SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Half Ashed Cigar Lounge - and sticks with protection.
Page 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... 365
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Half Ashed Cigar Lounge - and sticks with protection. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
All we can do at this point is speculate what will happen. In my opinion, it will make Cuban cigars easy to trade in the private sector and difficult for shops to sell at first. Keep in mind that there is a $100 limit per person. A shop would have to send people to Cuba in order to bring back sticks. Not very cost productive and this would increase the price of the cigars drastically. On the other hand, a personal barter or sale would be more in check with reality. Since the first "new" thing would be that they are now legal to own, price gouging will take place amongst Americans. There would be no stopping people from outside of the U.S. that currently have access to Cuban cigars legally from selling them to Americans now. This has been going on since the embargo began, as I am sure some people have Cubans in their humidors currently...even with the embargo in place.

Now on to counterfeits. This has been going on forever. Not only in cigars but blue jeans, Coach purses, anything really. If there is money to be made, they will have a fake out there. It will now be easier to counterfeit a cigar due to the availability of Cuban bands. There will be a sharp increase in fakes and we as consumers need to be vigilant in purchasing from a known, good shop. Bubbas Bargain Cigars, that just opened up on Ebay/Craigslist, would not be a reputable shop. However, Holts cigars, among other established shops are a different story.

In turn, this will blow over just as the ammo shortages. We need to sit back and take a deep breath and let the fools figure things out the hard way. Prices will settle as will the supply and things will work themselves out. It will not be an overnight deal, but may take YEARS for everything to align. But having friends from other countries or even Cuba may be a HUGE advantage until things settle down.

On edit: A shop would be able to order Cubans from other countries now, but I am not sure how the $100 limit will come into play for that. Will they be able to order a boat load of sticks for thousands of dollars at a time and do so legally? How will customs come into play? There are a lot of unanswered questions at this time that will be answered as they come into play.

Posts: 3671 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, I almost forgot I was working out in the garage tonight and smoked a New World. This is a good stick, not my favorite, but good. I do prefer the Shizo over this though.

Posts: 3671 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Quite honestly, I will stick with my Liga 9's, Tatajue's, and occasional Padrons' while the rest of the world goes "Black Friday Door Buster" on overpriced and sub-quality Cubans.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12370 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Exactly! Ride out the storm enjoying what we are now until things cool off.

Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
Got my Anejos today, might smoke one tonight.

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting to note that of the top ten cigars named by Cigar Afficianado for 2014, only one is a Cuban and it isn't the number one cigar on the list.

IMHO, the quality of Cuban cigars has declined over the years, mainly due to the inherent incompetence of Communism and its negative affect on economies in general. That and the fact that all the good cigar makers who were able to, left Cuba years ago and set up shops elsewhere. I don't see lifting the embargo changing any of that, without radical internal changes in Cuba.

Posts: 1364 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
posted Hide Post
My uncle is from Cuba. He says the best of Cuba left 50 years ago. Cigar makers and tobacco growers included. Without a free market to compete with why would quality remain a factor? I would still like to try an original Cohiba, but this Arturo Fuente I'm puffing on leaves me wondering how much better could it be?

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr.9mm:
Interesting to note that of the top ten cigars named by Cigar Afficianado for 2014, only one is a Cuban and it isn't the number one cigar on the list.

IMHO, the quality of Cuban cigars has declined over the years, mainly due to the inherent incompetence of Communism and its negative affect on economies in general. That and the fact that all the good cigar makers who were able to, left Cuba years ago and set up shops elsewhere. I don't see lifting the embargo changing any of that, without radical internal changes in Cuba.

After awhile you will notice that cigar manufactures that place adds do well in the tastings as well as the "best of the year" in Cigar Afficinado.

Olivia best of the year? It's okay but best of the year? The rest of the top ten is similar.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4787 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Advertising dollars sway their ratings.

That Anejo is quite good. Be sure to let one age till next year

Cigar Nerd
posted Hide Post
It was quite good. Lots of pepper. I plan on aging at least 1. Thanks for the recommendations guys. I really enjoyed it. I also tried a Tatuaje brown band, which was great, and picked up a Tatuaje 10th.

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jaywendland1981:
<snip> and picked up a Tatuaje 10th.

This is my hands down favorite smoke and I cannot find them anymore. May I ask where you found one?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12370 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
posted Hide Post
Seriouscigars.com don't buy them all! Lol

Cigar Nerd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GA Gator:
quote:
Originally posted by Mr.9mm:

After awhile you will notice that cigar manufactures that place adds do well in the tastings as well as the "best of the year" in Cigar Afficinado.

Olivia best of the year? It's okay but best of the year? The rest of the top ten is similar.

Its the same way with cars and motor trend/car and driver type magazines. Some of the cars at the top of their reliability list are just asinine. Their long term tests include using the car for a year? Really you put 15-20k on a car under warranty and rate it reliable?

Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I don't know how much money influences the ratings but I'll say without reservation that the Flor de las Antillas deserves its rating along with the rest of the My Father sticks I've tried thus far.

Posts: 13777 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
This Brickhouse maduro I'm puffing on is smooth as hell. Full flavor but not an overload. Some coffee and cocoa with just a hint of spice.

Posts: 13777 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
posted Hide Post
I tried one of those, they are a good smoke, did you get the "Mighty Mighty" size? That thing is huge!

Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
It was a 5 x 54 robusto and it was perfect

My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
It should get really interesting when they try to settle all of the all of the trademark issues. (Cuban vs. Non Cuban overlaps)

In 1998 Altidis was formed in Spain by merging the Spainish and French cigar monopolies. In 2000 Altidis bought 50% of the Cuban National Cigar monopoly, then called Habanos S.A. Habanos S.A was in serious trouble due to mismanagement, no surprise.

Altidis was aquired by Imperial Tobacco, a British company in 2008.

Imperial owns these non Cuban Brands as well as 50% of the company producing all Cuban cigar.

Premium hand rolled:
Don Diego
Flor de Copan
H. Upmann
José Piedra
Longshamp
Montecristo
Pleiades
Quintero
Romeo y Julieta
Santa Damiana
VegaFina
Siglo Limited Reserve

Machine Made:
Antonio y Cleopatra
Backwoods
Ducados Cigarros
Dutch Masters
Dux
Entrefinos
Farias
Fleur de Savane
Guantanamera
Havanitos
Henry Clay
Niñas
Phillies
Picaduros
Tampa Nugget

The quality of Cuban cigars has improved over the past few years, starting really with 2009 production. There are many variables but the investment By non communists is thought to be one of the variables.

With cigars taste is subjective. For a cigar smoker now is a great time. There are so many great cigars, Cuban and non Cuban...there is something for every every taste.

We just have to beat back the governments attempts to eliminate personal freedom.

CRA is a great organization that does just that. Have a look!

http://www.cigarrights.org

Posts: 12944 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Premium hand rolled:
Don Diego
Flor de Copan
H. Upmann
José Piedra
Longshamp
Montecristo
Pleiades
Quintero
Romeo y Julieta
Santa Damiana
VegaFina
Siglo Limited Reserve

I have tried most of the brands on this lis, most of their offerings, and havent found one that i really enjoyed. Montecristo and H upman especially. Its really disappointing honestly.

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jaywendland1981

Are you familiar with Tatuaje? This has turned into one of my favorite brands. If you can find it, try a Tatuaje 10th Anniversary Miami.

If you don't have access to the Tatuaje line, send me a PM with your mailing address. I've got a couple of different Tats' for you to try...one of their 2014 Monsters and a 2014 TAA. You won't be able to buy either anymore, but I think you'll like them and hopefully you'll give the rest of the Tat line a try.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ