SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 ... 1206
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Yeah, shame on him for wanting a quick fix out of this. Roll Eyes Mad

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38677 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Er, the election's in November and all Trump needs to get a good tailwind is the beginning of a boom. The only mistake he can make is letting Pelosi and Schumer slow down the appearance of the beginning of a boom by letting the federal government spend money wildly in every which direction.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:

and much lower tax revenues, portend major inflation at some point in the future. Just a question of when, not if.

Now the arguing in this thread has stumbled upon a useful tidbit. I've been thinking about this for a while now and wonder what a good strategy will be to protect against it. We learned back in the '80s that it will literally kill your savings if you're locked into a low interest rate.

I stumbled into Treasury I bonds 20 years ago. They did a decent job when interest rates dropped to the cellar. They were designed to insulate against surging rates but did well with the opposite. Of course the Obama administration radically lowered the amount you could buy per year, kind of killing the attractiveness of them. Its not really an investment as much as a hedge.

There's got to be another hedge we could use against inflation. Anyone know?

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
For sure...the only way the Dems get what they want (make Trump look bad, more govt control over American's way of life) is if it drags on.....

quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
Yeah, shame on him for wanting a quick fix out of this. Roll Eyes Mad

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Politically, leftist need this to drag on through the election. That's the narrative right now, but folks seem to think it's all about our safety.

Posts: 1971 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
A couple weeks back, a Rush caller talked of a ventilator alternative that oxygenated the blood via catheter near or at the heart(?). I've heard nothing else about this treatment.

It's my understanding C19 is more like altitude sickness than pneumonia, low oxygen levels in the blood.

Is the alternative treatment anything to pin hopes on?

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I believe this is the same technique that is used for open heart surgery when they have to stop the heart for a while. There aren't nearly as many of those machines around as there are ventilators.

With C19, the low oxygen levels are due to poor gas transfer in the lungs because they're full of fluid.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16517 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
No idea if this is correct, but read this:

The past 48 hours or so have seen a huge revelation: COVID-19 causes prolonged and progressive hypoxia (starving your body of oxygen) by binding to the heme groups in hemoglobin in your red blood cells. People are simply desaturating (losing o2 in their blood), and that’s what eventually leads to organ failures that kill them, not any form of ARDS or pneumonia. All the damage to the lungs you see in CT scans are from the release of oxidative iron from the hemes, this overwhelms the natural defenses against pulmonary oxidative stress and causes that nice, always-bilateral ground glass opacity in the lungs. Patients returning for re-hospitalization days or weeks after recovery suffering from apparent delayed post-hypoxic leukoencephalopathy strengthen the notion COVID-19 patients are suffering from hypoxia despite no signs of respiratory ‘tire out’ or fatigue.

It is INCORRECT to assume traditional ARDS and in doing so, you’re treating the WRONG DISEASE. Think of it a lot like carbon monoxide poisoning, in which CO is bound to the hemoglobin, making it unable to carry oxygen. In those cases, ventilators aren’t treating the root cause; the patient’s lungs aren’t ‘tiring out’, they’re pumping just fine. The red blood cells just can’t carry o2, end of story. Only in this case, unlike CO poisoning in which eventually the CO can break off, the affected hemoglobin is permanently stripped of its ability to carry o2 because it has lost its iron ion. The body compensates for this lack of o2 carrying capacity and deliveries by having your kidneys release hormones like erythropoietin, which tell your bone marrow factories to ramp up production on new red blood cells with freshly made and fully functioning hemoglobin. This is the reason you find elevated hemoglobin and decreased blood oxygen saturation as one of the 3 primary indicators of whether the shit is about to hit the fan for a particular patient or not.

http://web.archive.org/web/202...-secret-91182386efcb

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hammer1967
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by holdem:
I appreciate Trump's enthusiasm. And I agree, it must be open sooner rather than later. Come May 1st, the gears 100% have to start turning towards economic motion again.

But it will not boom before his re-election. Not a chance in hell. Too much damage has been done and getting this economy moving again will be a HUGE effort and take lots of time.

It’s going to be a while for sure

If Jesus would have had a gun he would be alive today. Homer Simpson
“Him plenty dead” Tonto

Posts: 1090 | Location: TN | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:
COVID-19 causes prolonged and progressive hypoxia (starving your body of oxygen) by binding to the heme groups in hemoglobin in your red blood cells.

Swell.
Did I already mention my concerns about impaired lung function because of living at high altitude (69% of sea level air pressure and available O2)? So maybe now it’s not the lungs I need to fret* about, but the blood.

* I say “fret” because if I said I was worried, I’d be accused by some people of PANICKING!!! (with accompanying videos), and I certainly wouldn’t want that. Roll Eyes

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
I understand enough of what fearsum posted to know I don’t understand it. I’d appreciate Doc H chiming in.

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
NY City is seeing a high rate of deaths

just NY City:

confirmed cases 81,803
deaths 4,571

4571 / 81903 = 5.6%

NY city has 55% of NY state's confirmed cases, but 73% of the deaths

data from

https://coronavirus.1point3acres.com/en

Posts: 19575 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigalert:
I understand enough of what fearsum posted to know I don’t understand it. I’d appreciate Doc H chiming in.

I read through the original article. Very interesting for sure, but it's still just one guy's theory. Waiting for a more official, peer-reviewed report.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16354 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:

The past 48 hours or so have seen a huge revelation: COVID-19 causes prolonged and progressive hypoxia (starving your body of oxygen) by binding to the heme groups in hemoglobin in your red blood cells. People are simply desaturating (losing o2 in their blood), and that’s what eventually leads to organ failures that kill them, not any form of ARDS or pneumonia.

My wife (MD) was telling me about this yesterday. She has an MD/PhD friend who is a research scientist who just received a grant for laboratory research related to this.

This could also explain the very elevated mortality rate among diabetics. I may not be repeating this correctly, but my understanding is that even a diabetic who is meticulous about controlling his blood sugar has larger swings in blood sugar levels than a non-diabetic, and elevated blood sugar leads to sugar binding to hemoglobin and reducing its oxygen-carrying capacity (I think this is what the A1c test measures). So basically, a diabetic person's hemoglobin is already likely to be less efficient, and then when you pile COVID-19's effect on top of that, it's bad news.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE] It’s going to be a while for sure[/QUOTE]

I actually think PDJT will start letting people go back to church on Sunday (with correct spacing or out doors), and start commerce going again on Monday starting with low risk work (construction and other outdoor activities), and gradually opening up other work with sports and schools outdoors. Entertainment venues indoors should be last

Posts: 916 | Location: SE-PA | Registered: August 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I actually think PDJT will start letting people go back to church on Sunday

That's up to the States.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:

The past 48 hours or so have seen a huge revelation: COVID-19 causes prolonged and progressive hypoxia (starving your body of oxygen) by binding to the heme groups in hemoglobin in your red blood cells. People are simply desaturating (losing o2 in their blood), and that’s what eventually leads to organ failures that kill them, not any form of ARDS or pneumonia. All the damage to the lungs you see in CT scans are from the release of oxidative iron from the hemes, this overwhelms the natural defenses against pulmonary oxidative stress and causes that nice, always-bilateral ground glass opacity in the lungs. Patients returning for re-hospitalization days or weeks after recovery suffering from apparent delayed post-hypoxic leukoencephalopathy strengthen the notion COVID-19 patients are suffering from hypoxia despite no signs of respiratory ‘tire out’ or fatigue.

It is INCORRECT to assume traditional ARDS and in doing so, you’re treating the WRONG DISEASE. Think of it a lot like carbon monoxide poisoning, in which CO is bound to the hemoglobin, making it unable to carry oxygen. In those cases, ventilators aren’t treating the root cause; the patient’s lungs aren’t ‘tiring out’, they’re pumping just fine. The red blood cells just can’t carry o2, end of story. Only in this case, unlike CO poisoning in which eventually the CO can break off, the affected hemoglobin is permanently stripped of its ability to carry o2 because it has lost its iron ion. The body compensates for this lack of o2 carrying capacity and deliveries by having your kidneys release hormones like erythropoietin, which tell your bone marrow factories to ramp up production on new red blood cells with freshly made and fully functioning hemoglobin. This is the reason you find elevated hemoglobin and decreased blood oxygen saturation as one of the 3 primary indicators of whether the shit is about to hit the fan for a particular patient or not.

http://web.archive.org/web/202...-secret-91182386efcb

With a [B]NOVEL[/B] virus like this, the unknowns need to become known before a truly effective treatment(s) and/or vaccines can be perfected. I'm encouraged by the universal efforts to address this threat.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10198 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:

4571 / 81903 = 5.6%

But how many of the 4571 deaths are actually flu, high blood pressure and obesity, etc?

Posts: 916 | Location: SE-PA | Registered: August 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
I actually think PDJT will start letting people go back to church on Sunday

That's up to the States.

Indeed it is but his job is to make recommendations for the Governors to make the right decisions, just as he has been saying almost every day in his briefings.

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
4571 / 81903 = 5.6%

Indeed. The Detroit area is faring poorly also.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post