SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How to Say You're Old, Without Saying You're Old
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
How to Say You're Old, Without Saying You're Old Login/Join 
Member
posted Hide Post
Winding up the 78rpm phonograph and replacing the steel needle with bamboo for HiFi… going to the wooden box phone on the wall, cranking for the operator! Asking for 3-digit number; operator telling you that Mary was over at Mabel’s… want to ring there?

I was 2 months old when the attack on Pearl Harbor happened!

Anyone here over 85?


No quarter
.308/.223
 
Posts: 2625 | Location: Central Florida.  | Registered: March 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
We said the Pledge of Allegiance and a prayer every morning in public school before class began.
 
Posts: 1422 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Outdoor fun:
Marbles, Jacks, Kick the Can, Dirtballs --nothing electronic
 
Posts: 2509 | Location: CT River Valley | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Knowing what a party line was, and how it was used

Remembering the nearby McDonalds with a neon sign proclaiming "1,000,000 sold"

Holding left hand to the ear, drawing circles in the air with index finger of the right, to silently say, "Call me"

Having to learn what Zip Code was assigned to your town when they came out

Enjoying (and surviving) backyard Jarts competitions

Playing with the neighborhood kids for hours with no adults in sight

Cars with pushbuttons on the dash to change gears
 
Posts: 15788 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
67-69 Z28s had a 302 cid V8. SSCA Trans Am rules didn’t allow more than 305 cubic inch’s. So the 302 was Chevys solution.


No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain
 
Posts: 3952 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shoulda Coulda
Oughta Woulda
posted Hide Post
My cars in the shop for a new clutch
 
Posts: 658 | Location: Long Island NY | Registered: June 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tleddy:

Anyone here over 85?
89 here, four months short of 90.



הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
 
Posts: 33808 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SW_Sig:

We said the Pledge of Allegiance and a prayer every morning in public school before class began.
Who remembers when the Pledge was changed?



הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
 
Posts: 33808 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Who remembers when the Pledge was changed?


I had to check to be sure, but I remembered correctly.

Being 4 years old, I wasn't aware at the time, but learned of it later.




Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.
 
Posts: 16724 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Memorized phone numbers. At any one time I could repeat at least 7 phone numbers. Still know my childhood home phone number. 790-7606.



You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier
 
Posts: 30906 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
I shoot a 1911.




My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.
 
Posts: 12361 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Spent a lot of nights irrigating the fields listening to KOMA. Local stations didn't play rock so once the sun went down we could tune in to KOMA.
 
Posts: 6113 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
When I was young there was no TV, at least not in the UP of Michigan. I also said that if a pack of smokes ever went to 50 cents I was going to quit.
Rod


"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.
 
Posts: 1872 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by tleddy:

Anyone here over 85?

86 here, for 5 more months
 
Posts: 650 | Location: Ocala, FL | Registered: October 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
I was at a 9/11 memorial event last night, and struck up a conversation with a couple patrol guys from my old agency.
Was telling them about the all hands callout we had, loading up transport vans and heading to Weehawken to board the passenger ferry to Manhattan, only to be turned around and marshalled at the NJ Meadowlands, waiting for the call for help that never came...

One of them said, "yeah, I was born a month after that."

Roll Eyes Thanks, junior.




suaviter in modo, fortiter in re
 
Posts: 3253 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighthouse Keeper
posted Hide Post
My birth year is in my user name, so I’m not nearly as old as some of y’all. However:

We used to argue over the privilege of riding on the package tray in the rear window of the family sedan.

We also had a party line well into my teen years. We also had a snoopy neighbor across the road who regularly gave themselves away with an occasional heavy breath.

I just had a discussion with a (much) younger friend who is a carpenter. He couldn’t believe that we used to drive all of our fasteners by hand when I was (much) younger and working the same job. His eyes got big and he shook his head when I told him we still had to make some of the cuts with a hand saw.
 
Posts: 878 | Location: America's High-Five | Registered: December 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Larry_K
posted Hide Post
I visited Graceland when Elvis was still alive.
*I was just a little kid but I do remember it.


________________________
 
Posts: 1347 | Location: West Tennessee | Registered: August 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
I’ve driven and tuned dual point distributor cars and motorcycles. I carried a Monkeys lunchbox to school it had a glass vacuum bottle for my milk. The Amazing Mr. Limpet was the new release at the theater. Had a slick on my bicycle. 4 of us kids would ride in the back of a truck to go buck bales.


----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------
 
Posts: 5493 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Back in my day we could watch coal being delivered for basement furnaces, carts hauling block ice fir residential delivery, and milk in glass bottles with cream floating on top delivrted to the front door.



Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192
 
Posts: 16769 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Speedbird
posted Hide Post
Cadence in Army Basic Training was mostly about killing commies and a stuff that would definitely have you standing in front of HR these days.

Oh, and we drank water out of a lister bag Frown
 
Posts: 708 | Location: Fort Couch (VA) | Registered: December 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How to Say You're Old, Without Saying You're Old

© SIGforum 2026