland Dairy milk man off of the delivery truck that was horse drawn.

I am 73 - Savannah, Ga.
 
Posts: 344 | Location: SE Georgia | Registered: December 25, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
As a military dependent living in West Germany, we had several cases of C-Rations stacked in the closet, provided by Uncle Sam, in preparation for the evacuation if there was an overrun of Russian tanks through the Fulda Gap. To go along with that craziness we also had the "everyone crawl under your desk" drills in elementary school. Those are some interesting memories for sure.




"Prepared in mind and resources"
 
Posts: 1425 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I remember the Ice Man delivering 50 lb. blocks of ice to the family store every 2-3 days. We broke those up and then ran them through a HAND grinder to make chips of ice for the soda fountain drinks. Also, kerosene was delivered for $.11/gal for the small stove to heat water. The store was heated in the winter with ONE coal burning pot bellied stove......coal shed out back.
 
Posts: 7144 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Well, I remember when Gene Autry came out with a brand new Christmas song. It was calld Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer. Then maybe the next year the newest Christmas Song was Silver Bells. Oh ya, the Manor Bread man delivered bread and sweet rolls in horse drawm rig. KCMo mid 40's. right after the war.
edited to ad correction.
 
Posts: 650 | Location: Ocala, FL | Registered: October 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
When I was a teen and the family B&W tv would start acting up, I'd ride my bicycle to Radio Shack to test the tubes and buy a replacement for any that were bad.

The milk man would open the little access hatch to the cold pantry and put in fresh milk. He took away any empty bottles my mom left on the porch.
 
Posts: 11500 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Excuse me while I whip this out.


Beagle lives matter.
______
(\ / @\_____
/ ( ) /O
/ ( )______/
///_____/
 
Posts: 1220 | Location: Panhandle of Florida | Registered: July 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I write using full sentences. I use proper punctuation. I use an apostrophe correctly.
 
Posts: 8496 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Telling about what a test pattern on the tv was.



"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra
 
Posts: 2013 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I remember before Rock was young.

The Beatles, who were they? That was Paul McCartney's band before Wings. Wings?
 
Posts: 8142 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PeteF:
Being your fathers tv remote control


And antenna rotor...




Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.
 
Posts: 16731 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I remember the milk man and the cold, glass bottles of milk-delicious! The bread man always honked at me and waved when I was playing in the yard.

Listened to Gunsmoke on the radio and loved it. William Conrad sounded really tough as Marshal Dillon. My grandmother got the first TV I ever saw. We got one a year or so later.

Dad bought a gas station when I was little older and summers and weekends were never the same-he made me work there-imagine that!

At school, I got my fanny beat with the paddle, the dreaded paddle with the holes drilled in it to make it fly into my rump harder. Happened many times-I was a slow learner. Even in High School!

Bob
 
Posts: 1867 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
I'm as old as my tongue, and a little bit older than my teeth....



"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"
 
Posts: 2835 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
Many of the male teachers at school had wood paddles hanging in the classroom, and actually used them.

Basis Training was with the M14.

I bought my first shotgun from a gun shop at age 15 and it was legal.

I remember only being able to buy gas on alternate days based on your tag number. But I'm so old I was a federal agent at the time, and we had lots of different tags to switch out, always from out of state.


"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY
 
Posts: 2057 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I don't want to party, just buy groceries and Diesel like it was 1999.




 
Posts: 10485 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
We had a smoking lounge in high school. Not for the teachers but for the kids. (1984)
 
Posts: 4421 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig operator:
Sky King, Spin and Marty, Roy and Dale, and best of all The Lone Ranger.

Sea Hunt!
 
Posts: 8102 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
When phone numbers started with letters (our home number was DIamond2-0575).



ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"Pen & Sword as one."
 
Posts: 18072 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
Hotel room keys were really keys.

Collecting for my paper route with punch cards.


------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis
 
Posts: 2292 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Left arm tan from hanging it out the driver's window.




Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.
 
Posts: 9256 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Ranger41
posted Hide Post
Hand crank phones, gas ration stickers on car windshields, VJ Day.


"The world is too dangerous to live in-not because of the people who do evil, but because of the people who sit and let it happen." (Albert Einstein)
 
Posts: 1107 | Location: Rural Virginia - USA | Registered: May 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How to Say You're Old, Without Saying You're Old

© SIGforum 2026