SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Half Ashed Cigar Lounge - and sticks with protection.
Page 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... 365
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Half Ashed Cigar Lounge - and sticks with protection. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
That is a great price for the Shark. A very good smoke if you have not had one before. I was able to smoke a My Father Special tonight while clearing a little more snow from today. Great cigar that lost the pepper bomb it was at first. I have a few months of age on it now and they have gained a chocolate flavor.

Posts: 3671 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cherokee2u:
quote:
Originally posted by Jaywendland1981:
Very nice humidor.

^^^^ +1

Thank you both. I regret only that in the desire to save a few bucks, I opted for this model. In hindsight I would have purchased one slightly larger.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12370 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
Why do you guys call it the shark? Is that a nickname for the anejo?

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jaywendland1981:
Why do you guys call it the shark? Is that a nickname for the anejo?

From their website:

The Añejo Shark was actually made and named because of Marvin Shanken (Cigar Aficionado owner) and Carlito’s brother in-law, Wayne Suarez. Carlito named it the “SS Shark” because they both loved this vitola and blend; one “S” stood for Shanken and the other “S” stood for Suarez.

The “No.77″ designation comes not from the ring gauge of this cigar, as it does for the other cigars in the Añejo line, but rather from a more amusing reason altogether.Carlito took his kids to Sea World in Orlando, FL, and there noticed that some of the sharks in the tank had two pectoral fins, which looked sort of like two 7’s.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12370 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
posted Hide Post
I see. Thanks for that bit of info.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
posted Hide Post
Are they really that good? I have spent way too much money on supposedly high end cigars lately only to be let down? Anyone here have a reliable review? Flavor profile?

Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
The sharks are gone by the way. RONIN bought them all Big Grin

anejo are excellent, they have the same binder and filler as the opus X but the wrapper is aged for a year in oak cognac barrels. Cognac is fermented champagne which is very sweet. This wrapper adds a sweetness to the opus profile of pepper, woody, leathery flavors.

I prefer the larger ring Guage such as the shark so the sweetness doesn't dominate the flavors. I pair them with a spicy rye whiskey, good black coffee etc.

This reminds me I have a 2012 #48 I'm going to have with a glass of rye over the holidays.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4787 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
posted Hide Post
I scored a 5 pack of the 46.

Cigar Nerd
posted Hide Post
Perdomo edicion de silvio 20$ Perdomo's top smoke. I wont give an extensive review of this one as I'm at the b&m and talking with some of the guys here. Cant really concentrate on all the amazing flavors from this one but I bought 2 so I'll review it better some other time.

I'm at the 2nd 3rd and so far this is the best smoke I've had. A medium to heavy pepper bomb with a creamy profile. Already worth the money.

Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
Caldwell eastern standard, very tasty medium plus cigar.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4787 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
posted Hide Post
Perdomo barrel aged 12 year sun grown double robusto. 12$ the last one of these I reviewed was a Connecticut wrapper and was outstanding just wasn't peppery enough for me. This one is rated higher on the pepper scale. I will update soon.

Prelight draw was smooth and creamy. First puff hit me with that Nicaraguan spice that I enjoy! A good amount of pepper on this one. Starting off better than the Connecticut, noticing some oak and some kind of nut like the previous 12 year, almond maybe? I also picked up the maduro version last night, next weekend maybe. I think I rated the Connecticut at a mild, this one is listed as a medium and so far holds true.

The build is excellent of course. Perfect wrapper, shape roll and draw are all top notch. I've yet to have a Perdomo disappoint in that department, even their cheaper cigars are constructed great and double capped.

First ash is just over an inch and holding strong despite the breeze. First ash and third down. Getting a bit more pepper and some light leather. With a really good smooth creamy finish. I am really digging this one. Though like the last one, not quite peppery enough. I bet the maduro will be better in this regard. I'm picking up a kind of sweet taste I cant nail down. Maybe bourbon? Canadian whiskey?

Just hit the last 3rd and dropped my second ash. The pepper has died down which is unfortunate. There's more creamy and sweet flavors. Lots of oak, almond? And while the spice died down it leaves a spicy finish on my lips and tongue. All around a good smoke id rate it a 9.5 like the Connecticut. Still not at the pepper bomb I prefer but I enjoyed it. I would buy again if I had the choice. Its still early and I'm in the mood for a pepper bomb so I may fire up a 20th anniversary maduro later tonight. Hope everyone has an enjoyable evening.

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Temps in the 40's tonight. Going to sit outside at a campfire and smoke a Liga Ratzillia.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

posted Hide Post
http://www.cigarsinternational...w-estate-undercrown/

I saw this today and know a few people here like Drew Estate. Make an offer and see if you get a deal.

Posts: 3671 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Guys -

I ordered these a few months ago, showed up today. I've got some research to do on some of these sticks, quite honestly I got caught up in the rareness and do not fully know what I've got. I'm going to close the box back up and put them in my locker at the B&M til spring.

Thanks for letting me share!

If there are any Fuente fans out there who can/will tell me more about these I'd sure be interested to hear what you have to say.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Picture of Photoman
posted Hide Post
I gave up cigars fifteen or so years ago except for each New Year's eve. Who's making a good Robusto now days?

+++

Posts: 1561 | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ronin, WOW!!!! Let me pose the question to someone who may know the answer on Facebook.

Photoman, There are quite a few good robusto sized cigars on the market. What did you like in the past? Mild, medium, or strong body? Pepper, chocolate, coffee or other flavors? Personally, I like the My Father robusto. It is full bodied and peppery. More full bodied smokes with chocolate and coffee notes are the CAO Flathead series, La Gloria Cubana Serie N or less coffee and chocolate Serie R. On the medium body side Man O War Virtue, CAO America, My Father le Bijou or a Fuente Hemmingway. Mild body smokes I do not have a lot of experience with them so maybe someone else can give thier input.

Cigar Nerd
posted Hide Post
Ill vote for any Perdomo double robusto. If mild is your flavor then the champagne Connecticut wrapper. Also called 10th anniversary. Mild with just a little of everything. A good spice too.

posted Hide Post
Ronin, the cigars are only available in the sampler that comes out every year. The only thing that changes from year to year are the cigars they choose to put in the sampler.

Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
Ezra Zion for me tonight, love the retrohale flavors on the Ezra Zion cigars.

Ronin that's a great sampler you got, enjoy.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Any of you guys ever smoke a Gurkha Enforcer?
The BIL has one and it has a good pre-light smell, but has an odd lit taste.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ