SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 ... 1206
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
For anyone interested, an article and map about COVID-19 cases at Veterans Affairs facilities.

https://www.militarytimes.com/...ily%20News%20Roundup

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
This is the douchebag governor of Massachusetts a day after shutting down gun stores, stopping all gun safety classes required for gun license (in person and virtual are banned)....

Under what 'Authority' can that MASShole ban 'virtual training'....And exactly how the hell do they expect to enforce it anyway! Roll Eyes

It is enforced by not accepting license applications for people because they have banned all classes. so there is no way to meet the legal requirement.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12437 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
Re: the calculus of the curve.

Is the area under the curve equal to the total number of deaths? Is the area the same for both curves? We're trying to flatten the curve so that healthcare is not overwhelmed. Healthcare could presumably handle the flatter curve with our ramping up measures being taken, but are the number of deaths the same--just spread out over a longer period of time?

From a not-overwhelming-the-healthcare-system standpoint, the important curves are hospitalizations and (especially) ICU hospitalizations.

Given how infectious the disease is, initial estimates based on no one doing anything were that something like 40-70% of the population would eventually be infected.

In the IHME model, about 3% of the population ends up being infected by August. So the curve is both flatter and the area under it is smaller.

If we can then keep the spread controlled (perhaps through less restrictive measures than are currently in effect) until a vaccine is produced, then we could greatly reduce the number of deaths that would have occurred, not just spread them out more.

The other thing, of course, is that if all the hospitals filled up and got overwhelmed, a lot more people would die (even if the same number got sick) because a lot of people would not be able to get adequate medical care.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is enforced by not accepting license applications for people because they have banned all classes. so there is no way to meet the legal requirement.

The leftists do love their choke points.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:

This is one of those cases that I hope can be pushed through the courts. It's quite possible it wouldn't go far, but we never know, and it's egregious enough that it could result in a useful precedent for gun owners.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:...
This is one of those cases that I hope can be pushed through the courts. It's quite possible it wouldn't go far, but we never know, and it's egregious enough that it could result in a useful precedent for gun owners.

The Heller, you say! Smile

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43882 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Half of people with coronavirus have no symptoms, data shows

About half of people who have the coronavirus show no symptoms, according to data from Iceland, the Italian town of Vo, and the Diamond Princess cruise ship.

The data from those places is of particular interest to researchers because in those places even people without symptoms were tested – which is not the case in the U.S. and most countries, where desperately needed tests are reserved mostly for people who show symptoms.

Experts say the discovery has critical implications and shows that even more widespread testing may be needed to identify all carriers.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is also expected to recommend face coverings in virus hot-spots soon because that may help prevent spread from people who show no symptoms.

Here’s some of the data that experts are looking at.

Cruise ship

All 3,711 passengers on the Diamond Princess cruise ship were tested, 712 tested positive, and of those, 331 (46 percent) have never shown outward symptoms, according to Japan’s health agency, which has also been cited by the CDC.

“Many cases are apparently asymptomatic. This is both good and bad news, because it means the virus lethality may be lower than initially thought, but also that people can unknowingly spread the virus,” Patrick T. Dolan, a virologist at University of California, San Francisco, told Fox News.

MORE SHOPPERS TURNING TO APPS FOR GROCERIES AMID CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC

“It is still too early to be certain of the numbers, but it is clear that asymptomatic infection is contributing significantly to the spread of SARS-CoV2. This is exactly why strict adherence to social distancing measures is critical,” he said.

On the cruise ship, nine speople have died, with 10 still in critical condition. After adjusting for expected further deaths and for age – all passengers who died were over 70, and the average age on the ship was 58 – London researchers used the ship’s data to estimate that the death rate for a general population is around 0.6 percent.

Vo, Italy

In the small northern Italian town of Vò, where Italy’s first coronavirus death occurred, the entire population of 3,000 people was tested.

“We tested all residents of Vò... including those who did not have symptoms,” two Italian researchers wrote in the Guardian. The researchers were surprised to find that “a significant proportion of the population, about 3 percent, had already been infected – yet most of them were completely asymptomatic.”

“This allowed us to quarantine people before they showed signs of infection and stop the further spread of coronavirus [in Vò],” the researchers noted.

Health experts reached by Fox News all said that asymptomatic carriers are a major issue. The situation calls for “a better national policy of widespread testing, to isolate cases,” said Ali S. Khan, the dean of the College of Public Health at the University of Nebraska Medical Center.

The U.S. got a late start in testing, but is rapidly becoming a world leader in it after many regulations were waived in mid-March.

Iceland

In Iceland, more than 6 percent of the entire country has been tested, by far the largest proportion in the world. Nearly half of those tests have been done as part of a “screening program," in which anyone who asks for a test can get one, even if they have mild or no symptoms.

“Of the 5,502 samples taken in the screening program between March 13-19, 50 tested positive for SARS-CoV-2... 66 percent of those individuals reported symptoms, such as coughing and body ache,” Kjartan Hreinn Njálsson, at the Icelandic Directorate of Health, told Fox News, adding that the other third had no symptoms.

Non-symptomatic people can spread the disease, but, “we know that the virus is much more likely to spread from person to person if the infected one is showing symptoms,” Njálsson said.

The good news is that a high rate of non-symptomatic cases means more people will be fine than researchers first thought. But virologists note that even accounting for that, more than a million people could die if no precautions were taken.

“Respect social distancing and other measures like wearing a face mask of some kind, maybe even homemade, when you go out to buy food or pick up medicines,” Dr. Peter Kolchinsky, the author of The Great American Drug Deal: A New Prescription for Innovative and Affordable Medicines, told Fox News. He trained as a virologist, and is managing partner of RA Capital Management, which invests in new medicines.

“We all have to try to stay uninfected to keep the burden lower on hospitals until we get effective treatments and vaccines. When we get widespread testing, people can come back to work with others they trust to have been tested,” he said.

https://www.foxnews.com/health...o-symptoms-data-show

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
quote:

The leftists do love their choke points.

Shit like this makes me want to just say screw it and begin my life of crime.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
quote:
This is the douchebag governor of Massachusetts a day after shutting down gun stores, stopping all gun safety classes required for gun license (in person and virtual are banned)....

Under what 'Authority' can that MASShole ban 'virtual training'....And exactly how the hell do they expect to enforce it anyway! Roll Eyes

The fact they're not accepting and/or processing applications should NOT invalidate the training for being conducted during a 'forbidden' time frame! Presumably the validity of training would not expire prior to the resumption of LTC application processing either.

Sooo, has other 'virtual training' been banned, or is it just firearms training that's banned? Again, just who the FUCK do they think they are? Roll Eyes

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8887 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Who is it here with the signature line from HL Mencken? "Every man must, sooner or later, roll up his sleeves..."

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
The whole asymptomatic carrier thing is why I think Korea may be the right model to root this thing out. Test, trace and quarantine may be the only way to stop people with no symptoms from passing it around. Lots of unanswered questions yet about this population of infected individuals.

If they carry the Corona virus but do not get sick do they have Covid-19?

How long do they carry it?

Are they able to spread it at the same rate as those who get sick?

If so, for how long?

Do they carry a smaller viral load than the eventually symptomatic carrier?

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Watching today’s briefing and Trump is trying to explain what “our” means to a reporter. Really? That question was really asked? “What did Kushner mean by ‘our masks’?” Ummmmm..... the masks in the national stockpile you twit.....

Posts: 2157 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of was0311
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
quote:
Originally posted by thunderson:
Another post by an RN friend of mine explaining the nature of a virus and hand washing.

This has been circulating on Facebook for weeks, supposedly from Johns Hopkins.
The grammar makes me doubt that.

I thought it would be followed by a link for essential oils.

Posts: 2654 | Location: Eastern NE | Registered: July 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Who is it here with the signature line from HL Mencken? "Every man must, sooner or later, roll up his sleeves..."

“Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.”

― H.L. Mencken, Prejudices: First Series

Another good one....

"The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane, and intolerable..."

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:

Me. I’ve had it on there for some time.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2699 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thunderson:
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
]This has been circulating on Facebook for weeks, supposedly from Johns Hopkins.
The grammar makes me doubt that.

I didn't see it attributed to Johns Hopkins. Is there info there that you are skeptical of?

Because it was posted several dozen pages ago in this thread by a member who said it was passed to them and its source was Johns Hopkins.

Posters here pointed out factual errors, not to mention the grammar. And apparently it's already in Snopes as untrue.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
Read an interesting slant on the toilet paper shortage.

The summery is that with all of us at home the toilet paper consumption has gone up an estimated 40% accordingly, the consumption at work has dropped significantly.

Toilet paper has two markets, business and home...

This same logic can be used to explain food shortages in grocery stores. As people switch to home food, they purchase more food from grocery stores. All the reasons why it is difficult to reallocate commercial TP to home apply to redirecting wholesale food to retail grocery stores.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
^^^ Makes sense.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38677 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Me. I’ve had it on there for some time.

---

Ah, there we go. I've kinda fallen in love with his war on British English.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Something else sad to see - many hospital administrations are are not supporting their nurses, aides, techs, etc. Even though there is a shortage, it is turning into you do what we tell you, when we tell you, how we tell you and do not complain even privately or you are fired.

Based on what I have heard directly from my live-in nurse, that is exactly the case, to the letter.

There has been a specific directive to personnel NOT to talk to anyone about the situation in the hospital.

Say nothing about equipment shortages or gross violations of previously standing policies, shifts in policies sometimes more than one time in a single shift, etc.

Based on my network, I would say I hear reliable info from 3 hospitals in this area, and it's all largely in agreement.

I suspect many new unions will be formed after this settles and the hospitals will not like the contracts.

Posts: 17887 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post