SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Forum member dave7378 has been arrested in the Turks and Caicos islands. **All members, please read this**
Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 34

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Forum member dave7378 has been arrested in the Turks and Caicos islands. **All members, please read this** Login/Join 
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by photohause:
If a Go Fund ME is set up, I'll participate.
Dave, lots of guys here on your side.
I believe the "SF endorsed" site is give-send-go...

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6363 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Report This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
Anxiously awaiting the results of the court date next week. ORC is absolutely correct in highly filtering our thoughts and posts here and any other internet forum/communications with Dave.

Once you're home safe, the case closed, and all your property home safe....and then maybe even longer still, perhaps we can comment what we all wish we could. Right now nearly nothing is more important than your safety and resolution of this case.

We're pulling for you. We want this over for you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13984 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Report This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
We want this over for you.

Yes! Simply and accurately said, we want this over for you!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39222 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Wishing you the best on the upcoming hearing. I had to deal with a legal issue when I first moved to Puerto Rico. Even though the police had no proof of any wrongdoing and straight up lied to hit me with an additional, more serious charge that involved jail time, it worked out for me in the end and it sounds like you're going down a similar path.

In my limited experience having a legal issue outside of the USA, the police/judges loved holding a foreigner (especially this white American who is not fluent in the native tongue) accountable to the fullest extent of their laws and that I am not above it. For me, there was definitely a racial component and I got railroaded along the way by the arresting officers and judges who disregarded the proper legal procedures so I couldn't dismiss the case despite having the facts and evidence (or lack thereof) strongly in my favor. It ended up taking me over a year to resolve it and in the end my attorney made enough of an argument and work for the prosecutors to accept a plea deal where the more serious charge (that the arresting officers lied about) was dropped and I plead guilty to a misdemeanor that will be expunged from my record 6 months after I took the deal.

The only advice I can suggest is to get a second opinion about your legal course of action from another attorney, if allowable. For my case I went with a highly recommended local attorney who knew the judges and prosecutors where my case was being held. Probably 8+ months of extensions/delays was due to my original attorney playing too nice with the prosecutors, conceding to every motion by the prosecution to extend due to whatever bullshit reason they had. Perhaps he didn't want to create any bad blood because he had to see them every day. Maybe he did it to continue charging me for every court appearance as it didn't matter if he was representing me for 30 minutes or 3 hours. If I stayed with him one thing was certain: I would have paid a lot more money to get the same result. In Puerto Rico it's not allowable for me to solicit another attorney while I had one representing me so I had to take the risk of dismissing my first attorney in open court with the hope I would get a better lawyer to replace him. For me, the gamble paid off. I interviewed probably a dozen attorneys and went with one who was far enough away where he didn't give a FUCK about pissing off the prosecution or judge because he would likely never have to try a case on my side of the island. As soon as I made the switch, he went right for the jugular and the judge had to disregard proper procedure to keep the case alive. If I had "fuck you" money and nothing better to do I could have taken it all the way and would have very likely won. However the system in Puerto Rico allows for the prosecution to appeal "not guilty" verdicts and frankly after spending over a year dealing with it I would rather take a deal, pay a fine and have a clean record in 6 months vs. dragging it out.

For you, pleading guilty then throwing yourself at the mercy of the court for sentencing when the prosecutor has already shown how obtuse he/she is might lead to an undesirable result that could lead to a longer, more expensive legal battle. In a perfect world we are supposed to be able to trust our attorney and take comfort in the fact that they have our best interests at heart. That's hard to find in America and in foreign countries the odds are even lower. Foreign lawyers love Americans in our situation because they'll make more from us on 1 case then they will make doing 10 for the locals. While I understand where your lawyer is coming from if it were me I'd get a second opinion. Once you plead guilty you can't unring that bell and it sounds to me like you lose a lot of leverage. I'm assuming you and your lawyer have taken that into account when you decided on this course of action however I think it would benefit you to have another attorney concur with that strategy.

Posts: 843 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: October 11, 2020Report This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
thoughts and prayers are with you Dave. May God himself hear your prayers and deliver his hammer, and get you back home. In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12929 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thoughts, Prayers and fingers crossed. I'm hoping you get home safely and soon.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13489 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I have no doubt Dave will be home shortly after the 10th, but that's easy for me to say. Naturally, he's playing the "what if" game all the time right now. Each of us would be doing the same.

I've told Dave before and I'll tell him again that he is handling this well; much better than I would.

If I didn't believe that this will end favorably for him, I would not say it, and I am saying it.

We'll have an online party for the man the day his feet touch American soil, and that will be soon.

Posts: 109043 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
Prayers for a safe return home, Dave.

Posts: 2837 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Report This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I am praying for you Dave. You have a lot of friends on the forum sending positive thoughts your way. To be punished so severely for a truly honest mistake is unfair. Your positive attitude and strength during this terrible ordeal is truly inspiring.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21220 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Report This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. All of you that have posted. ORC and AKS, so right. There are things I just won't post. 6guns, one of my oldest buds on this site (Red Sox still suck Wink . Para, this place you have built has truly helped me keep my head on straight. It truly is amazing and you'd think I couldn't become more fond after all of these years. Thank you for the prayer Pre. I know he is listening.

I am actually having dinner tonight with three of the police officers that were in charge of my detention. Three that made a huge difference to not only my stay but my release on bail. They were so kind to me, and they didn't have to be. Just good people. I have more to tell but I am going to wait until I get home. Keep up the prayers friends.

Nothing really new to add. My brother is coming down for the weekend and then my best friend, the guy who put up my $40k in bail money when my brothers wire got screwed up( Chase Bank screwed up) , is coming down for decision day, May 10th. He wants to be here for her decision and then fly home with us, I want him here so God forbid this doesn't go how I anticipate that there is someone to get my wife back home (but I've kept that thought to myself, until just now).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5935 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Report This Post
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hildur:
Wishing you the best on the upcoming hearing. I had to deal with a legal issue when I first moved to Puerto Rico. Even though the police had no proof of any wrongdoing and straight up lied to hit me with an additional, more serious charge that involved jail time, it worked out for me in the end and it sounds like you're going down a similar path.

In my limited experience having a legal issue outside of the USA, the police/judges loved holding a foreigner (especially this white American who is not fluent in the native tongue) accountable to the fullest extent of their laws and that I am not above it. For me, there was definitely a racial component and I got railroaded along the way by the arresting officers and judges who disregarded the proper legal procedures so I couldn't dismiss the case despite having the facts and evidence (or lack thereof) strongly in my favor. It ended up taking me over a year to resolve it and in the end my attorney made enough of an argument and work for the prosecutors to accept a plea deal where the more serious charge (that the arresting officers lied about) was dropped and I plead guilty to a misdemeanor that will be expunged from my record 6 months after I took the deal.

The only advice I can suggest is to get a second opinion about your legal course of action from another attorney, if allowable. For my case I went with a highly recommended local attorney who knew the judges and prosecutors where my case was being held. Probably 8+ months of extensions/delays was due to my original attorney playing too nice with the prosecutors, conceding to every motion by the prosecution to extend due to whatever bullshit reason they had. Perhaps he didn't want to create any bad blood because he had to see them every day. Maybe he did it to continue charging me for every court appearance as it didn't matter if he was representing me for 30 minutes or 3 hours. If I stayed with him one thing was certain: I would have paid a lot more money to get the same result. In Puerto Rico it's not allowable for me to solicit another attorney while I had one representing me so I had to take the risk of dismissing my first attorney in open court with the hope I would get a better lawyer to replace him. For me, the gamble paid off. I interviewed probably a dozen attorneys and went with one who was far enough away where he didn't give a FUCK about pissing off the prosecution or judge because he would likely never have to try a case on my side of the island. As soon as I made the switch, he went right for the jugular and the judge had to disregard proper procedure to keep the case alive. If I had "fuck you" money and nothing better to do I could have taken it all the way and would have very likely won. However the system in Puerto Rico allows for the prosecution to appeal "not guilty" verdicts and frankly after spending over a year dealing with it I would rather take a deal, pay a fine and have a clean record in 6 months vs. dragging it out.

For you, pleading guilty then throwing yourself at the mercy of the court for sentencing when the prosecutor has already shown how obtuse he/she is might lead to an undesirable result that could lead to a longer, more expensive legal battle. In a perfect world we are supposed to be able to trust our attorney and take comfort in the fact that they have our best interests at heart. That's hard to find in America and in foreign countries the odds are even lower. Foreign lawyers love Americans in our situation because they'll make more from us on 1 case then they will make doing 10 for the locals. While I understand where your lawyer is coming from if it were me I'd get a second opinion. Once you plead guilty you can't unring that bell and it sounds to me like you lose a lot of leverage. I'm assuming you and your lawyer have taken that into account when you decided on this course of action however I think it would benefit you to have another attorney concur with that strategy.

Thank you for this post. Yes I have consulted others as I am afraid of pulling down my pants and hoping not get get poked. Exceptional circumstances is the best approach but I can't argue that without pleading guilty. My attorney, a very accomplished guy down here who rarely loses, told me if I plead not guilty and go to trial that I will certainly lose and get 12 years. Not an option. I'm comfortable with this decision as I don't really have a lot of options. I trust my lawyer. His name is Oliver Smith or anyone that might want to look him up.

As for Puerto Rico, I think that if and when I'm comfortable with traveling again, I will come there. Been there about a dozen times. I am half Irish and half Puerto Rican and still have family that lives there (Quebradillas). My daughter is in San Juan with friends right now. When I come maybe I'll look you up Wink Thanks for the thoughtful post.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5935 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Report This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
Dave, in regards to CHASE banking screwing up the wire...

When Chase heard my mom died, they immediately froze her retirement account and SS payment. As the trustee of her estate, I had to jump thru dozens of shit hoops to get the $$ put back into her account. Each time I submitted the form, it was rejected. But, they never tell you it was rejected or WHY. One rejection was because I forgot to put "the" in front of the 'revocable trust name'.

Every tiny thing they could think of to delay the money being put back they did. I suspect it is their way of making money off the interest they can accumulate in some way. Can you imagine how many millions they can make by doing this to their customers?

So, my wife has given them the name of the "Satan Bank". Just from my experience I would encourage anyone who can to switch banks. While they may be good to you when you're alive, they cause Satanic fails when it comes to your heirs handling your estate.

Good luck and post some pics when you can.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1436 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hopeful that this incident will also end on a positive note.

TAOFLEDERMAUS
Gregg's accidental entry into TURKEY and "detainment". True story!

posted Hide Post
Wishing the best outcome Dave. Looking forward to this thread continuing stateside.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Report This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I have (reluctantly I suppose) come to embrace the true power of positivity. Not some pithy BS meme like mentality but truly embracing only positivity during the most dark chapters of one’s life.

There is a lot of power in our thoughts and perception of possibilities. As someone much smarter than myself once so eloquently put it “the quality of our lives depends on the quality of our thoughts”.

Dave I am not in any way equating you or your situation to a rat drowning but rather highlighting a very interesting psychological study done on rats and the power of positive thinking or hope on one’s situation. The power of positive thought proven scientifically

I am eagerly awaiting reading of your arrival back home. Sending lots of positivity and prayers your way.

I also hope this forum has an opportunity soon to show you how serious we are when we say we want to help our friend out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21220 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Report This Post
Sigs are
my Panacea...
Picture of billpocz
posted Hide Post
Dave,

Good Saturday night!

Just wanted to send you some good thoughts, and remind you that you are not forgotten here!

Keep strong brother!

Bill

--- Sig 365, 365XL, 245, P6

Posts: 2011 | Location: Rural Northeastern KY | Registered: May 07, 2009Report This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
All the best to you Dave, hope things work in your favor.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38201 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dave7378:

Yes I have consulted others as I am afraid of pulling down my pants and hoping not get get poked. Exceptional circumstances is the best approach but I can't argue that without pleading guilty. My attorney, a very accomplished guy down here who rarely loses, told me if I plead not guilty and go to trial that I will certainly lose and get 12 years. Not an option. I'm comfortable with this decision as I don't really have a lot of options. I trust my lawyer. His name is Oliver Smith or anyone that might want to look him up.

As for Puerto Rico, I think that if and when I'm comfortable with traveling again, I will come there. Been there about a dozen times. I am half Irish and half Puerto Rican and still have family that lives there (Quebradillas). My daughter is in San Juan with friends right now. When I come maybe I'll look you up Wink Thanks for the thoughtful post.

You're welcome. Another piece of advice that I wished I shared with you sooner is not to worry and stress out over it. Much easier said than done, I know first hand because I couldn't do it but wish I had. From what Para and your posts have said it sounds like you might already be there. However, as someone who has been in a similar situation I had to show strength and act like nothing was wrong to my family and friends when deep down inside I spent over a year stressing over the possibility of going to jail for something I didn't do. At the end of the day take solace in the fact that you made an honest mistake that didn't cause anyone any damage or harm. In many of these types of cases it can be resolved if you throw enough money at it. I don't think it will come to that and am wishing for the best possible outcome for you and your family.

Posts: 843 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: October 11, 2020Report This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Brother Dave, I hope you’re well. We’re thinking of you.

Posts: 45537 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Report This Post
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
Brother Dave, I hope you’re well. We’re thinking of you.

Hey buddy, I appreciate it. Remind me, what year did we meet in NY? Seems like forever ago.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ