SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How are you fixed for ammunition?
Page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How are you fixed for ammunition? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
If anyone needs more encouragement to stack it deep...

From the folks at SGAmmo

News from Shotshow 2024: I just got home from 4 days in Las Vegas at the shotshow, where I met with the people from the factories we work with, factory sales people, factory directors and owners, importers, etc. The big point of discussion seemed to be shortness in supply for nitrocellulose, which is the raw material used to make gunpowder and other propellants and explosives. Based on these conversations, the issue seems to be based on 2 factors, decreased availability in the supply chain and increased demand for the manufacturing of military ordnance. Getting into the details and a little more, a huge percentage of the nitrocellulose used to make gunpowder historically came from China and Russia, however according to my conversations with industry partners, the Chinese manufacturers who historically were the biggest suppliers at over 30% of the market share are no longer willing to ship raw nitrocellulose to the USA or NATO member countries in attempt to reduce the USA & NATO's ability to supply Ukrainian forces with artillery shells, and of course Russia who historically was the 2nd biggest supplier is out of the supply chain as well. This decrease in supply in raw material has gunpowder manufacturers in the USA raising prices dramatically and cutting off many of the smaller ammo manufacturers. The 2nd part of this issue is the demand for military ordnance, like 155mm artillery shells that use huge quantities gunpowder propellants, and the gunpowder manufacturers switching production to this type of gunpowder with what supply of nitrocellulose they do get. The first reason is that they always put the US government's needs before those of the commercial market, and the second reason is that it is simply much more profitable to manufacturer military ordnance than it is small caliber ammunition, so they get a much more profitable price manufacturing powder for artillery shells. In conclusion, while most of the factories seem to have gunpowder stockpiled today, this issue is expected to catch up to them no later than the summer of 2024 and possibly within a few months, and when it does it will mean the factories will be capable of producing much less small caliber ammunition to sell to the US commercial market. If demand for ammo is low to moderate, you may not see a big change, but if demand were to go way up as it does periodically, the factories will not be able to ramp up capacity to fill that demand. In my opinion, a lot could go wrong in the commercial ammo supply chain in 2024 and it would be wise to stock up sooner than later as 2024 price increases have just started to set in on just a handful of select items so far, and availability is still good which has held prices down temporarily.

link

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
I read that and then checked my email and saw the same letter with attached specials. It's been a while since I last ordered. They may be talking their book a little, not that they need to, but it's only the truth.

Seemed like a good time to buy: final bill, 290.71. There were 8 left after I bought one Wink

1000 Round Can - 9mm NATO 124 Grain Winchester Mil-Spec Ammo - Q4318 - Packed in M2A1 Metal Canister

https://www.sgammo.com/product...o-q4318-packed-m2a1-

Interestingly, my first order in 2012 was for a 1000 rd case - 9mm Luger Aguila 124 grain FMJ ammo that cost 197.80 plus $16 shipping.

Posts: 3522 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5742 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
Just topped off my supply of Federal HST for the 9mm, 40S&W and 45 ACP. Got plenty of FMJ, and can make a lot more.

Posts: 4020 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
From Herkdriver:

quote:
the Chinese manufacturers who historically were the biggest suppliers at over 30% of the market share are no longer willing to ship raw nitrocellulose to the USA or NATO member countries in attempt to reduce the USA & NATO's ability to supply Ukrainian forces with artillery shells, and of course Russia who historically was the 2nd biggest supplier is out of the supply chain as well.

Sure hope people wake up soon and stop depending on our enemies for the thinks we need.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4136 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Just shootin' at some food and up through the ground came some bubblin' crude...."Californy is the place you ought to be"

OK Californy get your trucks ready and load up....

Thank you Judge Benitez for upholding the 2nd Ammendment.

Posts: 22915 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
1000 of S&B 9mm and 200 of Winchester 223, $380 shipped from Gunprime

Posts: 5327 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
I shoot a lot of .357 SIG.
But... it's gotten really expensive.
However, my P229 also has a .40 S&W barrel which I may swap into the pistol as I can find .40 S&W ammo a lot cheaper. If I'm lucky, I can find .40 S&W almost as cheap as 9mm.

For those who aren't familiar...

Post your great ammo deals here:
Billy Bob's BangBang Boutique
That's right, son! Get your cheap ammo here!
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/frm/f/603106699

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24128 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
These were at Costco today, four boxes in a tray I wouldn't call them heavy duty but they do have a rubber seal and made in the US. $20

Posts: 5327 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
^^^^
I picked some up for organizing purposes. Their latches can be hard to pop open. The trick is to push down on the top in the front by the latches.

Posts: 12468 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked up one too. Not really heavy duty but not bad for the price.

Posts: 1102 | Location: Toano, Va.  | Registered: January 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I wasn't too happy when I filled them up with ammo, they are tapered on the side instead of square. It limits the amount you can put in there

Oh well, I'd still buy more for $20

Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
After topping off my 308 and SD 9mm, 40SW and 45 ACP, I went downstairs and truly took inventory. I then told my wife to send me back to the basement if I attempted to buy more.

Posts: 4020 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Just a few cases short of not enough. Smile

Posts: 6920 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big Swede,
Do those stack well?

Are the lids and bases indexed ?

Or do the slip all over?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54651 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I just reorganized my stash and found three cases I forgot I had. Big Grin

Posts: 7076 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, every time I do an inventory, I have less ammo than I thought I had. It's come to the point where I know I have to get range time but don't want to expend the ammo necessary for it.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9162 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
Unfortunately, every time I do an inventory, I have less ammo than I thought I had. It's come to the point where I know I have to get range time but don't want to expend the ammo necessary for it.
I'm shooting more .22 than anything else now . I have enough to last me a lifetime .

Posts: 4062 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The last .22lr I had was a Phoenix, I think. POS semi-auto, left it behind when we moved.

I've never owed a .22lr since then.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9162 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
The last .22lr I had was a Phoenix, I think. POS semi-auto, left it behind when we moved.

I've never owed a .22lr since then.
You're missing out .

Posts: 4062 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post