SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P320 Drop Safety in Question (Formerly DPD Recall thread)
Page 1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 ... 89
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P320 Drop Safety in Question (Formerly DPD Recall thread) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drabfour:

This. And I really like the gun but undecided what I want to do with it when it returns from the upgraded. Keep it or get rid of it for something else.

If you still like the gun after it's upgraded, keep it. But do tell us what you decide, one way or the other, and why.

Posts: 872 | Registered: October 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder if its going to be 4 to 6 weeks before updated Sig P320's start hitting the dealers?

Posts: 267 | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Silly question I have not yet seen addressed that I can recall, although it has been many pages. Some 320's have safeties, I believe. Can a safety be installed and preserve the trigger, and would it render the weapon drop safe?

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They did it for the military version.

I would have no use for the P320 if it came with an external manually operated safety.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have no use for a non drop safe gun. So?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was in the LGS the other day and looked at a black P320 carry with the mil style manual safety, and also at a P320 X5.

Is it safe to say that any P320 with the mil manual safety does not need any upgrades, and also the same about the X5 since it already has a lightened aluminum trigger?

Posts: 4714 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would think a manual safety P320 would only be drop safe if you dropped it with the safety on. If you accidentally dropped it with the safety off it would still go off. Regardless, anytime most people will drop a P320 will be accidentally.....except in the testing videos lol. Newtons law says if it has a manual safety odds are you would drop it when its off. Just my feelings

Posts: 267 | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two P320 Compacts both with the manual safety.
I talked to Sig today and they told me it would be sometime in Oct before they start the Voluntary Upgrade on civilian pistols.
Even though they have the manual safety they still fall under the upgrade.

Posts: 397 | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I have no use for a non drop safe gun. So?

That's nice.

I'd like a drop-safe firearm, too. However, if the P320 can't be made drop-safe without the need for an external dedicated safety, then there are plenty of other firearms out there that I already own, or can buy, and the P320 will no longer interest me.

That's so.

posted Hide Post
Conversation yesterday 8/20/17.
A P320 owner is terrified of the thing.
I am awaiting our next contact.
I may well get a free gun.
If he does not conclude that the "upgrade" is just hype and takes a sledge hammer to it to get a dangerous product "off the street."

Posts: 3287 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
I was in the LGS the other day and looked at a black P320 carry with the mil style manual safety, and also at a P320 X5.

Is it safe to say that any P320 with the mil manual safety does not need any upgrades, and also the same about the X5 since it already has a lightened aluminum trigger?

I wouldn't say "safe"...for one, the upgraded MHS pistols apparently have the unsightly anemic triggers...

Posts: 872 | Registered: October 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With so much time and experience you were very wrong about this subject.

quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Perspective-

If the firearm blog posted it, it is official. They have always acted as a cut out for SIG marketing. The staff there has a direct line to Michael Hunter apparently. When I was on Team SIG, they would get the information from SIG proper long before the team would get it. IE- We'd see that Team SIG would be here or there, before we got notified that we would be making an appearance here or there.

SIG, right or wrong, has in recent years used the Firearms Blog exclusively as a conduit to release information on products. FYI.

As to DPD, all I have to say after 20+ years of being on the job, is that the larger the ship, the harder it is to turn. These crazy memos and policy shifts are the daily occurrence that drives larger LE agencies. This is just one of many that came to the public light. A large agency can't walk back something like this overnight. It has to go from the section to the section head, up the chain through several layers of administration, and then with the same turtles pace back down the chain to resolution. It is maddening. But, it is how it works. DPD appears to have stepped in it. A serious officer safety issue was alleged, no matter how fake it was, and they just can't say "whoopsie all good" without several layers of investigation. That's just how it works.

Posts: 6 | Registered: December 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by USCO160:
I would think a manual safety P320 would only be drop safe if you dropped it with the safety on.

Exactly. If a pistol is only drop-safe when its manual safety is engaged, then it isn't really drop-safe.

Every pistol is drop-safe when it doesn't have a round chambered. Does that mean that every pistol is drop-safe?

Posts: 842 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hask12:
I'll be honest, I've never dropped a handgun but there are people who buy low quality holsters that a gun can fall out of. Still in all my intentions are wait and see but I'm wondering if some time in the future will it be difficult to get after market upgrades or just normal work on the gun if it was never sent in for what sig refers as an upgrade. I too also wonder what will happen to the trigger pull that currently love. And what do they mean by a manual safety?

i've bought a cheap leg holster and when running 2 times my guns were falling on the floor, the guns were a Mk25 and a Glock 17. Both times they were falling first on the top of the sights and just after on the side so no 30° drop. before inspecting the guns, I've thought oh my god my slide will need to be refinished but no, not a single scratch, just the top of the front and rear sight were a little scratched. The floor was hard bitume.

Posts: 467 | Registered: November 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Once these get in the pipeline will we have a serial number range? I mean I know their will be but will we know the cutoff point or will the only way to be to look for the slide cut?

I confess this may have been brought up but I lost track after about page 40.

I don't currently have a Jones for a P320 but hey I am a gun geek and since I am collecting the "whole set" Smile so to speak I figure it would be good to know how to tell updated guns.

Thanks
Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jigballs:
With so much time and experience you were very wrong about this subject.

quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Perspective-

If the firearm blog posted it, it is official. They have always acted as a cut out for SIG marketing. The staff there has a direct line to Michael Hunter apparently. When I was on Team SIG, they would get the information from SIG proper long before the team would get it. IE- We'd see that Team SIG would be here or there, before we got notified that we would be making an appearance here or there.

SIG, right or wrong, has in recent years used the Firearms Blog exclusively as a conduit to release information on products. FYI.

As to DPD, all I have to say after 20+ years of being on the job, is that the larger the ship, the harder it is to turn. These crazy memos and policy shifts are the daily occurrence that drives larger LE agencies. This is just one of many that came to the public light. A large agency can't walk back something like this overnight. It has to go from the section to the section head, up the chain through several layers of administration, and then with the same turtles pace back down the chain to resolution. It is maddening. But, it is how it works. DPD appears to have stepped in it. A serious officer safety issue was alleged, no matter how fake it was, and they just can't say "whoopsie all good" without several layers of investigation. That's just how it works.

The Firearm Blog mostly reposts things from elsewhere. In fact, they were quite late on each development in this issue with dropped P320's. About a week behind when they put out their breaking news.

They just put out a release this morning about a Glock that went 200,000 rounds...it's been on the net for a week or so, and Big Bore who owns the pistol posted about it some time ago. Things make it to Firearm Blog, but it's rarely the first place you'll hear about it. That's certainly the case with the P320 issues.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by toivo:
quote:
Originally posted by USCO160:
I would think a manual safety P320 would only be drop safe if you dropped it with the safety on.

Exactly. If a pistol is only drop-safe when its manual safety is engaged, then it isn't really drop-safe.

Every pistol is drop-safe when it doesn't have a round chambered. Does that mean that every pistol is drop-safe?

Not every pistol is drop safe without a round in the chamber.

Although they are rare, and then probably pre 1982, an open bolt pistol could conceivably fire if dropped with a loaded mag installed but no round in the chamber.

Posts: 67 | Registered: August 13, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cwm1150
posted Hide Post
Will there be any markings applied to the pistol to indicate it has had the recall preformed?

Posts: 176 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cwm1150:
Will there be any markings applied to the pistol to indicate it has had the recall preformed?

It isn't a recall it is an update so probably no requirement to mark anything.

But to know for sure you will probably need to wait until shooters start getting their 320's back from the update. Or try calling Sig customer service and ask them.

I just can't see them marking the grip module or slide as those are user swappable. Plus the slide will have the new disconnector milled depression so that will be very evident by just looking.

I'm not sure if they will mark the serialized
chassis (you will have to ask Sig) as that will also be easily recognized by the new puppet head disconnector and if not user changed by the new trigger profile

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JonTy:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by cwm1150:

It isn't a recall it is an update so probably no requirement to mark anything.

But to know for sure you will probably need to wait until shooters start getting their 320's back from the update. Or try calling Sig customer service and ask them.

I just can't see them marking the grip module or slide as those are user swappable. Plus the slide will have the new disconnector milled depression so that will be very evident by just looking.

I'm not sure if they will mark the serialized
chassis (you will have to ask Sig) as that will also be easily recognized by the new puppet head disconnector, and if not user changed, by the new trigger profile.