SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:

It’s history and fact that it actually went on a lunar mission after an astronaut’s Speedy popped off it’s Crystal is quite interesting.

The Bulova that went into space is different from this newer model. Larger than the original and using a high-precision quartz movement not mechanical like the prototype Astronaut Dave Scott wore on the moon, the Bulova Moon Watch of 2016 isn’t really a “re-issue” but rather a modern timepiece inspired by the original. The chronograph registers are also different in the amount of time they record.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
The chances of Bulova making a mechanical version more similar to the original are not good. What company under Citizens corporate umbrella could they rely on to source the movement?

Even Citizen themselves don’t seem too interested in their mechanical offerings these days. It’s an area where they are missing out on a big opportunity IMO. Just look at all the micro brands using the Miyota 9015 movement and it’s variants with excellent results.

The high frequency quartz is one of the only quartz watches I enjoyed wearing. So while it isn’t identical to the one used it is still a neat, highly accurate watch with a connection to a watch with a history most don’t know.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
The original Bulova wasn't even a Bulova either, It was a Universal Geneve Space Compax. It failed to qualify because Universal would not allow Star Case company to build the cases like Omega did.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I like the new Bulova quartz moon-retro-reissue, but it is far too big to my eye.

Of course I say this while wearing a Laco 45mm fleiger . . .

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
For size reference, here's my Speedy & the Bulova on my 7" wrist...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tooky13,

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1312 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
The Omega pictured a couple of pages back has some striking good looks, I think.

If it's just about the color combination, though, I'd offer a couple of more-affordable Seiko alternatives [because I'm a Seiko nut]:

There's the SNE575 Solar (Sumo shape, I believe), at $495 list, and the SRPG19 (Turtle) at $625.

I've been tempted a couple of times by the SNE575, but haven't yet picked one up.

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tooky13:
For size reference, here's my Speedy & the Bulova...

One reason I like the IWC 3706 so much is it is 39mm and wears so much smaller than the Speedy, which I actually find to wear pretty big on my 6.5" wrist. And it kind of scratches the same itch. So on the rare occasion that I want a chronograph, that's been my go to.

I've actually been grinding on the idea that the Speedmaster may be the next to go. Making some harder decisions as I have a new car on order. But that thought seems tough to comprehend. Confused Wink

Posts: 11387 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I love that IWC, it’s layout is very similar to my grail watch the Sinn Arktis II. Does that IWC have a Valjoux 7750 movement? The dial layout looks classic 7750.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No.....no, selling the Speedy is not an option.

You will regret it. This I promise.

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more

Posts: 719 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^ this is solid advice. Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Every since I discovered this thread and started looking at some of the watches seen here I've always wanted a Hamilton Jazzmaster. Another watch keeps getting in the way. First was a Marathon TSAR which is on my wrist as I type. Now I think my next will be a Tissot Seastar Pro 2000. Won't happen until fall however. I like the aqua marine dial the best.

Posts: 7525 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
This summer I plan on getting my dive license so I can use my Sub 1200T Searambler’s bezel for more than grilling delicious steaks. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
Ever since I discovered this thread

Welcome to the sickness. Razz
It's gonna cost you money, I swear! Big Grin

That Jazzmaster is a beauty, by the way.

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Man!! Has anyone checked the prices of the new MoonSwatches on Fleabay? A $260 watch w/ some bids over $1500 w/ two days to go. I guess some cannot wait to get one.

Posts: 4057 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
My aunt sent me an eBay link with a few of those damn things up to $10,000 for buy it now. The bidding started at $5,000. FN nuts.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
This summer I plan on getting my dive license so I can use my Sub 1200T Searambler’s bezel for more than grilling delicious steaks.

You may use your watch while diving as an exercise in nostalgia, but they really aren't used much nowadays for practical purposes. In "the old days" we'd start with a full tank, and we'd use our watches to tell us when to turn the dive based on prior experience of how mutch air we'd use in a given amount of time at a given depth. Then someone invented the submersible pressure gage, and we knew at a glance how much air we'd used and how much was left.

So then we'd use our watches -- combined with printed dive tables -- to tell us when we were reaching our no-decompression limits. Again, that's old school procedure, because nowadays dive computers that measure your actual depth as you dive and compute your NDL in real time are so affordable that almost no one dives without one.

But DO wear your watch if you can. I do, and I have an "air integrated" computer. I just like wearing a dive watch. (A really cheap one, in my case.)

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Yeah the dive shop I am lucky to live only minutes from talked to me quite a long time about dive computers/watches. This summer I’ll probably pull the trigger on a nice one. I like the idea of having a nice dive computer on one wrist and the Doxa Searambler on the other. Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I received my Christopher Ward Sealander C63 over the weekend. It's just as advertised. Very beautiful, simple layout, easy to read, and overall I'm very happy with it. I measured my wrist as instructed though and it's a bit tight (even when the micro-adjustment is extended to max), so I'm ordering another link.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10198 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
pulicords, that Christopher Ward is BEAUTIFUL!! If the C60 links will fit (I think they might be different) I’ll gladly send a free link your way. Last week I ordered a bracelet for my C60 Chronograph, which is still back at the mother ship getting a new case. It should be coming home soon. Smile

This is the first time I’ve damaged a watch bad enough to warrant a case replacement and I can say CW made the process totally painless. I had originally ordered my Chronograph with one of the #tide straps. Those straps are incredibly comfortable and quite easy on the eyes. They also have quick detach pushbars so you can swap the straps out with CW’s bracelet with ease.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
That is a really good looking CW Sealander pulicords! Of course, I'm partial to white dials and stainless bezels Cool

I'm surprised they didn't provide the additional links that can make up a full size bracelet. I"ve seen other brands that offer to size a bracelets and mention they'll include the links that were removed. Always nice to have if you decide to pass it on to someone with a larger wrist.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1312 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post