SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 ... 1214
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
how do they help?

Only time I've used them is in instances where I won't be able to wash after a grabbing something with a lot of traffic like a gas pump, etc. before taking hold of steering wheel, phone, etc. Easier to just strip that off the one hand that was on pump/keypad than to carry around some other sort of cleaning method. Which, of course, you can't buy now.

They are also fun to pull/snap on loudly when walking into the bedroom in the evening..... Razz

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12708 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
Chicago is already there:

https://www.washingtontimes.co...ecutive-order-grant/

Chicago mayor's executive order grants coronavirus benefits to illegal immigrants

By - Associated Press - Tuesday, April 7, 2020
CHICAGO — Chicago immigrants who do not have legal status in the U.S. are eligible for all relief programs run by the city amid the coronavirus outbreak, Mayor Lori Lightfoot ordered Tuesday.

Lightfoot said that includes programs for housing assistance and low-interest small business loans administered by the city.

Immigrants who do not have legal status in the U.S. are excluded from the $2 trillion federal relief package approved by Congress. The package is limited to those who have filed federal taxes using Social Security Numbers.

Chicago Alderman George Cardenas said that left out people who are “the heart and soul of the service economy.”

“These individuals are getting hit the hardest,” he said. “They have nowhere to turn for support.”

Immigration advocacy groups have called for additional federal legislation providing financial help for immigrants who do not have legal status but pay taxes using Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers.

Friggin’ great. Guess who gets to help pay for this bullshit? I can’t stand Chicago.

Posts: 725 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: July 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Some of the criticisms of blaming all deaths of people with serious additional medical problems on C-19 are clearly valid, but it can be just as much of a mistake to believe that everyone in that condition who dies would have died “anyway.”
Just too be clear, I have been drawing attention to this classification issue, but only as it relates to the integrity of the data and models. I personally don't care how the deaths are classified so long as its done as accurately as possible. This BS of simply classifying all deaths as Covid deaths if the virus is present in the decedent is just utter stupidity and screws big time with the projections. My grandfather told us kids many times when we were growing up, "If you're not going to do it right, then don't do it at all". I would suggest these morons in Washington start adhering to that approach, and right now.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The grocery store is about the only place I wear disposable gloves. I do that because not picking up viruses from the products I handle in the first place is a more certain way of avoiding their infecting me than washing after I do, and is certainly better than smearing on a bit of “sanitizer”—if I had any. Disposing of gloves before I get back in my car also helps avoid contaminating the steering wheel and other surfaces. Plus, when I do wear gloves, it pretty much keeps me from touching my face; that may not work for the more oblivious, but it does for me.

6.4/93.6

“I regret that I am to now die in the belief, that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776, to acquire self-government and happiness to their country, is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be, that I live not to weep over it.”
— Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 47719 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Is mail a Covid-19 risk?

Not so much ...

https://raysecur.com/covid19-m...curity-threat/#touch

"Can I catch Coronavirus by touching mail?
The CDC tells us that a sender breathing into a package can’t hurt a mail handler. But what about coughing onto a parcel surface?

Can mail handlers contract COVID-19 from a paper or cardboard mail package exterior surface?

No — not unless the mail handler receives the mail package only a few hours after someone coughed on it.

Why? Two reasons.

1. Virus surviving on paper or cardboard
First, the virus cannot survive on the mail parcel’s paper or cardboard surface for very long.

The best science available, as of March 20, 2020, tells us that it can survive on paper only up to 24 hours.

24 hours may sound like a long time, but most mail takes at least 48 hours to travel from sender to recipient—double the paper-surface lifespan of the SARS-CoV-2 virus.

By the time the mail reaches its recipient, any viruses present are likely to be dead or inactive (“unviable”).

2. Touching skin is not enough to contract the virus
The SARS-CoV-2 virus cannot penetrate skin (source: CDC). In order to harm a person, the virus must penetrate a permeable mucus membrane.

That’s why the WHO, CDC, NIH/NIAID, FDA, and every other major medical body in the world are warning people not to touch their mouth or face."

What about mail carriers?
If the virus can stay active as the result of a cough or sneeze on a mail package, are recipients at risk of exposure from mail carriers expectorating on a box or envelope?

Unfortunately, the answer is yes.

The same is true of a mail carrier picking up a parcel from a sender, shortly after the sender coughed on it.

This situation is a result of our mail collection system, and is the largest threat scenario for USPS and other mail and package delivery systems."

So, this insides of mail and packages are not so risky, as they've likely been in transit more than 24 hours. Its the just coughed on exterior surfaces that might be
contaminated by the symptomatic mail carrier, mail sender or package delivery folks.

Posts: 16204 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
This phrase "social distancing," I hate it. If you even say hi to another person, he or she looks at you like "why the hell are you talking to me; go away."
Balze, maybe this will provide a bit of hope. I treated myself to a Chipotle burrito bowl the other night (fine dining in the new world Smile) and the skeleton crew they had working really seemed nervous, quiet, and a bit on edge. Soooooo, I made it a point of talking to each of them (all 3), not about the virus and current BS, but just how I appreciated them being there to serve me a meal I was looking forward to having. By the end of our brief conversation, I got smiles out of each of them and a thank you for coming in.

I think we're all going to have to really go the extra mile right now to try and be patient and friendly with each other while the government keeps tripping on its dick and making all of our lives difficult.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I’ve got people literally recoiling from me as I try to pass them in the aisles. Confused

People are being told to maintain a minimum of six feet of distance between one another. So why do you find their reactions confusing? I find it confusing that you're confused by their reactions when you get too close to them.

quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
I see people out in the world wearing latex, rubber, nitrile, vinyl and other types of impermeable gloves continuously during their
excursions.

They don't change them or even hand-wash them between exposure to surfaces in public, ...

Unless these materials possess some kind of intrinsic, rapid antiviral capabilities of which I am unaware, how do they help?

Your skin is not permeable, true. But it does have nooks and crannies, and the area under your fingernails. Gloves don't.

I wear 'em. But when I get back to the car the first thing I do, after stashing my merchandise in the back or on the floor, is grab a disinfectant sheet, wipe-down the canister, "wash" my hands with it, wipe down everything on the car I touched, and my key fob.

Then, once seated in the car, I dispose of the disinfectant wipe, then remove and set the gloves aside if I'm done with my excursion.

Anything we buy, if it doesn't need refrigeration, goes into the garage for 2-3 days. If it does need to come inside it gets wiped-down beforehand.

quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Is mail a Covid-19 risk?

Not so much ...

Then goes on to explain just how it can be

E.g.: "The best science available, as of March 20, 2020, tells us that it can survive on paper only up to 24 hours."

Our snail mail and parcels go into the garage for 2-3 days before we touch them. Everything we touch in moving the stuff into quarantine gets disinfected and hands get thoroughly washed.

Yes, we're super-vigilant.

Btw: There's more than just paper products on the surfaces of those snail mail and package delivery boxes--incl. plastic. SARS-CoV-2 can remain viable for up to 72 hours on certain such materials.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:

I think we're all going to have to really go the extra mile right now to try and be patient and friendly with each other while the government keeps tripping on its dick and making all of our lives difficult.

Well said.

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
I make a point of thanking people for working under very stressful conditions. They seem to appreciate it.

I’ve also been tipping people I wouldn’t normally.

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3626 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by PASig:
I’ve got people literally recoiling from me as I try to pass them in the aisles. Confused

People are being told to maintain a minimum of six feet of distance between one another. So why do you find their reactions confusing? I find it confusing that you're confused by their reactions when you get too close to them.
[quote]
I would be confused because I would assume that when they entered the store they accepted the fact that people are bound to go by them in aisles that are less than 8 feet wide.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5725 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure I had it back in December. It was your standard flu-like symptoms: fever, cough, chills. My mother's wake/funeral was coming up so I loaded up on Zicam to knock it down. I still felt like shit but was functional. But I had a persistent dry cough which lasted 2-3 weeks after which my MD chalked up to a post viral cough. Once the antibody test comes out I'm going to get it to see if that was actually it.

One of the interesting things that I learned recently though is that the drug being pushed to treat C-19, hydroxychloroquine works best when mixed with zinc.

And Zinc is the primary ingredient in....Zicam.

Posts: 6400 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^ I'm beginning to wonder how much demand for testing is going to start coming from people who are actually eager to take the test because they're hoping they've already had it and may therefore be immune.

Posts: 27303 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Well the tests that are currently out only tell you if you currently have it, not if you have had it.

Posts: 6400 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
^^ I'm beginning to wonder how much demand for testing is going to start coming from people who are actually eager to take the test because they're hoping they've already had it and may therefore be immune.

We're talking two different tests, right? One would determine if someone is positive for the Wuhan, the other is for determining the presence of antibodies. Do I have that right?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30952 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:

We're talking two different tests, right? One would determine if someone is positive for the Wuhan, the other is for determining the presence of antibodies. Do I have that right?

Correct, see above.

Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:
I'm pretty sure I had it back in December. It was your standard flu-like symptoms: fever, cough, chills. My mother's wake/funeral was coming up so I loaded up on Zicam to knock it down. I still felt like shit but was functional. But I had a persistent dry cough which lasted 2-3 weeks after which my MD chalked up to a post viral cough. Once the antibody test comes out I'm going to get it to see if that was actually it.

One of the interesting things that I learned recently though is that the drug being pushed to treat C-19, hydroxychloroquine works best when mixed with zinc.

And Zinc is the primary ingredient in....Zicam.

Choroquine acts as an ionophore for the zinc to enter the cytoplasm.

4 weeks ago. ancient history...

Posts: 3601 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I've no doubt that much of the push for Mask and Glove use by regular people is Virus Theatre, to instill a sense of calm by way of perceived control and by "doing something".

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
Five more deaths today in Oregon, for a total of 39.

Exert from the news article:

"The five deaths included three people from Multnomah County, an 88-year-old woman, a 75-year-old woman and a 77-year-old man, as well as two men in Yamhill County, ages 90 and 94."

Posts: 1848 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of was0311
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
I've no doubt that much of the push for Mask and Glove use by regular people is Virus Theatre, to instill a sense of calm by way of perceived control and by "doing something".

People gloving can cause more problems, they just need to wash their hands.

Masks, they can cause more problems, but really it can help some spreading.

Posts: 2654 | Location: Eastern NE | Registered: July 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kansas Legislature Pushing Back ……
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...therings/ar-BB12lDM4
The Kansas legislature has passed a bill nullifying their governors ban on Easter church services. So, people that wish to go can apparently do so without fear of the "social distance police".
I've been waiting to see if any state legislatures had the balls to push back against some of these governors actions.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post