SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 ... 1214
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
to instill a sense of calm by way of perceived control and by "doing something".

Then you should be happy they’re calming down and not cleaning out the ammo and toilet paper shelves in their frenzied panic buying—no?

We don’t have to believe something ourselves to benefit from it as long as enough other people do. I could cite many obvious examples, but that would annoy the many people who believe things I don’t. It is nevertheless true, and because we can benefit from their beliefs, what I don’t understand is why we would discourage them. Is the satisfaction we get from not even pretending to being prey to their uninformed superstitions more important than the tangible benefits of letting them try to improve the common good?

6.4/93.6

“I regret that I am to now die in the belief, that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776, to acquire self-government and happiness to their country, is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be, that I live not to weep over it.”
— Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 47719 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I was sent to the dollar store to pick up a bunch of coloring books for our kids, the psychology this whole pandemic is just weird to watch unfold. I’ve got people literally recoiling from me as I try to pass them in the aisles. Confused

My dog had an appointment at the vet this morning for a shot. Protocol was to pull up, call in, tech will come out to get dog, take in to do whatever and then return to car without us getting out. When I pulled up, there was a Sheriffs Deputy waiting at the door to serve a summons to one of the techs. Said tech walks out to talk to Deputy. Some Goosesteppin' Karen walks right by my wifes open car window and screams at the tech and deputy that there needs to be 6' between them Confused I watched as the lady roamed about the parking lot with her mask on looking for others to yell at. As far as I could tell, she had no business to be out. No groceries loaded into her car. No booze from the ABC store and she didn't have a pet either, so she wasn't there for the vet. Just gotta love how some people leave the "safety" of their home to go yell at people in public over their own personal fears. The irony will be lost on her always and forever!

Posts: 2860 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
Some Goosesteppin' Karen walks right by my wifes open car window and screams at the tech and deputy that there needs to be 6' between them I watched as the lady roamed about the parking lot with her mask on looking for others to yell at.
Wow, people are really uptight in the North.

Still very chill down here.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:
Well the tests that are currently out only tell you if you currently have it, not if you have had it.

San Miguel county Colorado has been testing the residents for COVID antibodies for over three weeks.

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've no doubt that much of the push for Mask and Glove use by regular people is Virus Theatre, to instill a sense of calm by way of perceived control and by "doing something".

On a recent Joe Rogan podcast with Eric Weinstein (disagree with his politics or not), he really goes off on the whole mask theater and suggests the malfeasance of CDC and the whole medical administration apparatus as regards PPE, orders to the public not to wear it early on, and now the critical shortages by those who actually need it (doctors and nurses)...now that they've told the public to wear it.

Interesting listen.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
^^ I'm beginning to wonder how much demand for testing is going to start coming from people who are actually eager to take the test because they're hoping they've already had it and may therefore be immune.

In my opinion, an antibody test should be what we’re focusing on and putting effort into. It should not only tell us who has had it, but also who’s bodies are fighting the virus. Once it is revealed that a huge number of people are no longer at risk (I’m in the camp that believes a whole bunch already had it), we can get everyone back to work and worry about treating the sick.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15833 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
My favorite gun store wants us to wear masks inside. I hope they don’t shoot me. Big Grin

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
In my opinion, an antibody test should be what we’re focusing on and putting effort into. It should not only tell us who has had it, but also who’s bodies are fighting the virus. Once it is revealed that a huge number of people are no longer at risk (I’m in the camp that believes a whole bunch already had it), we can get everyone back to work and worry about treating the sick.

I would tend to agree. I firmly believe that my daughter brought it home from school in early/mid January as everyone in the house got sick with mild symptoms outlined here many times.

If we knew that I’d already had it and recovered I’d have no issue working someplace to benefit those at risk, as I’m sure many folks would.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5425 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
to instill a sense of calm by way of perceived control and by "doing something".

Then you should be happy they’re calming down and not cleaning out the ammo and toilet paper shelves in their frenzied panic buying—no?

We don’t have to believe something ourselves to benefit from it as long as enough other people do. I could cite many obvious examples, but that would annoy the many people who believe things I don’t. It is nevertheless true, and because we can benefit from their beliefs, what I don’t understand is why we would discourage them. Is the satisfaction we get from not even pretending to being prey to their uninformed superstitions more important than the tangible benefits of letting them try to improve the common good?

Oh I don't think it's any more dangerous or nefarious or whatever else to say that than it is speaking of the TSA as largely Security Theatre as so many so commonly do. It was a matter of fact sort of statement, really. Not some incendiary or smug blah blah. And I think a steady focus on non-theatre is important - no?

In a time of medical and scientific problems, superstitions and what feels good has little to no place, IMO.

Let's reason our way through this by sticking to facts and working the problem and doing what's needed.

And no more, really.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Understand.

Posts: 47719 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Cool. Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
My favorite gun store wants us to wear masks inside.
I'm not doing this. I'm not voluntarily wearing a mask, and I'm certainly not going to patronize a business which makes this stupid shit mandatory. I'm just not doing it.

People with no medical training of any kind are making idiotic, follow-the-leader, stupid fucking decisions which do nothing to help in this matter; quite the opposite, actually. Everyone just needs to cool it with behaving as if they're expert on the subject of communicable diseases, and they need to stop the fear mongering.
Reasonable precautions are called for, but, Goddamn, people. Get a fucking grip. Roll Eyes

Posts: 109160 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Largefarva:

Chicago mayor's executive order grants coronavirus benefits to illegal immigrants

Friggin’ great. Guess who gets to help pay for this bullshit? I can’t stand Chicago.

Well, as long as they have the money to pay for those benefits, I see nothing wrong with it.

OH, wait... They're broke, as is the entire state. How's that going to work? Big Grin

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18394 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
From the folks who brought you covid19...

SEASON 2020: EPISODE 18 A special undercover report from China’s secretive Xinjiang region. FRONTLINE investigates the Communist regime’s mass imprisonment of Muslims, and its use and testing of sophisticated surveillance technology against the Uyghur community.

China Undercover FRONTLINE

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:
No idea if this is correct, but read this:

http://web.archive.org/web/202...-secret-91182386efcb
a good read - Thanks.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
When I pulled up, there was a Sheriffs Deputy waiting at the door to serve a summons to one of the techs. Said tech walks out to talk to Deputy. Some Goosesteppin' Karen walks right by my wifes open car window and screams at the tech and deputy that there needs to be 6' between them I watched as the lady roamed about the parking lot with her mask on looking for others to yell at. As far as I could tell, she had no business to be out. No groceries loaded into her car. No booze from the ABC store and she didn't have a pet either, so she wasn't there for the vet.

Number one. Why is there a deputy waiting to serve a summons on a vet tech?? As far as the masked lady looking for people to yell at really requires little if any explanation. Roll Eyes

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8627 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
... as regards PPE, orders to the public not to wear it early on, and now the critical shortages by those who actually need it (doctors and nurses)...now that they've told the public to wear it.

That's utter bullshit. There's been a shortage of PPE nearly since the start.

Where do you think the average Jane or Joe is going to get this stuff, now? (Hint: There's none to buy in the retail chain.)

As for when wearing masks makes sense and when it doesn't: It's pretty simple: If you're going to be w/in spitting distance of people that may be infected and may sneeze, cough, or otherwise exhale the disease in your direction: A mask may be beneficial. Otherwise it's pointless.

I wear one when I go out shopping. My wife wore one to the vet's today. They can't hurt and they may help. We certainly don't wear them around the house or in the yard.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
... as regards PPE, orders to the public not to wear it early on, and now the critical shortages by those who actually need it (doctors and nurses)...now that they've told the public to wear it.

That's utter bullshit. There's been a shortage of PPE nearly since the start.

Where do you think the average Jane or Joe is going to get this stuff, now? (Hint: There's none to buy in the retail chain.)

As for when wearing masks makes sense and when it doesn't: It's pretty simple: If you're going to be w/in spitting distance of people that may be infected and may sneeze, cough, or otherwise exhale the disease in your direction: A mask may be beneficial. Otherwise it's pointless.

I wear one when I go out shopping. My wife wore one to the vet's today. They can't hurt and they may help. We certainly don't wear them around the house or in the yard.

That’s why I bought a big box of N95 masks in January when I started to get the feeling this could be bad. I’ve since given many of them to my cousins who are nurses in infected areas of hospitals. For some reason, my nurse friends and half of Facebook was shouting from the rooftops that masks don’t work.

Now they have people with underwear taped to their faces in the grocery stores.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Göttingen suggests. The novel countries and widely comment report from the Universtates the true novel countries and internatically issued on by national media outlets dramational and inted by natically understates and infectionavirus dramations, a recent report from the true number of Göttingen suggests. The Universtates for the University officially undersity officially undersity of Göttingen suggests. The University of internatically issued on by natically issued case COVID-19 of Göttingen suggest.

Vollmer from Göttingen Univered people worldwide may already have on ave on ave only discoversity haveral case records. Their data shows that countries haversity of millions and that countil death from Göttingen University and time used estian Bommer of cords. The Lancet Infected people worldwide may already have ready published on ave only discoversity have untries of COVID-19 mortality official case ready have used only discoveral cases have reached on average about 6% of of infections and the quality of official case records.

Germany, which has detected 15.6% of in Italy 3.5% in Italy or 1.7% in Italy or 1.7% in Italy 3.5% infected to only 3.5% in Italy or 1.7% in Spain. confirmed an estimated 15.6% of in Italy or 1.7% in Italy or 1.7% infections compared cases than estimated cases than Germany, which has detected cases than estimated 15.6% of in Spain. confirmed an Germany, which has detections compared an Germany, which has detected 15.6% of in Italy or 1.7% infected cases than Germany, which has detections compared 15.

Insufficiencing may explain why some European countries, such as Italy and delatived relayed States 1.6% and delayed relatived Detection ratestingdom 1.2% two countriencing much as Italy andemic. Insufficism from public healty numbers respread criticiencingdom public healty numbers reported Kingdom public health experies are even lower in why some European countries, such as Italy and delayed testingdom 1.2% two countriencing may explain the pandemic. Insufficism from 1.2% two countrient and the United States.

Southod, that on ten morea appears to had morea appears to had more that than five millions. In sharp contrast had more the auth Kore that the same million, Southors estimate they calculate the United on 31 March 2020, Germany have million 31 March 2020, Germany half of all its SARS-CoV-2 infection, Italy around that on infections. Based all its SARS-CoV-2 infection and that to half of all its SARS-CoV-2 infection and than five discovered almost have million, Italy around than five discovered on 31 March 2020.

These numbersity of Developments and policy-makers need case exercise exercise reported to extreme day than Vollmer, Professor planning purposes. On the Johns Univernment Economics and policy-makersity reported than Vollmer, Profess the Johns were less the Univers for of Götting than the says, mean Vollmer, Professor planning cautions Univers need that the vastian the Johns Hopkins were lessor of Developments and policy-makersity of Developments mean that government Economics and policy-makersity of infections were undetected.

Christian the amount and do not provemently needed. Such extremently uninformative and quality of testing carries mean Bommer adds, Major improvide helpful information. Christian Bommer adds, Major improvide helpful information. Christian the virus are largely needed. Such extrement and quality of contain the and do not provements infect new informative amount and quality of countries in different count contain the ability of testian Bommer adds, Major improvement count and countries informative amounts.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44498 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
That's unreadable

Posts: 109160 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post