SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How are you fixed for ammunition?
Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How are you fixed for ammunition? Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Better after being seduced by this thread and SGAmmo Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16551 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Re-inventoried my ammo today and updated my spreadsheet.

I came across some 9mm and 22 lr that I purchased but forgot to add to my inventory.

Also consolidated so I now have 3 empty 30 cal cans, 2 50, and 1 fat 50.

I guess I need to fill them up.

Posts: 1144 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up, sir. Several cans I ordered came in yesterday.

Posts: 17267 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RR
posted Hide Post
These threads are gonna bankrupt me

Posts: 492 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: October 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
Me, too. Maybe it's a good thing ammo is getting harder to find, at lease in a perverse sense.

I wanted to get more Federal 9BPLE 9mm +P+ but I didn't act quickly enough and missed out, so I had an excuse to take a break (of course, after I bought some Federal 9mm +P instead).

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9386 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought I had enough during Paras last warning, but took it to heart and stocked up even more. At one point I had over 22000 rounds of 5.56 and substantial amounts of other calibers I shot. I try to stick with the common. 9mm, .45, .22, .308, 12 ga.

Then 2 things occurred which made me reconsider how much I had. 1st, the wife started talking about moving. The weight of all that ammo was nothing short of stunning and I didn't want to move it all.

Next, a new shortage developed. New shooters and new gun buyers found themselves without, and I asked around the office if they'd be ok with me selling it out of the office, so I listed it on a local gun board and tried to spread it around so that 1 person didn't get a hoard, but lots of different folks got enough to sight in a new firearm and have some left over. I was selling it for a lot less than any store was, so I made money and new folks could get some ammo. Literally, at that time the shelves were totally bare of all of those calibers noted above.

I got it to under 5000 round of 5.56, @1000 9mm HST and 1000 of .45 with some FMJ of those as well, @12000 rounds of .22 and some various shotgun loads to both kill deer and birds and feel I'm fairly well situated. Especially if we ever do move...which is looking less likely.

Thanks for this heads up as well Para, like a lot of folks, I use to keep a few boxes ahead, enough for the next range session or so: but that isn't a good idea these days.

BTW, as an aside, I stumbled on some at least 50 year old 12 ga #7. It was at least that old because that's when my grandfather died, so likely much older. It was stored in the house, no special way, in a sack that had holes in it by my mom. She gave it to me and I fired it all off. It was 100 reliable and hit what I aimed at. If you buy ammo, get it with sealed primers and store it properly, you'll have reliable ammo when you need it no matter how long that is. I keep mine in military ammo cans that have good seals, stacked in one of those cheap stack-on locking "safes", and run a dehumidifier nearby. Worth considering how to take good care of your ammo.

Thanks again Para.

Posts: 1950 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
^^^^^
Me, too. Maybe it's a good thing ammo is getting harder to find, at lease in a perverse sense.

I wanted to get more Federal 9BPLE 9mm +P+ but I didn't act quickly enough and missed out, so I had an excuse to take a break (of course, after I bought some Federal 9mm +P instead).

9BPLE +p+ was my dept's duty round for ages.. back in the old Sig days. Since then we've moved to G17.5. Still a great round, and have stacks of boxes. We've moved to HSTs now, but still a dependable round no less.

Back to thread, picked up some more ball ammo, looks like my Christmas gift will be ammo this year.

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2718 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
What's the collective opinion on PMC X-Tac 5.56mm 55gr ball? Seems to be the predominate option on Ammoseek, but I've never shot any of it. Is it decent practice ammo?

Posts: 7442 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the assurances on the ammo, SIG226. I have some already, but need more, and I'm still looking.

I'm actually getting it to use in a G17.5, actually the new variant, a G47MOS.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9386 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Failing to prepare is
preparing to fail.
Picture of SigLaw
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
What's the collective opinion on PMC X-Tac 5.56mm 55gr ball? Seems to be the predominate option on Ammoseek, but I've never shot any of it. Is it decent practice ammo?

I have never had an issue in 500-1000 rounds I have shoot with it.

Posts: 1380 | Location: Gilbert, AZ | Registered: November 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:

xtac 193 and xtac 855 is good to go. Consistently tracks with Lake City, Igman and other nato ammo providers.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4896 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
Xtac shoots fine. I've shot several cases of it with no issue at all.

Posts: 1235 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
OK, thanks to both of you.

Posts: 7442 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
Not enough, especially in rifle. But the Army moves me too frequently for me to stock what I want.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5543 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
Thanks for the assurances on the ammo, SIG226. I have some already, but need more, and I'm still looking.

I'm actually getting it to use in a G17.5, actually the new variant, a G47MOS.

Quick search on ammoseek found a single vendor with some:

Link

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2718 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
Thanks, I just found that one today as well. I'll check my bank balance tomorrow. Eek

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you value your life and the lives of your family, you should be stocking up on rifle and pistol ammunition, and shotgun ammo, too.

I value my life and the lives of my family.
Soooo.... now that my children are young adults, living on their own, part of their Christmas gifts included ammo.

The biggest joy of enjoying hunting and the shooting sports is passing them on to the next generation.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24683 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Hopefully, most of us heeded parabellum's admonition 8 weeks ago.

"20 States Lobby Biden Admin To Stop Civilian Sales of Lake City 5.56×45 Ammo"

https://www.thetruthaboutguns....e-city-5-56x45-ammo/

"She’s (Letitia James) partnered with 19 other state attorneys general to prod the Biden Administration to shut down civilian sales of excess Lake City 5.56×45 ammunition. While that might not sound like a big deal, that ammo represents 30% of civilian sales of that flavor of AR-food.

Posts: 16233 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:

"Joining [New York] Attorney General James in sending the letter to the White House are the attorneys general of Arizona, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawai‘i, Illinois, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont, Washington, and the District of Columbia."

Most of those states are the usual suspects, but I'm surprised to see Arizona and Nevada on the list.

Posts: 33151 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Hopefully, most of us heeded parabellum's admonition 8 weeks ago.

"She’s (Letitia James) partnered with 19 other state attorneys general to prod the Biden Administration to shut down civilian sales of excess Lake City 5.56×45 ammunition. While that might not sound like a big deal, that ammo represents 30% of civilian sales of that flavor of AR-food.

From the article:

quote:
“Military-grade weapons and ammunition do not belong in our homes or in our communities,” said Attorney General James. “Ammunition made at Lake City has been used to kill American civilians in devastating recent mass shootings, including the Tops Supermarket massacre in Buffalo. The continued sale of this ammunition on the private market puts everyone at risk. I’m proud to join with my fellow attorneys general to raise this important issue and help ensure that weapons of war don’t make their way onto our streets.”

Boy howdy. That's a whole lot of dumb right there.

But, just to be on the safe side, I ordered another 1000.

Posts: 20665 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post