SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ Beautiful! I like love the hands on the C60 Trident. I know it might sound blasphemous but I hate the hands on Rolex watches. It’s been copied so much by others it has formed a negative, almost cheap view in my mind, it’s sort of a victim of success sort of situation I suppose. Its objective, obviously lots of people love the hands on their Rolex.

The hands on that C63 (same as C60 GMT) are interesting with the textured longitudinal line running across the length of the hands and intersecting the polished edges of the hands including the tips of the hands.

I also adore the company, they are so great to work with. It is perfect timing you post that pic today. This morning I got an email that my C60 Chronograph was transferred from the waiting cue to a watchmaker to begin the repairs.

By modding so many Seiko’s and even building them from scratch I’ve basically of figured out what a quality diver case should cost. I was shocked at the cost of a case replacement for my C60. It was under my best case scenario estimation. I expected the damaged inflicted to cost at least double what I was quoted. Cool

Now I wouldn’t be honest if I didn’t point out the investment potential of the Rolex Explorer II Polar. The way it will hold is value is one area where the Christopher Ward will not even come close. But I’m sure you’re already well aware of that. Wink. I kinda wish I had gotten a Rolex Explorer II Polar back when they were only what I would call very expensive….they have since jumped up in price even higher.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
Thanks again for your comments. I own a Rolex "James Cameron" Deep Sea Sea Dweller now and wanted an Explorer II Polar for the same reason I wanted/acquired the DSSD: I love the looks, quality, and design elements of these watches. Yes, they could continue to gain value over time, but I don't buy watches (or any other jewelry) as an investment.

My DSSD has the "descending" blue face and I love it, but I wanted something with a white face as an alternative and I wanted a watch with the ability to track two time zones. The C63 GMT has all that and the added advantage of a lower price point, which isn't a bad thing if (as I plan) one travels outside the country into areas that might be somewhat hazardous to tourists. I fully insure my Rolex, but the Christopher Ward isn't going to require any additional coverage like a new Explorer II Polar would, and that's another practical reason to go with this brand/model in my situation.

Will I eventually get the second Rolex? Maybe, but for now the C63 GMT is a great alternative and I'm looking forward to it's arrival as I've already ordered one. Thanks again for your input!!!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10198 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
You will really enjoy the C63 Sealander. I picked up the GMT in black when it launched and it has been great. The light catcher case is really stunning. CW gives you a lot of value in their watches. I have found my C60 Trident to compare quite favorably to my Submariner 16610.

Here’s a shot of my GMT.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2387 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Not a watch, but my vintage cuckoo clock had the hour hand come loose When I adjusted the time (with the minute hand, forward) & is hanging at 6:00.
Hoping it's just a tension nut that needs adjusting on the hands.

Going to try to get it off the wall & where I can get a better look at it.
It's older than me & has some sentimental value, so much caution to be had.

Edit:
Hour hand is 'press fit' onto a tapered shaft.
Seems to be back in service.
Not I just need to turn on the cuckoo & make sure I've got the correct hour showing & that it's actually on the hour.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P250UA5,

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15325 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear it appears to have been an easy fix!

Installing hands on a watch isn’t hard either. I was anxious my first time but all in all it was fairly easy. YouTuber Lumeshot has a tutorial that walks you through the process. Getting the putty like stuff to hold the hand without any risk of damaging or scratching it (rodico I think it’s called) while I pressed down with the hand press in my other hand made it even easier.

It’s satisfying as hell when you can install hands with better alignment than how some Seiko watches leave the factory. Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Glad to hear it appears to have been an easy fix!

Installing hands on a watch isn’t hard either. I was anxious my first time but all in all it was fairly easy. YouTuber Lumeshot has a tutorial that walks you through the process. Getting the putty like stuff to hold the hand without any risk of damaging or scratching it (rodico I think it’s called) while I pressed down with the hand press in my other hand made it even easier.

It’s satisfying as hell when you can install hands with better alignment than how some Seiko watches leave the factory. Smile

I nearly jumped on the Presage that was listed in the classifieds a week or two ago.
It went SPF before I could look into it enough.
Would've been the base for a build watch, as the brown/gold wasn't really my style.

Posts: 15325 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
The dial might have been an issue for a mod watch build. Some of the presage Seiko’s have big dials that might not fit in other cases. There are a few unique and stunning watch dials in the presage line I would have swapped into a SKX, Turtle or Samurai case if only it would fit.

The Seiko Presage hard edge green or blue dial was a watch dial I wanted so badly to put into Seiko’s golden turtle case but unfortunately the dial is too big.

It’s a shame because those dials are incredible and there really isn’t anything like it in Seiko’s Prospex line.

As far as I know the 140th anniversary silver dials are the closest thing to the unique hard edge Presage.

I managed to find one of the anniversary Seiko 5 watches on the fleabay and being a “limited edition” I did the logical thing and immediately modded it. Big Grin

Seiko hasn’t made anything quite like this yet. They only made two other silver/gray dial Turtles (not counting the Anthracite version) and the price of both of those watches, the Dawn Grey & Zimbe Turtle are obscene.

The best Seiko is the one you make.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Love that blue faced Presage.
The Presage line is definitely more my style, but good to know that they aren't super mod-friendly.

Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Green Highlander:
You will really enjoy the C63 Sealander. I picked up the GMT in black when it launched and it has been great. The light catcher case is really stunning. CW gives you a lot of value in their watches. I have found my C60 Trident to compare quite favorably to my Submariner 16610.

Here’s a shot of my GMT.

Very nice! The orange GMT hand and highlights go great with the leather strap!!! I'm really looking forward to receiving mine!!!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10198 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
THIS came in today!
It has the Peacock 7753 automatic movement.
We'll see how it's accuracy is as I wear it.
I ordered it straight from Sugess and it shipped March 1st. Got it today.
It's HEAVY. Every part of it feels good. The bracelet really surprised me.
The running seconds is at 6 o'clock like the Daytona. My Speedy has it at 9 o'clock.
It has no date, like the Daytona. So I won't have to fiddle with that.
The bezel is ceramic and gorgeous.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39753 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
^^^ handsome watch SC!

Posts: 3723 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I found a half price watch store on eBay and picked this Devil Diver reissue up. I had been eyeing it for a long time at Jomashop, but I ain't paying $500 for no Miyota 821a.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Very cool Mars!

Posts: 11387 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Nice Mars.

Posts: 3723 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
Very nice Mars! Heavy is good with watches like this!!!

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Very cool watch Marzy. I had one of those for a while before gifting it to my father. He had a Bulova diver way back in the day and loved the modern retro they make now.

The indices are very unique. If memory serves me correct this watch also has the cyclops on the inside of the Crystal right?

Bulova offers that watch with a Swiss movement too 2824-2 I believe but they are $$$$. I’d like to see them put I more modern Miyota movement in it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snapping Twig:
Well... I went and did it. Been a long time coming, and I never tossed out so much for a watch before, but if you're here, you know the addiction of watches.

Had to have it. Like I said, it's been a long time coming.

Mine has the instantaneous date change, which they do not all have, apparently.

I bought used, but new with factory warranty as well as an additional year dealer warranty. I checked with my Rolex repair guy before I bought it, and he can do the work too.
So I'm covered.

So far, so good. 24 hours into it, spot on with the atomic clock. We'll see over time. The 1315 movement is known for EXTREME durability as well as equal accuracy, and +/- 1sec/day is common.

Most likely I will never own a Lange, but this gets me into the outer orbits of such horology.

Mine is Ti, so 162 grams or 5 oz. As massive as it is, that's a blessing. Waiting for an answer as to the grade of Ti. They use grade 23 on the Bathyscaphe, so I'd imagine it's a grade 5 at least, but you never know.

Lume is off the hook! Bezel is fully illuminated as well.
Always wanted a 3-6-9 type dial. The Grande Date version only comes in black and no 3-6-9 indices, so I got the blue which has the 3-6-9 and I prefer the color.

So, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. I'd be lying if I told you it was not second guessing myself on this, but I've been saving a long time to do it.

On that note, if anyone wants to buy a Seiko Marinemaster or Alpinist both with extra Strapcode bracelets - PM me. Wouldn't mind getting back on my feet a bit. Smile

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snapping Twig:
Seiko Marinemaster

[vthoky drools just a little....] Cool

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
It's the black dialed version, comes with original bracelet, band and a super angus (jubilee) and an oyster bracelet from Strapcode + boxes and paperwork.

PM is your friend...

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I gotta stop opening this thread!!

You guys are going to cost me some serious money!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8345 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post