SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Southwest Airlines to allow miniature horses as service animals in new policy
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Southwest Airlines to allow miniature horses as service animals in new policy Login/Join 
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
You might feel differently about animals other than dogs.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
You might feel differently about animals other than dogs.

flashguy

My daughter has enough trouble taking her wheelchair on an airplane, let alone her comfort caribou.

At least it's a step down from her previous comfort friend, a male Manatee called Gerald [she thought it looked a lot like the late President Ford, and I hafta admit, that if you squinted a bit, the likeness was uncanny.]

TTTT, I find all this business with 'comfort pets' disquieting, to say the least.

Though I guess that Long John Silver would have been alright - clearly disabled, and with a 'comfort' parrot.

tac

Posts: 11327 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
quote:
Originally posted by Cliff:
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
It’s all cool until the horse shits all over the plane.

Damn skippy.

I’ve had it happen. Man brings his support cat with him onto plane in a small crate. He slides said cat under the seat in front of me. We take off and as we reach peak altitude (you know as your ears pop) the cat gets skurred and does a straight liquid shit in its’ crate. I immediately yell for the stewardess and hit the button. Everyone looks at me like I’m crazy or a la la la person so they get a bit panicked. Then the absolutely foul odor of cat liquid shit begins to hit each row, one by one, as the smell makes it all the way around the plane. Several people vomit and the yelling, complaining, etc, that I started, has permeated the cabin like the cat diarrhea smell. The stupid, girly like man seated in the seat in front of me gets a stern chewing by the stewardess “Sir you need to do something, NOW!” At which he replies “But but, I don’t know what to do here.” She replies “SIR, TAKE IT TO THE BATHROOM AND DO SOMETHING!!!” I mean she had to scream at the guy, literally to get his punk ass to do anything but sit there. Finally, he takes his nasty crate back there for 30 minutes, I’m sure feverishly cleaning the crate and cat. Most awful flight I have ever beeen on and a 100% true story that happened to me. I didn’t read about it or hear it from someone else. Guy behind me after says to me “Man I thought you were crazy at the beginning there, but once it hit my row, G DAMN!”

So get ready for your next flight, be prepared. I’d recommend a surgical mask. You can purchase them from your local Walgreens, pharmacy, or Home Depot. I keep one in my carry on luggage, I shit you not.

You are making this all about you and the other 98% of the people on the plane, how inconsiderate. Think about that poor pussy that couldn't possibly board an airplane without his kitty. Think about how good he felt locking a cat in a small cage and shoving it under someone's seat. Think about the joy of torturing a poor cat - he got to expose it to hoards of people in the airport, being stuffed in a small box, loud noises, acceleration/deceleration, turbulence. Some people really get relaxed by torturing their cats and their fellow flyers. Who are you to say he should be denied this inalienable right?

Fuck animals on planes, anyone who does this shit to their animals or the people forced to be in the same flying can as them can FOAD.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Well, it wasn’t Southwest, it was American Airlines that let this idiot board their plane. I have written both my senators and my Congresswoman about the necessity of revisiting the Americans with Disabilities Act. It was irresponsible to have passed the law in the first place, without chalk lines, leaving the boundaries of the law to be determined by attorneys and courts. This well-intentioned, but broken law needs to be fixed. BTW, I am not optimistic that Congress will ever take on ADA, it would be difficult, and Congress doesn’t do difficult.

[

Posts: 13264 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I spend an inordinate amount of time riding around in airplanes. Sometimes in front driving, sometimes in back. I couldn't care less if someone brings their animal, nor could I care what kind of animal it is. It's just not that big a deal.

Over the years, I've transported or carried everything from large quantities of birds to race horses to an airplane full of cattle. We've hauled a load of lions, and a killer whale. As well as dogs, cats, snakes, and german shepherds that took off, but didn't land...they went out the door in flight, tandem. A bit of everything.

My one question would be what is securing the horse when everyone else is bracing for impact? Emergency landing, runway overrun, ditching or forced landing...or severe turbulence. What's keeping that horse from flying around the cabin? A 200 lb pony traveling at x knots while things are tossed around the cabin is also a missile. My last deadhead leg was 11 hours and most of it with the seatbelt sign on...where does my friend flicka get buckled in?

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Airlines are becoming jeepneys

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16704 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
Airlines are becoming jeepneys

Yes, and no.

They won't let us hang fringe on the windows or fuzzy dice on the wet compass.

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
It’s all cool until the horse shits all over the plane.

LMMFAO!!!!!!

I traveled on a flight from DFW to SeaTac where the man in front of me had a support animal cat. He had a small crate, and the cat was in the crate under the seat in front of him. As we climbed, don't remember the feet, but we were close to cruise, you know where your ears start popping. Cat got scared, and it shitted, runny shit, and my God alive, the foul stench went row by row. One of the nastiest smells in my entire life. The little frail bitch of a man said "I don't know what to do" and acted like la la la was happening on the plane. Finally after everyone started bitching (I was the first bitching loud about it) the stewardess comes by and forcefully demands he do something about it. "I don't know what to do" he said for the third time. Lady was like SIR, TAKE THE ANIMAL AND CAGE TO THE BATHROOM AND DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT! I mean she was damn near bitching the guy out.

This shit is off the chain. I've taken working k9's on a flight with me, in the got damn luggage compartment. Put your animal there dipshit and get yourself a blankie, you'll make it through the flight buttercup. Obviously the blind, ex-soliders with PTSD, well there are obvious exceptions. The damn animal needs to be a certified service animal, not your emotional puppet.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12640 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Missed this when it was first posted. So, what is the procedure when someone on the flight is allergic to said service animal? My middle son is highly allergic to horses. They were the highest allergen when we had skin testing done. Horses, ponies, donkeys all cause issues. This is getting beyond ridiculous.

Posts: 2157 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:...
[

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43886 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
or severe turbulence. What's keeping that horse from flying around the cabin? A 200 lb pony traveling at x knots while things are tossed around the cabin is also a missile.

Exactly. We just recently had a thread about people who don’t keep their seatbelts fastened, and not that I care about them, I don’t want a 150 to 350-pound dead weight bouncing off the overhead and into my lap.

I am pretty conservative when it comes to blaming and suing others for bad things that happen, but if I was squashed by an animal like that, an attorney would definitely be talking to the airline.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Mr. Sigmonkey...I see what you did there...

As to the subject at hand, the airlines really need to nip this in the bud. I doesn't affect me, as I'm up front, but I just don't want the in-flight cabin crew to have to deal with this crap...literally and figuratively. If you can't fly without your widdle puffy wuffy, then take the damned train.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There was a case some years ago of a Qantas cabin crew that spilled coffee in the galley in a 747. Beneath that area was located the "E&E" bay, where many of the major electrical components in the aircraft were located. The entire aircraft went dark, when shorted. Somewhat of a long shot; it's the only time I'm aware of that this has occurred...but it does beg the question about a pony letting loose.

On the other hand, I've had seventy head of cattle (or more) on board all returning their borrowed food and fluid, and managed to make it half way around the world a few dozen times.

Oxygen masks are unpleasant to wear, but by comparison to sucking cow odor for 30 hours, it's a delight. Too bad it's in such short supply on board (oxygen, not the cow)...

Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
First thing I'd do if I was in the middle seat is aim the backside to towards her.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Say, has anyone seen my Comfort Tarantula Willis? He was right here next to my Comfort Rattlesnake Jim-Bob when we took off.....

Posts: 15031 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
It is kind of cute though.

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7632 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
I spend an inordinate amount of time riding around in airplanes. Sometimes in front driving, sometimes in back. I couldn't care less if someone brings their animal, nor could I care what kind of animal it is. It's just not that big a deal.

Over the years, I've transported or carried everything from large quantities of birds to race horses to an airplane full of cattle. We've hauled a load of lions, and a killer whale. As well as dogs, cats, snakes, and german shepherds that took off, but didn't land...they went out the door in flight, tandem. A bit of everything.

My one question would be what is securing the horse when everyone else is bracing for impact? Emergency landing, runway overrun, ditching or forced landing...or severe turbulence. What's keeping that horse from flying around the cabin? A 200 lb pony traveling at x knots while things are tossed around the cabin is also a missile. My last deadhead leg was 11 hours and most of it with the seatbelt sign on...where does my friend flicka get buckled in?

This was my point back on page 1 of this thread, it's absurd. If it doesn't fit under your seat, in the overhead or in a seatbelt it shouldn't be inside the cabin.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
Say, has anyone seen my Comfort Tarantula Willis? He was right here next to my Comfort Rattlesnake Jim-Bob when we took off.....
Jim-Bob ate Willis...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Almost 40 years ago while living in Mexico I occasionally rode buses. On these buses were people who were transporting livestock. There were chickens, goats, sheep, ducks etc. I remember the sharp contrast between the culture of the USA and that of Mexico. That was my first experience in a truly 3rd world cesspool. I was grateful to get back to a 1st world lifestyle. Now we are in such decline culturally there is little distinguishing us from developing nation status.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29703 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:

This was my point back on page 1 of this thread, it's absurd. If it doesn't fit under your seat, in the overhead or in a seatbelt it shouldn't be inside the cabin.

Clearly you've not seen some of the old America West flight attendants...