SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Half Ashed Cigar Lounge - and sticks with protection.
Page 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... 365
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Half Ashed Cigar Lounge - and sticks with protection. Login/Join 
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
I have never smoked a ghurka of any kind.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4787 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had one Guhrka, aged something or other, and did not care for it. Most everyone I have talked to do not care for them either. They are supposedly revamping the brand, so time will tell. Cigars International is having a fire sale on all of them right now

Posts: 3671 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
I have tried several Gurkha. All underwhelming. The only halfway decent was a Master select which had some spice to it. But it was one dimensional and didn't have that zing that makes a cigar great.

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
posted Hide Post
Cigars international is great to buy brands you know are good, when they are on sale. Usually with shipping their cost is about the same as any local place. I also like the monthly sampler club. They send me 4 different smokes to try out every month and offer a good deal on any of those 4 for members. Its a good way to branch out. Though I am starting to think I should just give my 20$ to the local b&m every month and let them pick something out for me.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
I have never been one for cigar samplers but cigar federation has a sampler / cigar of the month club that always has cigars I like to smoke or want to try. This month they have La Palina mr Sam, crowned heads, Padilla. Mr. Sam is outstanding.

http://store.cigarfederation.c...ar-of-the-month-club

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4787 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
posted Hide Post
Is it really worth 40$ or would I be Better off using that 40$ on stuff you guys recommend here? Or let the local b&m choose for me.

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Photoman:
I gave up cigars fifteen or so years ago except for each New Year's eve. Who's making a good Robusto now days?

The Robusto is a favorite size for me too.
My go to cigar is the AVO Signature Robusto.
It is not cheap but a great smoke.

Posts: 23028 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Tell you what, I scrolled through the prior months of cigars given and in each month I recognize at least one that would easily be $14 to $20 stick at the B&M. Not to mention, I've never seen a Liga #9 or T52 in any type of bundle, much less a Cigar of the Month type deal.

Very tempting...Gator, are you subscribed to this?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12370 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I succumbed. I bought a Monte White (Churchill). $13.25 + sales tax at my CA B&M. I smoked about an inch or so, then set it down and got my pipe going instead. Obviously you folks like cigars, and I respect that, but for me, a good well broken in pipe loaded with aged Virginia flake is the real deal. I might try the Monte again tomorrow though…

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9138 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
I succumbed. I bought a Monte White (Churchill). $13.25 + sales tax at my CA B&M. I smoked about an inch or so, then set it down and got my pipe going instead. Obviously you folks like cigars, and I respect that, but for me, a good well broken in pipe loaded with aged Virginia flake is the real deal. I might try the Monte again tomorrow though…

Oh, you make my heart hurt. May I ask what you were drinking with it? The White is a really good cigar to enjoy with coffee or water. If you like spirits, I've had amazing experiences with a solid bourbon. If beer is more your taste, avoid the hoppier IPA's and go instead with a nice porter or an Octoberfest type beverage. In my experience, the fruity taste of an IPA really works against the taste of a quality cigar.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12370 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
posted Hide Post
There are a couple sticks out there that use pipe tobacco as a filler. More Smokey charred flavors I forget the name maybe someone here can find it. I agree about the less hoppy beers. A scotch or coffee goes great with the montecristo white.

Cigar Nerd
posted Hide Post
Ok I found a couple. One is the drew estate kentucky fire cured. The other is simply called Spectre. I actually liked the Spectre. Give it a try. Not as high dollar as Monte.

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Pipe Smoker:

You might consider dabbling with the Drew Estate Acid line...very unique. I've always thought it would be the perfect compromise for a pipe smoker.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Cigar Nerd
posted Hide Post
Just watched Ryan Fitzpatrick of the Texans possibly get his leg broken. So I decided it was time to go out for a smoke. Some shiner holiday cheer and a Perdomo champagne(the official new name of what was originally called the 10th anniversary,here to stay permanently with the new name) these come in 4 iterations. Connecticut(for me the king of mild cigars) Noir (they call it a dark Connecticut, not a true maduro but tastey and peppery as hell) one of my favorites. Criollo, this is my dance with this wrapper, so far its really tasty, more spice than the Noir, and next on my list to try the Sun grown.

Build and construction are great. First inch has lots of pepper, more than the other 2 types of this line that I've tried. Cant beat the price of these at about 6$ a piece. 5$ if you get a 5 pack with free shipping at CI. They are an even 6 at my b&m. I'm picking up some leather and cedar. No creamy finish on this one, seems to be more on the spicy side. Id rate it between medium and full.

Halfway down, and the pepper has intensified, the kind of pepper bomb I enjoy. Its really windy and its burning much faster than I prefer. Might have to smoke another later if the weather permits, feels like front coming in and I'm in shorts. I'm getting a slightly sweet finish, could be the beer but I'm pretty certain its the smoke.

On the last third and the pepper is still great. More cedar and leather, with a creamy finish developing. It leaves a spicy flavor and tingle on my lips. I rate this on at a 90. Great for the price.

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:

Oh, you make my heart hurt. May I ask what you were drinking with it? The White is a really good cigar to enjoy with coffee or water. If you like spirits, I've had amazing experiences with a solid bourbon. If beer is more your taste, avoid the hoppier IPA's and go instead with a nice porter or an Octoberfest type beverage. In my experience, the fruity taste of an IPA really works against the taste of a quality cigar.

I was sipping an excellent lungo (an espresso with a bit more water run through the grounds). My favorite caffeine source. Delish with a pipe!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9138 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Pipe Smoker:

You might consider dabbling with the Drew Estate Acid line...very unique. I've always thought it would be the perfect compromise for a pipe smoker.

Thanks. I'll put that on my shopping list.

Serious about crackers

posted Hide Post
http://www.cigarsinternational...kly-special/?slide=1

I was able to stop in today and grab a box of Belicoso. Great deal considering normally a box is $160. 50% off plus a $25 gift card for a decent cigar is a great deal in my opinion.

Posts: 3671 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pipe Smoker, All cigars need a little bit of time to heat up in order to release their flavors and reach their full potential. It is not instant unless you go with a flavored or unique cigar like a Kentucky Fire Cured or a Spectre that each have smokey flavors associated with them. Next time you light a cigar, give it at least a third to burn before you put it down. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by petr:
Pipe Smoker, All cigars need a little bit of time to heat up in order to release their flavors and reach their full potential. It is not instant unless you go with a flavored or unique cigar like a Kentucky Fire Cured or a Spectre that each have smokey flavors associated with them. Next time you light a cigar, give it at least a third to burn before you put it down. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Thanks for that tip! I'll give it a try.

Serious about crackers

Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
just picked these beauties up, a buddy has a "hook up".. the draw on them is ridiculous. and they aren't huge which I prefer.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post