SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Nice Omega watches! I can’t wait until my 1999 SMP comes back from an extensive service. Should be done soon. Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21099 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I stopped in a Rolex boutique yesterday.

They had lots of Datejusts and Day-Dates. Many were were quite tarted up, but given the venue (Houston Galleria - high end shopping and lots of foreigners), perhaps the gold and diamonds were to be expected.

In sports watches, they had: two all gold Submariners, a Yachtmaster, a gold Yachtmaster, and a Yachtmaster II. That is all. The clerk told me when I asked about Explorer IIs that they would get two before year end, but they were already sold.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Stainless sports Rooleeks are like chicken teeth.

There is a strong belief that Rooleeks has created this shortage deliberately.

Rumor has it that you buy a gold Datejust,and THEN they will put you on the list for a sport model.

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I have heard the speculation that Rolex is deliberately underproducing the steel models. It seems likely - are they really making them at maximum capacity? Hard to imagine they couldn't tool up to make more, and especially as long as the "shortage" has existed.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Love that GeoP r0gue.

And yeah, white dials are nice and a new affliction for me. (I don't count the champagne, silver, nor gray dials here.) Started with that Bauhaus number I posted a few pages back. Today this Casio Edifice showed up from overseas as this flavor is a EU only item. Both are inexpensive (<$100) quartz watches which is also a departure for me as my stuff has all been mechanical save one waveceptor-solar digital.

Anyhow, here it tis Smile

And the "collection"... no Rooleeks here. Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16179 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Nice collection Bald1. I didn’t know Casio made a white dial watch like that, it looks great. I came close to buying a Casio Edifice Bluetooth enabled watch.

I got my first Brass watch, a Ventus Northstar. I love it when I get a “used” watch off eBay and it’s actually new in box with stickers still attached. Cool It’s acquired a slight bit of patina just in the few days I’ve been handling it. This brass watch seems to have a more shiny almost gold finish compared to my Bronze diver. It’s going to be interesting to see how they change over time.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: stickman428,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21099 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Nice collection Bald1. I didn’t know Casio made a white dial watch like that, it looks great.

I never had really paid much attention to Casio save the one classic 5600 "square" I picked up back in 2005. Never really liked their big round G-shock stuff. But I came across this white dialed Edifice model when looking at available Bauhaus watches. Many compared its looks to the Omega Aqua Terra model which also has orange highlights. I liked, it was cheap, so I pulled the trigger. Came from Spain in 9 days (eBay listing).

Dial still has the plastic protector on it in this picture.

Today's wrist time is with one of my vintage Sinn 156 Military models. Changed the strap from a gray leather NATO reinstalling a factory padded black leather number with a Sinn deployant. I'm a big Lemania 5100 fan. Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16179 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Never had a Sinn, but been tempted Sooo many times. Including now.

Posts: 11377 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
I'm not familiar with Sinn, but there's something about the design and proportions of yours that's just right. Very good looking watch bald1!

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1307 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
The Lemania 5100 dial layout is one of the easiest chronographs to read. Sinn couples that with a rotating bezel either external or internal to add another dimension in recording elapsed time in those I own. Smile The other two from Elka and Heuer have fixed Tachy inscribed bezels.

Here's my 3 Sinns along with a Heuer and the Elka. The Sinns and Heuer use the Lemania 5100 whereas the Elka has the earlier Lemania 1340 movement.

(L-R) Sinn 142StS [1999], Sinn 156 Military [1986], Elka 9803PA [1977], Sinn 156 Military [1989], Heuer 510.503 [1984]

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
Let he who is without Sinn write the first check...or something like that.

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrianO:
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
Let he who is without Sinn write the first check...or something like that.

LOL

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I am loving this brass diver on its original leather strap. Light, comfortable, accurate and different looking from all my other watches. This might have been one of my best watch acquisitions of 2019. I got lucky with the Seiko NH35A movement in this watch and got one of the more accurate examples.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I have been waiting for this one for several months. They sold them on a Kickstarter campaign, and it just arrived.

Yema is French and this one has an in-house automatic movement. The case is bronze (which is what attracted me to it) and 41mm. They also made it in 39mm, but on my gorilla arm, 39 is approaching a little small. The crystal is sapphire and domed. I have it on a tropic strap they provided as the tan leather was, as usual, too small for me. It also came with a blue NATO. I'll probably look for (or have made) a leather strap similar to the supplied strap. It is a good combination with bronze.

I like it after two hours. The machining is crisp. I like the color of the lume, which glows the standard green. The blue fade of the dial is nice and rich. The side view shows the unusual locking mechanism for the bezel - once set, the bezel cannot move.

This is a throwback to Yema divers of the '60s, but they didn't make them in bronze then. The most interesting thing will be to see how it patinas. They say they experimented with bronzes to find one that aged evenly.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Wow!!! Gorgeous JHE888! Bronze is typically more dull and reddish but that one looks golden almost. It looks fantastic man. Locking bezel?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Damn you guys and your bronze and brass cased pieces. Wow. Big Grin I see that Yema Superman is already sold out. I may have to break out some Brasso for you two. lolololololol

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I've been curious about the Yema and how good it actually is.

They're using the Seiko NE86 and ETA 7753 in their chronos.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39744 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I agree this bronze is more golden/brassy than most bronze I have seen, but in person it isn't as gold as most brass is and shows a little redder than the picture. Of course there are many variations of brass (copper and zinc), and bronze (copper and tin), and some brasses have some tin, making them sort of hybrids. And all of those can have other elements too, altering their properties and color. I don't know the composition of this watch, but it will patina and darken over time. Yema says they selected a bronze that will patina evenly and attractively.

Yes, the bezel locks; that little folded piece at 3:00 engages the notches in the bezel when the crown is screwed down. Apparently, it is an old feature of Yema divers to make it impossible to move the bezel at all. It is still a one-way bezel, as all divers should be.

This one has an in-house, Yema movement. I don't know if they used it before this watch. I think the movement also comes in a date version, but this watch doesn't have one, obviously. I am coming to liking no-date watches more and more as the date window clutters up the dial. I'll let you know how accurate it turns out to be.

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
The unique lume of the GeoP. Lume dots placed upon the rehaut rather than on the dial. Simulating the effect of the original 1958 version of the watch which had them on the crystal.

Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
^^^ Such a classy looking watch, r0gue!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38641 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post