SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Southwest Airlines to allow miniature horses as service animals in new policy
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Southwest Airlines to allow miniature horses as service animals in new policy Login/Join 
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is it just the concept of one classification vs. the other that drives you so strongly?

It's because one "classification" has clearly defined standards, that requires training and a certain expectation of public behavior (ie, the ability to obey commands and not disturb the public at large and to perform a tangible function). The other "classification" requires a few minutes of your time and a few dollars to an internet company to bless of your (insert wild animal here) with no standards, no training, and no expectation of proper behavior in public or with how they are to interact with strangers.

So yea, legit service animals are fine. Emotional support (insert wild animal here) are not fine.

Not in a civilized society anyway.

I am DEATHLY afraid of snakes. I am, I admit it. My heartbeat rises, I sweat, I can almost become paralyzed by fear. Why is someone who claims to need an "emotional support snake" more important than me? Why should they be allowed to board a plane with a snake, even though this snake may upset other passengers? Is there a training course for emotional support snakes? Do they and their owners take a test? Does the federal government anoint emptional support snakes with the right to travel on public transportation without regard for others? Why does a person with an emotional support snake have more rights than me?

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:

Is it just the concept of one classification vs. the other that drives you so strongly?
There are exceptions to almost any statement that can be made. However, service animals are normally highly trained. Several of my wife's patients have service dogs, and one of her patients trains service dogs. Many of these animals bring fifteen thousand to twenty thousand dollars by the time that they are fully trained. They are disciplined and focused. They do a job. They actually perform a recognized service. I have no problem sharing a space with a professional, whether two legged or four legged.

Emotional support animals on the other hand, are not defined by any set standards. They are whatever the owner identifies them to be. Some of my wife's patients ask, even demand, that she provide documentation attesting to the "need" for these animals, but in the vast majority of cases, the petitioner is a special snowflake who can not bear the thought of traveling without Fluffy, and is too cheap to pay pet transportation charges, and is inconsiderate enough to think that it's perfectly OK to subject other people around her (yes, it's almost always a woman) to being in a confined space with an untrained undisciplined animal.

There is a world of difference between the two. Capisce?
Hmmmm . . . Looks like mbinky posted while I was typing my response. We both said basically the same thing.

Great minds and all that. Smile

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30677 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
And say my glory was
I had such friends.
Picture of Hunthelp
posted Hide Post
A year and a half ago, I purchased a puppy in Texas. I live in Arizona. I flew to Texas, got the dog and flew home.

I flew SW there and back. I had a small under the seat carrier for the the eight week old puppy.

I heard lots of remarks as I went to the back of the plane and put her under the seat in front of me. She slept the entire way to Phoenix.

I heard comments about “people bringing their support dogs on planes”as I walked to the next to the last row of seats on the plane.

Why did I fly with a pup? Most of the AZ Labrador breeders have gone to a multi-level marketing contract where you buy the dog and have to buy dog food from them for multiple years. Stop buying the food, you have to give up the pup by contract.

Dogs, cats, I don’t have an issue. Turkeys, Llamas, Horses, etc, no.

"I don't shoot well, but I shoot often." - Pres. T. Roosevelt

Posts: 1941 | Location: Chandler, AZ | Registered: June 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The classification of the animal as a service animal makes all the difference, then. Got it.

The miniature horse has been classified as a service animal.

https://www.today.com/pets/wom...iature-horse-t161698

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The classification of the animal as a service animal makes all the difference, then. Got it.

The miniature horse has been classified as a service animal.

From your link:

...Hensley — who is allergic to dogs and has post-traumatic stress disorder, according to her Instagram profile — takes Flirty everywhere she goes. The 7-year-old mare reminds Hensley to take her medication and provides support when she becomes overwhelmed...

1. How does a horse remind a person to take meds?

2. "Provides support" sounds more like an emotional support animal, but what do I know...

Posts: 15908 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
So what is Hensley gonna do if it's necessary to egress QUICKLY, DOWN A SLIDE, to exit the aircraft as in during a fire? Just heave Mr. Ed onto her lap in the doorway of the exit right before she jumps on the slide and yells "WIIILLLBERRRRRR? Yeah. Sure. Roll Eyes If I were the passenger(s) stuck in the middle and window seat with her and her friggin' horse, I'd be a little pissed if an emergency arose. As I said...beyond ridiculous.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Gonna saddle up and head out, pilgrim.

Hyahh! Gitup!!

Posts: 107606 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
So what is Hensley gonna do if it's necessary to egress QUICKLY, DOWN A SLIDE, to exit the aircraft as in during a fire? Just heave Mr. Ed in her lap in the doorway of the exit right before she jumps on the slide? Yeah. Sure. Roll Eyes

The heck with her, I'm more concerned about the guy trapped in the window seat next to her and Trigger.

Posts: 15908 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yup...added that in as an afterthought as you were typing your response. Great minds...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Guys, I'm now feeling bad about mocking Abrea. She has PTSD.

Hensley — who is allergic to dogs and has post-traumatic stress disorder, according to her Instagram profile — takes Flirty everywhere she goes.

==========================

More about the lady:

Before working with Flirty, Hensley said she wasn’t able to complete shopping trips and would have a panic attack and either have to abandon her cart or leave without everything that was on her shopping list.

As a working animal, Flirty’s job is to be aware of any medical alerts of her handler, so it is important to limit distractions when the two are together. For that reason, Flirty will block people from getting too close to Hensley by creating a physical barrier.

Complete article:

https://www.omaha.com/livewell...e9-8518e95c37cb.html

Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I guess I'd better start re-watching those old episodes of Rawhide, cause if the plane goes down someone's gonna need to ride that lil' pony down the slide for life.

And "having PTSD" may not be what you think it is. Need more info.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went on Instagram (no sign in required) for the first time tonight. Heeeeeeere's...Abrea!

https://www.instagram.com/dressage_lover_33/

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:

From your link:

...Hensley — who is allergic to dogs and has post-traumatic stress disorder, according to her Instagram profile — takes Flirty everywhere she goes. The 7-year-old mare reminds Hensley to take her medication and provides support when she becomes overwhelmed...

1. How does a horse remind a person to take meds?

2. "Provides support" sounds more like an emotional support animal, but what do I know...

Beats me. I don't have a horse in the hunt. Just passing along the link.

Like I said, I don't really care if they bring their animal, or don't. It makes no difference to me.

posted Hide Post
I wonder how she came by her PTSD? And if she's allergic to dogs (as she said in the article), is the pitbull (in various pictures on her Instagram site) of a dog living with her?

I was suspect of this woman's choice and reasons for having this animal and am now even more so after reading the article and seeing her photo posts.

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
I wonder how she came by her PTSD? And if she's allergic to dogs (as she said in the article), is the pitbull (in various pictures on her Instagram site) of a dog living with her?

I was suspect of this woman's choice and reasons for having this animal and am now even more so after reading the article and seeing her photo posts.
Many people allergic to dogs can have a poodle--their fur is different from that of other species.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

Like I said, I don't really care if they bring their animal, or don't. It makes no difference to me.

Sure, pal. I'm sure you'd be just fine with that animal shitting on the floor in front of the seat directly next to you or taking a bite at your face which has happened to at least one passenger that I've heard of.

I wouldn't disembark a plane simply because an emotional support animal happened to be in the same cabin as me, hut I sure as hell would if that animal were to be sitting next to me or even in the same row as me. That goes triple if I'm with my 3 year old and new born daughter. That's a fact. For chrissakes, these people and their animals. Ridiculous. I see these people every single time I fly now.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

The classification of the animal as a service animal makes all the difference, then?
Reading comprehension problem? Selective cognizance? Both my post and the one immediately preceding it referred to the training required for a service animal, as opposed to the free-for-all, no training required, no certification required, emotional support animal.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30677 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:

Many people allergic to dogs can have a poodle--their fur is different from that of other species.

flashguy

Yes, I understand poodles are hypoallergenic and breeding them with other breeds can create a mixed breed that is also hypoallergenic. But look at the dog (a Pitbull, as mentioned above) in her photos. It is not a poodle or even a Pit-Doodle and, as far as I know, Pitbulls are not hypoallergenic and therefore not good for people who are allergic to dogs.

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
Service animals are great but as far as emotional support ones go, from my experience the main emotional support provided is that bringing the animal with them keeps them from going nuts when they can’t because basically they’re just allergic to the word “No”.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

The classification of the animal as a service animal makes all the difference, then?
Reading comprehension problem? Selective cognizance? Both my post and the one immediately preceding it referred to the training required for a service animal, as opposed to the free-for-all, no training required, no certification required, emotional support animal.

Perfect comprehension, thanks.

You will bail for the emotional animal, stay aboard for the service animal. Very clear.

The problem is that the horse is a service animal.

You said you'd stay aboard. Gonna do it for the horse?