SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
Wouldn’t the citric acid cause more patina?

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
I’m tempted to remove the patina on one of my CUSN8 Bronze Zelos watches.

Will a bit of lemon juice and water do the trick?

https://www.pinionwatches.com/...lean-a-bronze-watch/

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
Things are a little too sleepy here. So, here's a Reverso!

That didn't take long.

Jaeger Le Coulter makes some nice watches, and that is one. I like the very simple round watch with a moon phase they have.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:

Some use ketchup. Really.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:

Some use ketchup. Really.

Yes, ketchup will work because the acetic acid from the vinegar that's in virtually all ketchup recipes works as a cleaning agent. Lemon juice will work, too, but needs to be diluted with water because it's too strong if applied straight; the main component of lemon juice is citric acid. In watchmaking school, we used Pure Citrus Orange Cleaner, an all-purpose cleaner, if memory serves.

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888: That didn't take long. Jaeger Le Coulter makes some nice watches, and that is one. I like the very simple round watch with a moon phase they have.

To be honest, I was deep in the throws when I posted before. The confluence of a number of factors pressed my actions. But it's been a very long time coming. The Reverso has been skitting around at the edge of my radar for an easy 15 years.

This is the medium-size case (42.9mm|25.5mm). And the medium case is now being reserved only for their boutiques going forward. To me, that reads: no future discounting. Only the larger cases will run through normal AD channels. For 2023 they've also removed the fine alligator band from the stock watch. Still available, but now, as an add-on with an extra cost. And of course, there's the 7.8% price increase that has already hit since I purchased. In short, those bastards know how to manipulate a vulnerable WIS. Big Grin

How's this for crazy!?, as I walked through the door to pick mine up, a guy in front of me mentioned the word Reverso to his pal. They were walking in at the same moment. He too was there to pick up a Reverso. I mean, this is not a fast moving brand, model or variant of that model. We were both there to pick up Duoface Reversos. His, with the large case.

I nerded him into a wrist-shot.

This is the reverse dial on my Duoface. Same watch photographed earlier in the thread.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: r0gue,

Posts: 11386 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I'm not usually big on 'square' face/case watches, but that's a nice looking piece.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15318 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
Grabbed this beauty in Europe a couple of weeks ago. I like it as an "at home" watch where I just need to know at a glance about what time it is. Very relaxing.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1773 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
There was a time I was really close to picking up a MeisterSinger. I think maybe they were all a bit beg for me, and I dodged it, but I really like the simple pop of it. It'll be a good conversation starter!

Posts: 11386 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Furlough, I've never seen a MeisterSinger before and have stared at your pic for a while looking for the hour hand.

Unless the minute hand is perfectly covering up the hour hand, should I assume this watch has a single hand and it's 10:40?

Posts: 3723 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
MeisterSinger

Link - Single Hand Watch

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:
Unless the minute hand is perfectly covering up the hour hand, should I assume this watch has a single hand and it's 10:40?

Yes, it is a single hand watch. 5-minute ticks on the face. And yes, I took the pic at 10:40. It takes some getting used to, but when I am out for dinner or shooting the breeze with friends it is perfect. And yes, it does start conversations!

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1773 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
^^^ Thanks. I didn't know such a watch existed and it looks great.

Posts: 3723 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by furlough:
quote:

Yes, it is a single hand watch. 5-minute ticks on the face. And yes, I took the pic at 10:40. It takes some getting used to, but when I am out for dinner or shooting the breeze with friends it is perfect. And yes, it does start conversations!

Thanks for the explanation. I wasn't sure what was going on there.

Posts: 7525 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
In less than 7 weeks Christoper Ward fixed and returned my C60 Abyss SH21 totally free of charge.

It is keeping MUCH better time now.

This is one of my favorite watch case-backs.

I really like the way the dial changes appearance in different lighting.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
very nice CW

Posts: 3572 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Stickman, that CW looks great. I love a skeleton watch, and that's a fine execution of the concept.

quote:
^^^ Thanks. I didn't know such a watch existed and it looks great.

Meistersinger makes quite an array of them. The Botta Uno is another one.

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That Christopher Ward watch is really sharp.

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Okay, I need some watch advice. I know next to nothing about watches and watch brands. But I'm looking to expand my extremely small watch collection to include a watch that looks good when paired with khakis and a brown belt/shoes.

I currently own two watches. Yes, just two.

I have a titanium and black digital Casio Pathfinder that's my rough-and-tumble/on duty watch. It gets worn 90% of the time that I'm wearing a watch. I then have a slightly fancier Casio MDV dive watch with a dark blue and silver face and black and navy blue NATO band that gets worn ~10% of the time.

So what's a solid option for a $200ish or under, casual-to-slightly-dressy analog watch that's more towards a khaki/tan/brown color scheme? (I realize swapping bands on any watch to something like khaki nylon or brown leather is a simple thing, but it seems like most watches themselves are geared towards the black/silver color scheme, if you know what I mean.)

Suggestions for specific models or just quality brands within my price range are welcome.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
RogueJSK, I HIGHLY recommend the Seiko SNK809 field watch. There are a few colors available if you don’t like black, blue green and a khaki are also available. It’s well within your price range, has a display caseback and is one hell of a robust watch. Seiko made about eleventy billion variants so there are many slightly more dressy versions if you don’t care for the SNK dial.

Link to Seiko SNK809 at Jomashop

It looks like you don’t have an automatic mechanical watch yet. Autos are the best. For the money the SNK is one of the best ways to dip your toe into the highly addictive world of automatic watches without spending a ton of money.

Hamilton’s field watches are also a great way to go but they will be more expensive.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post