SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Jonesin' for a JLC Reverso. Any of you guys ever own one?

Posts: 11387 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steelcityfishanddive
posted Hide Post
I've had my eye on these for awhile now. An AD that I use had this come back in on trade from the original buyer right at a year. I was browsing his site and saw it sitting there. So after some negotiating and a trade in on a Ball watch that I was hardly wearing, this beaut is mine. Merry Christmas to me!

Posts: 1315 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I'm a big GO fan. Congrats!

women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
Any thoughts, positive or negative, regarding the use of a watch winder? I like the concept of having something that would keep my automatic watches rolling while I cycle through my collection every so often. Thanks!

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HuskySig:
Any thoughts, positive or negative, regarding the use of a watch winder? I like the concept of having something that would keep my automatic watches rolling while I cycle through my collection every so often. Thanks!

I use one, sparingly. If I set my GMT and plan to wear it within the next few days, I put it on the winder. If I'm unlikely to wear it for several days, or a few weeks, or totally unknown, I don't. For time-only, I almost never use a winder. That said, it won't hurt it. Not if you're down with the proper interval of service.

women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
What's the concern with using a winder long term? That you'll hit the watch's service interval sooner rather than just letting it sit statically?

Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
quote:
What's the concern with using a winder long term? That you'll hit the watch's service interval sooner rather than just letting it sit statically?

The best guess answer is yes. I was once told by a watch maker/watch repairer they call them "watch grinders". They can speed up the wear and tear on the oils and parts.
In most cases, a watch serviced on a regular service scheduled, most likely will not need to have parts replaced and only need to have the movement dissembled,cleaned, oiled and reassembled.

I have a few watches that use the ETA 2824-4 movements. It was rumored at one time that if you hand wound the watch a lot over time there was a gear that would strip.
With that said the only time I use my watch winder is if I want to wear a watch with one of those movements in it. I will put the unwound watch on the winder the night before I want to wear it so the only thing I have to do the next day is set the time and date.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Here is some additional info. on the subject:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...360003594#5360003594

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
^ And I opted to skip the winder for now.
The Monster is almost EDC & the other gets a shake & set if I'm putting it on.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15323 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 71 TRUCK:...They can speed up the wear and tear on the oils and parts.

More accurately, they continue the wear and tear on the internals of the watch. vs. a resting (stopped) movement, which is only affected then by time itself, aging the oils and seals. I mostly agree that if you are servicing a watch as recommended (or more often if it's something special and you're daily wearing it), it's a non-issue.

Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
quote:
Originally posted by 71 TRUCK:...They can speed up the wear and tear on the oils and parts.

More accurately, they continue the wear and tear on the internals of the watch. vs. a resting (stopped) movement, which is only affected then by time itself, aging the oils and seals. I mostly agree that if you are servicing a watch as recommended (or more often if it's something special and you're daily wearing it), it's a non-issue.

Yes, thats what I meant Wink

Some on the watch forums will say not to send a watch in for service till it is not running properly anymore.
Some say treat it just like you service your car and do preventive service. It's a toss up because unless something needs to be replaced the cost is the same.
Now most new watches can go five to seven years between servicing and I think Rolex now mentions ten.
The only watch I have sent in for service so far is my Breitling Superocean Steelfish. When my non watch friend heard how much I spent to have it serviced he almost fell off his chair.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info gents. I think I will pass on a watch winder. None of my automatics have enough complications to necessitate powering up ahead of time.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I love the green and turquoise lume on the Zelos swordfish.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
How would you treat a watch that you assume has been at zero degrees for four days? On Friday, I ordered a watch for my wife for Christmas. It's been stuck at the Boston airport since Friday. I assume the arctic blast put a wrinkle in the "guaranteed Saturday deliver" FexEx schedule. Though in three days thus far, I might have liked to see at least some movement. Anyway, I'm debating what do do when it arrives, as I assume it's in the belly of the plane or in a shipping module, on the tarmac.

Just let it warm slowly in the box for several hours I suppose.

Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
quote:
How would you treat a watch that you assume has been at zero degrees for four days? On Friday, I ordered a watch for my wife for Christmas. It's been stuck at the Boston airport since Friday. I assume the arctic blast put a wrinkle in the "guaranteed Saturday deliver" FexEx schedule. Though in three days thus far, I might have liked to see at least some movement. Anyway, I'm debating what do do when it arrives, as I assume it's in the belly of the plane or in a shipping module, on the tarmac.

I suppose the warming process will begin once it moves to the sorting facility/delivery vehicle. My concern, which is probably the same as yours, is did the cold temps cause water vapor to condense inside the mechanical workings - assuming it’s mechanical and O-ring sealed?

Maybe not a bad idea to remove the case back if that’s an option while it acclimates to room temp.

On the other hand, if the watch was assembled in a low humidity facility/location there’s a pretty low chance that there was enough water vapor to condense in the cold temps.

Posts: 1102 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mdblanton:
quote:

I suppose the warming process will begin once it moves to the sorting facility/delivery vehicle. My concern, which is probably the same as yours, is did the cold temps cause water vapor to condense inside the mechanical workings - assuming it’s mechanical and O-ring sealed?

Maybe not a bad idea to remove the case back if that’s an option while it acclimates to room temp.

On the other hand, if the watch was assembled in a low humidity facility/location there’s a pretty low chance that there was enough water vapor to condense in the cold temps.

I think that would depend upon the humidity within the house. Remember, cold metal tends to condense moisture in a warm environment.

I think letting it sit for a few hours in or out of the box is the answer.

Don't even unscrew the crown if so equipped.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
quote:

Like you I have been eyeing the Reverso.

If it is a Sinn, would not worry about the temperature.

Sinn Temperature Resistance

Otherwise I would treat the watch like a camera, slowly let it come back up to room temperature.

Posts: 3572 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Things are a little too sleepy here. So, here's a Reverso!

Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
Rogue, that is class pure, have always liked them

Posts: 3572 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I’m tempted to remove the patina on one of my CUSN8 Bronze Zelos watches.

Will a bit of lemon juice and water do the trick?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post