SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Forum member dave7378 has been arrested in the Turks and Caicos islands. **All members, please read this**
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 34

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Forum member dave7378 has been arrested in the Turks and Caicos islands. **All members, please read this** Login/Join 
As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
The T&C are an absolutely beautiful set of islands with very kind citizens (for the most part). Many of them are descendants of slaves from NC whose masters let them stay there after their attempts to grow crops their failed. About 13 years ago we were going down there every few months and we’re seriously considering buying a second home there. Then I started getting pulled out of the Security line at the airport for secondary screening. Once? OK but 3 times in a row where I had to completely remove all of my belongings from each of our bags? It left a bad taste in my mouth and we have not been back since..

Dave I am with the rest of the SF hive and stand ready to support you in any way possible.. Best of luck!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6462 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Report This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dave7378:
Not a lot to add today. Meeting with my attorney at 3:30. He cited that case in my bail hearing along with a few other relevant ones. I'm just unsure of how precedent works down here.

If you read the sentencing note in the earlier case I linked to upthread, the decision itself cites three other cases as precedent; including that of a Bulgarian truck driver found with an illegal weapon in the UK, but merely given a suspended sentence because it was legal to own back in Bulgaria, he was in the UK for a legitimate purpose, and not aware of the local law. The TCI court specifically held that a suspended sentence was obviously considered a sufficient deterrence against a repeat by someone likely to return to the UK regularly as part of his job, and such deterrence wasn't even necessary in the present case of someone unlikely to come back to the TCI. So not only are they using local precedent, but from English Common Law which their system is based on in general. The boat case should therefore go a long way in avoiding the mandatory prison term.

Posts: 2452 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Report This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I have no suggestions, but I do hope this can be worked out in a favorable manner for Dave.

Posts: 27159 | Location: Murphyville Tx | Registered: January 30, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
All I can do is pray God give you favor in this situation and that you are freed you get to go home soon. In Jesus's name. AMEN !!! God Bless Smile

quote:
Thank you for the replies and prayers. I am out on bail currently staying at a resort, for two more days, and then moving to a longer term location until the case is resolved. I have retained a lawyer who I was told, by multiple people, is the best on the island. My mistake entirely. Problem is I never use my travel backpack to go to the range, ever. I have separate bags for that very reason, chain of custody. I cannot remember ever throwing these rounds in this bag. I sat up every night of the 6 nights in jail trying to recall how this happened. You can bet I will never let this happen again. As to the random number 44, when I go to the range I take out JHP and replace with FMJ. I almost always take 4 guns, 10 in the mag (NYS limit) and one in the chamber. 4 guns, eleven bullets each. We are working hard to find a solution to this. I reached out to Para because I thought that by some slim chance someone on the forum would have experience with this or know someone but mainly as a cautionary tale. Know what you are carrying. I will try to keep you updated. Thank you for the kind thoughts and thanks Para for putting this up for me.

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3091 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Report This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
Just switched resorts for the 3rd time. Piece mealing rooms for the duration of my stay. Easter is very busy down here and I am taking rooms where I can find them. Had a promising meeting with my attorney yesterday. Very confident in no jail time but no guarantees. I did ask him how many Americans have been convicted of this and his answer was zero. Sure hope I'm not the first, but I am starting to at least feel like there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I am seeing a lot of familiar faces. Resort employees. All asking me why I am still down here. Just telling them, I love it here.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5935 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Report This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
^^^sounds promising. Continuing good thoughts your way.

Posts: 3813 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Report This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Good news, Dave! Stay positive and we'll stay positive with you!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39218 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Report This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Dave, thanks for the update. I am very sorry this happened to you, it’s an easy mistake that could have happened to any of us. I’m thinking about you and I have been praying for a positive outcome. I wish there was more I could do to help.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21220 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Report This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update, Dave. Sounds promising. We're all pullin' for ya Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
I know times are uncertain, but keep the faith, keep your chin up and know that we are praying for you.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7271 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Report This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am seeing a lot of familiar faces. Resort employees. All asking me why I am still down here. Just telling them, I love it here.

Smart. Very smart!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16509 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Report This Post
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted Hide Post
I just saw this thread, is Dave still in T&C?

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6061 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Report This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
Good luck Dave,and Happy that it is looking promising.
I see the biggest problem is the very anti UK. I'm sure there are people there that think bullets are going to kill someone. I have seen so much anti American posts , mainly due to our media. I also can't imagine much help from the current administration.

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9086 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by davetruong:
Yes, he's still there, awaiting trial.

I haven't spoken to Dave since the day I made this announcement, but I think that now the initial excitement has passed and he's not dealing with sitting in a jail cell, he's probably getting into a period of boredom with the waiting game, and we could do him some good by just posting. Anything- funny stories or stories about when you got into a legal bind (with a focus on positive outcomes), words of support, anything at all. Tell him a joke. Post a pic of your pets or something which shows the best things about the United States.

It sounds like he's going to be OK and will be returning to the US before to long, but, right now, it's the doldrums. We might be able to alleviate this, just a bit.

Posts: 109014 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I had a over the shoulder sling bag, it had a 'carry' pocket. And I often would carry in the sling bag. A few times I had to go through a soft check point, and they would ask me to open the bag. I would flip the lid over to the back, which concealed the carry pouch/zipper, and they never once checked it.

I was in DC, and I left my carry in the car in Arlington and we rode the metro in. I was going through a checkpoint and he checked my bag like the others. He then flipped the lid back and unzipped the carry pouch. It happened so fast, I panicked and nearly shat myself.
"whew, I am glad I left it home" and then he smiled and said,

"Me Too"

So this was my first #MeToo moment.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3656 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Report This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
A funny story for Dave to give him a chuckle.

Many years ago I was sitting in the Doctors office waiting for my name to be called for my Vasectomy. With me were maybe a dozen other guys, some with their other half, all waiting for that dreaded procedure. ALL the men, me included, were holding magazines up to their faces, literally hiding our faces behind the magazines. I'm sure we were all pretending to read but I was just looking at the page and mortified of that painful dreaded procedure that awaited. An injection down there? No way. That has got to hurt like hell. (it did) So, while were pretending to read out comes a lets say 'challenged' guy who just had his procedure.

We all knew he came out of "that" door we were destined for. I could hear him walk up to the window and the receptionist asked him if he needed anything. He replied he would like some of the Glow in the Dark condoms, "like the ones they had in that movie"

The WHOLE room of guys hiding behind our magazines, me included, all started to chuckle and giggle at a very low volume. I looked up over my magazine and I could see just about all the other guys doing the same and all had smiles on our faces. What a tension breaker!

He was apparently referring to the recently released Woody Allen movie were the glow in the dark condom was running around the darkened room. (I never saw that movie, just heard of it)

The receptionist told him they had no glow in the darks but gave him some "regular" ones.

And then my name was called....

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1434 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Report This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
My thoughts are with you Dave, I am glad to hear that things are looking positive. If you ever make it through Indiana please let me know in advance and a good steak dinner is on me.

I could see myself winding up in a similar scenario, ammo winds up in strange places. My truck alone would land me in hot water in many places in the US, just from dribs and drabs of ammo and magazines left over from completely lawful and innocent range trips and matches.

Godspeed.

Posts: 14154 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Report This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Glad things are looking up. Sorry such a simple oversight has caused you so much grief.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10985 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Report This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by davetruong:

Yeah buddy, I'm still here. My wife is with me and we are trying to make the best of a bad situation. I feel pretty bad for her. I can see the fear in her eyes sometimes. I feel terrible that I allowed this to happen and that I put my family in this position. My attorney feels confident that the powers that be will see this for what it was, an egregious mistake born out carelessness with no criminal intent. The place I am staying and the people here are lovely but Para is correct, doldrums setting in. Just too much time to think. I just want to go home.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5935 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Report This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Well for God’s sake don’t go to a cricket match! You and your wife are in the doldrums now; time would virtually stand still Wink

Posts: 13558 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Report This Post