SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Half Ashed Cigar Lounge - and sticks with protection.
Page 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... 365
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Half Ashed Cigar Lounge - and sticks with protection. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I am not a fan of the Fire Cured, but didn't expect that kind of result. I do know of some people that smoke with a root beer all of the time. I never tried it though myself.

Posts: 3671 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I'm not usually big on infused cigars, but I just found 3 Gurkha Reserves that had been infused with Louis XIII Cognac. Some years ago I got to try one and I remember them to be very good cigars.

Who needs Cuban's when there are so many outstanding no Cuban choices out there!?!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12370 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by petr:
I am not a fan of the Fire Cured, but didn't expect that kind of result. I do know of some people that smoke with a root beer all of the time. I never tried it though myself.

No alcohol permitted in the local B&M, so it's soda, coffee or water. (or whatever you smuggle in, but I choose to respect the owner's rules). A lot of the guys go with a ginger soda, I hated it. Love the root-beer though.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12370 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
I didn't jump on the padron deal because the 4 pack is the same price at my B&M. So tonight I finally got to smoke the Perdomo 20th anniversary maduro I bought 2 weeks ago for Turkey day but was too busy to smoke. Ill note that I had a glass of glenlivet 15 year with it so ymmv.

I generally use a punch cutter if draw is too tight I'll go to the trusty colibri. Tonight only the punch was needed. Pre light draw had a sweetness to it and heavy tobacco flavor which was expected of a full flavor Nicaraguan puro. The sweetness was a surprise that disappeared as soon as it was lit. Instantly I was hit with strong peppery flavor, delicious and almost overwhelming. I drink my scotch with an ice ball and together the scotch and cigar were almost too strong, I did get a little nauseous during the first third. So I let the ice melt for a bit before I sipped any more. The first third was all pepper, some leather and oak, maybe a hintvof bourbon(the wrapper is aged in bourbon barrels for 14 months). The second third mellowed out and brought in more cocoa and oak flavor, very smooth and enjoyable, at this point my ice ball had melted some and the scotch was a little less stout. The last part of this smoke is where it really shined, a mild pepper/spice lots of oak and bourbon flavors. As I sit here writing this, down to the nub, slightly burning my fingers I can only think about getting to smoke another. Ill let the next one age a few months before I revisit. Tomorrow I plan on enjoying a Montecristo Espada. They have been advertising the crap out of it and my B&M has been pushing it so I am really looking forward to this one. I really am a fan of the Nicaraguan smokes, it seems like the Puros never disappoint and tonight was no different.

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
I am having a second new world by A J Fernandez. This a a good cigar. I find the cold weather mutes the subtle flavors on some cigars. But this has been good linear but with good solid flavors. Paired it with some bourbon.

JayW post your thoughts on that monte I have one and I have wanted to try it just haven't gotten to it yet.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4787 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
posted Hide Post
Montecristo Espada. Pre light draw was very mild. Light tobacco flavor. I punched a hole and fired it up. First part so far is very mild. More leather than anything. Not much spice. I will compliment the finish and construction on this stick. Rolled very well, beautiful wrapper, my first ash is right at an inch and the draw is perfect. No change until the halfway point. Some spice kicking in not heavy as I prefer but enough to be enjoyable for me I'm picking up a little sweet aftertaste and the leather/cedar is getting stronger. This cigar is rated as medium to full but I rate is at just under medium strength a Perdomo champagne Connecticut has more kick.

I gotta say for the price the Espada is not worth it. I am a bit disappointed. Not much spice, too much leather/cedar. No creamy flavor but a hint of sweetness at the nub. This would be a good smoke at work where I get interrupted alot. If it was 5-6$ I would recommend it but as it is I give it a 6.5/10. Today my B&M swindled me out of some cash. I came on looking for a Perdomo edicion de silvio which at first he claimed to not have. So when I go to check out with 2 Perdomo double aged 12 years and a few assorted cle's he says oh I have that silvio in the back let me go get it. So I got more than I bargained for lol. Ill review those next weekend maybe sometime this week.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the write up Jay. I have found that most of the "big" names are not worth the money.

Posts: 3671 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
posted Hide Post
Something I am learning the hard way. So far the 2 montecristo the davidoff and the Ashton I've had were a letdown. Also all the Gurkha and drew estates I've tried were less than stellar for the price.

Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
JayW find Tatuaje. This is the standard by which I judge Non-cubans. If a cigar is as good for similar cost or less I will buy more, if it's not as good and costs more I never buy them again.

If you haven't tried them start with the plain brown band, then the reserva and cojonu. These are the origins of the brand. From there give the 10th anniversary a try. I recommend them second as they are slightly more refined and once you have one it might ruin the original band for you.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4787 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tatuaje, La Gloria Cubana, CAO Flathead series, My Father, in no particular order are all good sticks at decent prices.

posted Hide Post
I was able to enjoy a cigar this afternoon as the temperature was in the mid 50's. So what did I smoke? A CI blend lab YH-456.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
A Monte and MNF

Posts: 23746 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
posted Hide Post
CLE corojo today at work, not very good, i like the connecticut better.

posted Hide Post
What didn't you like about it?

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
A Monte and MNF

Typically cannot go wrong with a Monte. Is that a #2?

Have you tried the whites? One of my all time faves!!!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Cigar Nerd
posted Hide Post
The Monte Espada was a letdown for me.

Petr the corojo wasnt bad, it just wasnt very good, i prefer the heavy spice flavors and it only briefly had spice, all leather and some other flavor i cant identify. Alot like a milder version of the Espada i had sunday.

Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Monte White are my favorite right now.

Posts: 13779 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
posted Hide Post
I havent given up on Monte just yet, i have a sampler pack which includes the White, a platinum, a reserva negro and plain old #3.

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
** Today's Confession **

Sometimes when I need my cigar fix, I will open up the Prometheus filled with "the good stuff", and just slowly inhale the smells.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Cigar Nerd
posted Hide Post
Is the prometheus your humidor? I often find myself gazing through the glasstop of my humidor. Sometimes i will open it up and get a wiff of the different smells.