SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a fantastic Sumo! Really like the green second hand.

Posts: 1137 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
It’s blue, fit and finish is perfect and the factory engraved year on the back of the case makes it very important/significant as a gift to a family member of mine in the future.

Simple classic beauty!

Can you go into the significance of the back? Don’t mean to pry, just curious.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39222 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I like to collect special edition watches from the years my children were born. This 2020 special edition Seiko will one day be gifted to my daughter as she was born in 2020.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21220 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
That's a very nice gesture! Thanks for letting us in on that.

Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39222 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Very neat.
I've pondered 'birth year' things for myself.
Neat idea to do something like that for the kids. I, too, have a 2020 baby.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15976 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I think I mentioned Seiko's new smaller Samurai recently (SRPL11, SRPL13 and SRPL15). If not, here you go.

Here's a new article from Strapcode on the new trio: (link).

God bless America.

Posts: 13859 | Location: Frog Level Yacht Club | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
My wife isn't into watches too much, but we're going on a cruise (for our 40th Anniversary) in a few weeks and I thought she needed something(s) nice for the trip. Nothing too fancy, but last March I took advantage of the drop by Studio Underdog and ordered two, each with alternate leather straps. They arrived yesterday.

She actually seems to like the "Desert Sky" chronograph a lot and I think that's my favorite too. The dial applique is really nice. The other ("Steffany Blue") is a Field Watch, but she likes that too. Both are made in limited numbers in the UK, though they utilize manual wind Chinese movements. While Studio Underdog doesn't make a lot of watches each year, the prices (well under $1000.00) are very good for what you get. The straps are actually made for SU by my favorite custom strap maker: The Strap Tailor

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10260 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So…. I thought about it and realized I didn’t have any green dial watches.

Can’t have that these days! So I ordered a few bits and pieces, and ended up with this chunky guy.

It’s the case and movement out of an Addie Dive watch, with a new bracelet, new hands, and new dial.

I’m really happy with the dial, it’s very low key, looks almost black under low light, but in bright light it’s a nice shiny green.

At work today, it showed off very well…

Bill R

Posts: 1138 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
It is chunky, but I like it! I gave away my only green faced watch and due for another sometime.

But yesterday I got my Helm email that my Miyako was ready to buy. I opted for the blue version with date and also added a khaki canvas strap and a whisky leather strap to the order. I almost pulled the trigger on the titanium engineer's bracelet, but figured the standard would do just fine.

Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stylophiles:
So…. I thought about it and realized I didn’t have any green dial watches.

Bill R

A very nice looking watch! What's the depth rating? Power reserve?

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10260 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:

A very nice looking watch! What's the depth rating? Power reserve?

The original watch had what I would call a very “optimistic” 1000 meter rating.

On the other hand, it is a nice thick steel case, gaskets front and back, heavy sapphire… I am comfortable calling it “waterproof enough” for anything I need in a watch I wear to work. (I don’t dive, but it might get dunked, etc)

This is the second one of these I’ve done, the other one has been holding up great so far.

I need to get an updated photo of that one, I found an absolutely ridiculous steel bracelet for it. Perfectly chunky and heavy, the whole thing is a workout wearing it!

Movement is a plain old Seiko NH35, so far if I wear it all day and leave it at night, it’s still running the next afternoon.

Bill R

Posts: 1138 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
I think those are great looking watches stylophile. I like chunky watches and I have had an Addiesdive watch down to 60 feet before and it's still working.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
I am looking for help/suggestions on an old Rolex watch.

My wife's mother has finally decided to get rid of her deceased Dad's watches. He was a casualty of Vietnam so the watches are from that time period. None of them work.

One of the watches is a beat up Rolex and we haven't been able to find one like it as a reference to even begin to know if it has any value. We've taken it to several jewelry stores that carry Rolex watches and to the Rolex AD. The estimates to repair it and replace the crystal are in the $800-$900 range. The Rolex store said they would have to mail it back to Switzerland for $800 and any additional costs. They all say it would only be worth about $1200-$1300 when repaired.

I'm asking for any thoughts you guys might have about whether it's worth it to put the money in to it.
IMG_2353 by D Shoe, on Flickr

IMG_8039 by D Shoe, on Flickr

Posts: 1230 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
That Rolex does not have to go back to Switzerland. RSC in Dallas or NYC can handle it.

If you want to go independent, ask these guys:
https://www.rolliworks.com/

It's pretty hard to lose money on a free Rolex, even if it needs a total overhaul and new bracelet. Whoever services it will give you documentation on it and that will give it some value too.

Posts: 3684 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I'd much rather keep it in the U.S. And you are right, it's hard to go wrong with a free Rolex.

My wife is still struggling whether to fix it and keep it or fix it to sell it. We have a friend who has offered to buy it as is.

posted Hide Post
For repairing the Rolex also take a look at this fellow:

Wristwatch Revival
https://www.youtube.com/@WristwatchRevival

His videos are neat to watch and restoring family heirlooms is something he takes particular pleasure in doing.

Posts: 5026 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
That is a fascinating Rolex. That looks to be from the early to mid 1950s, but I can't find another exactly like it. For me it would be worth $1200 as a family heirloom if that is what it took to get it running. It is certainly a very neat bit of both Rolex and your family's history there.

My grandfather had a Rolex from about that time period that no one in the family knows the whereabouts of. I last saw that watch nearly 40 years ago right about the time he passed and it was pretty beat up then. Likely wouldn't have much monetary value today even if repaired, but I'd dearly like to have it just for the sentimental value.

Posts: 2654 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
We haven't been able to find another one like it and believe it may be from the 50's also.

My wife is pretty much leaning to the same mindset as you that it's worth fixing to keep it in the family. Since it is a smaller size, as they were then, it would fit her perfectly.

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shoevb:
We haven't been able to find another one like it and believe it may be from the 50's also.

My wife is pretty much leaning to the same mindset as you that it's worth fixing to keep it in the family. Since it is a smaller size, as they were then, it would fit her perfectly.

Not exact, but quite similar to this 6567 from the mid-50's.

https://www.vintagegoldwatches...-ref-6567-18ct-1955/

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10571 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
Close.