SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 ... 471
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
It looks like you don’t have an automatic mechanical watch yet. Autos are the best. For the money the SNK is one of the best ways to dip your toe into the highly addictive world of automatic watches without spending a ton of money.

So if I don't plan on wearing it daily, I would need to invest in an electric watch winder for it?

quote:
Hamilton’s field watches are also a great way to go but they will be more expensive.

I stumbled across Hamilton recently. I like some of their stuff, but yes, that's about twice what I'm wanting to spend right now for an "every now and then" watch.

quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
There are a few colors available if you don’t like black, blue green and a khaki are also available.

The beige or green would be more like what I'm after.

Thoughts on the SNK803/SNK805 (beige or green versions of that black one you posted) versus the SNZG07J1/SNZG09JI? I see that the latter are larger (41mm vs 37mm), which would probably be better for my large wrists. Price is basically the same ($149). The SNKs have a 7S26 movement while the SNZGs have a 7S36 movement.

https://www.jomashop.com/seiko-watch-snzg07j1.html

https://www.jomashop.com/seiko-watch-snzg09j1.html

Posts: 32427 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I nearly bought an SNK about two years go. The thing that killed it for me was a lack of hacking. Is it really a big deal for occasion wear? Probably not. I think it's a great looking watch.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
I think the beige one is a pretty good looking watch.

Posts: 1215 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I bought a 2nd hand green SNK last year while waiting on my Monster.
Doesn't get worn much, but it's a nice light starter for an auto.
No handwind, but a few shakes & it starts ticking. Then it's just setting the date/time & on the wrist it goes.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15151 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Speaking of Hamilton field watches, my first just came in the mail a few hours ago. This is a Khaki Field that has been modded with a sterile dial, and I’m absolutely loving it so far. I wasn’t really looking to buy one just now, but it popped up at a price I couldn’t say no to. It's not a great picture and the angle makes it look monstrous on my wrist, and it isn't, but you get the idea.

I also have won h2oys’ karma for his spot on the Helm Komodo wait list and his/my number is 42, so I’ll be buying my first Helm, soon. For a few years now, I’ve been watching them pop up in this thread, members raving about them. Now I just need to figure out what color way to order. I have divers with black, blue, and orange dials, but believe it or not, no white dials yet. Really having a hard time deciding between the white dial with the aqua colored appointments or the orange and white. The problem is, I basically never wear my Orient Ray Raven II, and I’m not sure if it’s the orange dial, or the watch itself. The small crown, small hands, and the weird bezel bug me, and I know the Komodo doesn’t share those problems.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I think I'm going to go for the larger SNZG07J1 in beige, and install a brown leather strap to make it slightly "classier".

Similar to this:

Posts: 32427 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
P220 Smudge, that's a beautiful Hamilton.

RogueJSK: I have the black-faced version (SNZG15) and love it. It's durable enough to be an all-tasks watch, it's classy as-is (yours will be sweet with the brown leather, and it's light enough to let you forget it's there. Good choice!

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
My Timex Space Traveler Snoopy came in!

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
My oldest daughter (11) just got home from an overnight at NASA, really like that Snoopy Timex!

Posts: 15151 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
I just want to say curses to whoever posted pics of their IWC, Got me looking and now I want a Aquatimer Expedition Jacques-Yves Cousteau Special Edition.

So do I pass on getting an Oris Date Relief and hold out for it? Damn enablers Wink And if I do, it makes a GO Senator even farther away.

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK: So if I don't plan on wearing it daily, I would need to invest in an electric watch winder for it?

Most people with automatics don't have winders. You just need to set it when you put it on and start walking to put a wind on it. (Most automatics can also be manually wound, but some Seiko 5 models lack that capability.)

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Just had my daughter's Ladies Date serviced. Bought it in 2003 on a vacation to Grand Cayman - Kirk's.

First service, I'd say it was due. Smile

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrianO:
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK: So if I don't plan on wearing it daily, I would need to invest in an electric watch winder for it?

Most people with automatics don't have winders. You just need to set it when you put it on and start walking to put a wind on it. (Most automatics can also be manually wound, but some Seiko 5 models lack that capability.)

I briefly considered a winder & started a thread on the subject in the Lounge.
Based on the responses there, decided I didn't need a winder for my 2 autos & would just handwind or shake to get going & reset date/time.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrianO:
quote:

Many advise against watch winders as winding and running the watch when you aren't wearing it puts unneeded wear on it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
My Timex Space Traveler Snoopy came in!

Sweet Snoopy watch, and meh whatever the other one is... Big Grin

...that I will support
and defend...

Posts: 870 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Coldbore
posted Hide Post
New to me IWC Big Pilot reference IW501903.

Posts: 1124 | Location: Pac NW | Registered: September 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Coldbore
posted Hide Post
IWC reference IW379904

Posts: 1124 | Location: Pac NW | Registered: September 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Coldbore
posted Hide Post
Rolez Deep Sea Seadweller
Ref 126660

Picture of Coldbore
posted Hide Post
Zenith El Primero Defy Open

Picture of Coldbore
posted Hide Post
Breitlung Seawolf Avenger Ti