SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 480 481 482 483
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3595 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
^^^ Thank you!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39222 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok watch aficionados-
I need a good website to purchase watch bands. I have a nice 1960's Bulova that was my Fathers, and in need of a new leather / alligator / ostrich band.

On a side note, I don't get why back in the 50's & 60's, smaller watches were "in". This Bulova is tiny! It fits my wife (who's like > < this much taller than a midget) perfectly. I don't know how my Dad, at 6'00" 200lbs wore this little thing.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8519 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
^if you're trying to avoid Amazon I understand. Some decent brands will sell there. Lug size?

I was actually looking for a strap on the sub-reddit that named a few options

https://www.reddit.com/r/Watch...ld_i_find_a_quality/

https://holbensfinewatchbands....riant=16229929156719

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
For bands/bracelets, I often take a look at strapcode.com.

God bless America.

Posts: 13858 | Location: Frog Level Yacht Club | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I know it’s not leather, but my IWC Spitfire came it’s leather and it was never quite the right size. I ended up getting a RubberB strap in their dream strap series. It’s the most comfortable strap I have ever worn. Here is a link to the one I bought. While they are matched to each case, you can get creative and probably make one work for your watch.

The guy who runs the place is super cool and willing to work with people as he said it wouldn’t work for my watch and I was certain it would. He said if it didn’t work he would give me a refund if I returned the strap. It worked and I love the strap.

https://rubberb.com/iwc-rubber...d52a3FtQGGy6h47Psp5y

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4321 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
Ok watch aficionados-
I need a good website to purchase watch bands. I have a nice 1960's Bulova that was my Fathers, and in need of a new leather / alligator / ostrich band.

On a side note, I don't get why back in the 50's & 60's, smaller watches were "in". This Bulova is tiny! It fits my wife (who's like > < this much taller than a midget) perfectly. I don't know how my Dad, at 6'00" 200lbs wore this little thing.

As others have remarked previously, you'll need to know the width between the lugs and your wrist size to get a proper fit. Also, IMHO getting QUICK RELEASE PINS is a great idea! These make it easy to swap out straps if you have multiple choices.

Here's three custom strap companies that I've ordered from, all of which offer good options at reasonable prices. Tuns provides the best value, but don't let the low prices fool you. They have great products and I'm very pleased with their quality!!! I've included some pics of straps I've ordered from these three companies for you to get an idea of what's out there.

Tuns:

https://tunsstore.com/

Liger:

https://ligerstraps.com/collec...s/shop-by-collection

Strap Tailor (probably my favorite):

https://thestraptailor.com/

You mentioned alligator and ostrich:

Alligator:

Ostrich:

Croc:

Some of the options from my wife's collection:

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10260 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
Ok watch aficionados-

Etsy has alot of watchband makers that will custom fit one for you. I have 8.5" wrists and have gotten some great bands on Etsy

Posts: 3773 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Very nice MarineStar. I was looking at them when the Lunar Pilot caught my eye. I went for the LP.

You gotta hand it to Bulova/Citizen for the quality. Mine had perfect hand alignment as well.

The LP caught my eye as well. I bought into the space nostalgia hook, line, and sinker. Found a 2019 NIB 96B258. I was a little concerned about all the complaints about the 45mm size but it feels much better than my Marine Star. My 2 dimensional 6.5" wrist seems to be happy. Also, I discovered that both the MS and LP have the same complications and both can micro-adjust the the hands with the pushers.

Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
I have had that Bulova in my cart on Amazon forever. Nice.

Posts: 3773 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
I preferred the NO DATE Complication. Plus I got this on a really good sale through the AAFES (Army and Air Force Exchange Service) website. I was kinda looking at the White Dial, but it was not on sale

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7273 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the links, Gents!

Damn you guys have some nice watches!!! Wink

I know the lug with, it's the length I need to shorten. It's easy, I have a tape measure.

Pulli- I asked her if she was going to switch bands, more than likely, she's going to stick with one, so the quick-release for her really isn't needed.
For me, on the other hand... well....

(I may or may not have pulled the trigger on something, or somethings in the past week or so. I'll post them when they come in. I have a feeling some of you may give me a thumbs up or two)

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8519 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Threw a strap on. Completely different watch. On the 45mm, a Nato strap needs curved spring bars so I will check that out later.

...later

The Nato has more wrist presence but serves its function and the keepers match.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SigSentry,

posted Hide Post
So my wife got a birthday gift, a dial and set of hands from Namoki (cause I forgot to close the internets, very sneaky!) They call it the Tropical Divemaster:

She asked today when I was going to get around to making something with it, so….

It doesn’t really show the dial colors well, it’s less red than on the website photo, and more yellowsh brown, very unique looking. Found the only hand set I had that was more cream/yellow than bright, and a leather strap I’ve had a while, and I think it looks ok.

More n looks, that damn seconds hand went on first try, so that makes it a one of a kind for my watches!

Bill R

Posts: 1138 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
^ nice work. Is that what they call fumé? What watch is that?

Just watched a video swapping out for a Namoki dial. Sounds like a fun project. There may be a Timgrapher in my future. Wink