SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Southwest Airlines to allow miniature horses as service animals in new policy
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Southwest Airlines to allow miniature horses as service animals in new policy Login/Join 
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
I'll support this fashion for look-at-me support animals when they successfully train a cat to, uh, do anything on command, really....

Posts: 11327 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:

You will bail for the emotional animal, stay aboard for the service animal. Very clear.

The problem is that the horse is a service animal.

You said you'd stay aboard. Gonna do it for the horse?
For somebody who wrote "Like I said, I don't really care if they bring their animal, or don't. It makes no difference to me," you sure are spending a lot of time beating a dead horse. Razz

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not at all; only responding to you, as you addressed me. It would be impolite not to.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post

Big Grin

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

You will bail for the emotional animal, stay aboard for the service animal. Very clear.

It seems to me that you're being intellectually dishonest in this ridiculous tact in your argument. For chrissakes, it's a freakin' horse, man, "service animal" designation or not.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

It seems to me that you're being intellectually dishonest in this ridiculous tact in your argument. For chrissakes, it's a freakin' horse, man, "service animal" designation or not.
Yup as you noted, it's a horse.

If a person does any amount of flying at all and has not yet been in turbulence, it's just a matter of time before that encounter.

I have no idea what that horse weighs, but I shudder at the thought of an unsecured, probable very frightened, animal flailing around the cabin in turbulence. I have had some inert objects in my airplane bouncing around in rough air, it did not take me more than once to learn that verifying everything secured is an essential part of my pre-engine start checklist.

Turbulence is not predictable (well, some is, but certainly not all). It can occur at any time, from many different causes. Nope, I definitely do not want to be in a cabin with a horse. Nor even a nice domesticated pet pig. Emotional support, service, it doesn't make any difference, I do not want to pay good $$ to share my space with one of these.

I can justify the need for seeing eye dogs and similar, much more easily than horses. If you really, really, need your horse in order to go out in public, you might want to consider a mode of transportation other than airline.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

Dishonest? No, facts.

I didn't designate the horse. I don't care if it's aboard. I stated no preference. There's no deception. The statement was made that the designation of the animal makes all the difference, and that designation as a service animal makes it acceptable, whereas designation as an "emotional support animal" does not.

Fair enough.

The horse is designated as a service animal. It's recognized as such under the ADA, and by the airline in question. No deception. No dishonesty. The simply truth.

The question is again applied: if one's metric is designation as a service animal vs. "emotional support animal," and the horse has met this standard as a support animal, given the assertion that one WILL remain aboard with the animal IF it is designated as a service animal, but WILL disembark if it is designated as an "emotional support animal," and given that the horse is designated as a service animal...will one refuse passage?

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
This is all fucking stupid, it's a 135 pound fucking horse. Everyone is understanding and reasonable when it comes to accommodating people with disabilities and have became used to trained service dogs. But no that can't be enough, now a fucking horse, how ridiculous. And people are abusing this whole animal support, just like you see in stores or animals sitting on their laps while they are driving.

You need an emotional support horse to fly, that a pill. You need a horse to tell you to take your medication, program your phone. You need a horse because you are allergic to dogs, what about the other passengers that may be allergic to either or both. People go in the cabin, animals go in the cargo. They'll be there when the plane lands.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is all fucking stupid, it's a 135 pound fucking horse.

Just 135#?!? Where did you get that figure?

Posts: 13264 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The horse posted it on Twitter. You know how they lie.

Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

OK, that’s funny

Posts: 13264 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2012BOSS302:
This is all fucking stupid

Indeed. Asinine.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16704 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

Mares Are the worst. So vain.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:

In this article on flirty posted by snsguppy
https://www.today.com/pets/wom...iature-horse-t161698

And in another one, these mini horse facts, sounds like flirty has some more growing to do. How about a 250 pound support horse. You might as well bring a linebacker with you.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Emotional support chickens can be hazardous to your health.

CDC warns Americans to stop kissing/snuggling with their chickens

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2012BOSS302:
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:

In this article on flirty posted by snsguppy

And in another one, these mini horse facts, sounds like flirty has some more growing to do. How about a 250 pound support horse. You might as well bring a linebacker with you.

Hmm. When I look at the pictures of that horse, I see an animal that weighs a lot more than 135 lbs. You used the information you had and I appreciate you responding to my question. Looking at the picture with the owner. She's seated and the horse's ear tips are right at chin height. That says 3' rather than 2' to me. Then I look at the chest and heart girth of the animal...and compare that to a big dog; I'll bet that horse is closer to 200 lbs. than 135, but that's just me. Thanks

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
This thread had a lot more interest than I’d’ve guessed.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8959 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post