SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
I gotta stop opening this thread!!

You guys are going to cost me some serious money!

Big Grin Big Grin Tell me about it! I jinxed myself saying I wasn’t looking too hard at other watches since acquiring my gorgeous C60 Abyss. Soon after that post one of my grail watches and one that is not only no longer in production but also quite different from all the other watches that company makes came available on the fleabay. From an aesthetic standpoint it is my favorite offering from this brand.

I bid on it with around 1 minute or so left on the auction expecting to lose and see the final sale price jump up by a few hundred dollars. To my shock I ended up winning. There are only a few other examples of this watch for sale on other websites and they are all over a grand more than what I paid for a nice example with a full kit. Big Grin

Any guesses on the brand?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21099 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
^^^

Tudor?

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
When I first started considering a Doxa I began reading the reviews on www.doxa300t.com since it covers not only a wide range Doxa divers but also the homage watches with incredibly fair reviews. The Sub 5000T Seaconqueror was the one that really caught my attention. My Maranez Doxa homage also has centered text so while it may seem like a mistake there is a Doxa with a similar dial layout.

Doxa 5000T review

The 5000T has a lot to like, the centered logo and text is different from the typical left aligned “Doxa” text in the upper quadrant and lower right model text as seen on all the other divers. The 5000T is also unique with its raised indices that catch the light a lot like my C60 Abyss. It also has a 2892-2 movement so it’s using a slightly improved movement over the current 300T’s 2824-2 movement.

Unfortunately the Sub 5000T has been out of production for a while now so I didn’t expect to find one and really didn’t expect to score such a killer deal on one!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: stickman428,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21099 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
Great looking Doxa!

Posts: 1099 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Nice Doxa.

Been considering one, but something else always gets in the way.

Perhaps I will find the sharkhunter LE with the white hands. Always caught my eye.

The printing on that Doxa is unique.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Nice! I was thinking the Tudor, but I'm glad it was the Doxa. I know you've been wanting one for a long time.

Posts: 17110 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Lume shot.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
That’s gorgeous snapping twig. Do you like it more than your Arktis II?

I think if I ever do get one of those it will end my watch buying days.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Yes, it's really nice.

Interesting you'd ask that because the Sinn has WAY more features and the technology is very advanced as well.

Horologically, the Blancpain is much more advanced. Finish and design of movement is superior. In fact, the movement is REALLY well-designed and supremely durable - more durable than a Rolex.

Overall, it's the same level - but with superior movement finish, than an AP.

They make @ 20K +/- watches total of all the various watch styles they offer.

So, hand made, in house, superior craftsmanship, 1 second a day accuracy being common, durable beyond any other watch of its type.

Yet the Arktis is a thing of beauty as well. Workhorse movement of chronometer level and accuracy, so many features - nitrile seals, captive crystal and bezel, water intrusion capsule, and on and on.

So, I will use the FF for daily and the Arktis for times when I think it's prudent to leave the FF at home, moto for instance.

As to ending your watch buying days, I hear you loud and clear. I'm sitting here wondering what the heck I did?! Ramen, rice and beans for a while.

posted Hide Post
That DOXA is NICE!

For whatever reason, I just cant get into that case. I like the "retro" feel it has, but it's just not for me.
Put that in a different case and I'd be on that like a fat kid on ice cream.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8335 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that Seiko turtle case profile isn’t really for me, but I can imagine it wears really well. The lume on that Fifty Fathoms is sweet.

Posts: 17110 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
While it is the most well known, identifiable and iconic case, the cushion case isn’t the only type of case that Doxa has made or currently makes. Doxa is making two cases right now that differ from my beloved, shapely case.

History of Doxa watches

The Sub 600 & Sub 200 are two examples that have different case shapes. The Sub 600 almost has a Seiko SKX case shape vibe going.

The lugs and case shape on the Sub 200 reminds me a lot of the Omega Seamaster minus the helium release valve/crown.

This one is available in something like 25 different color and bezel combinations.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: stickman428,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Been looking at the 300 in yellow and turquoise. Love the crystal and perhaps the yellow best.

Like I mentioned, the black dial with white hands LE is also nice.

The funky 70's case is alright by me for certain. Love the decompression scale too.

FWIW, check out the now discontinued UN Maxi Marine divers. Perhaps the best bracelets I have ever seen. For a 6 o'clock seconds, it's so reminiscent of a ship's clock that it draws you in. Really like those.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyS0oEhzFdY

Did you use a filter to make your Doxa appear blue? Am I correct to think it's a black dial?
Thumbs up on both hands silver. Personally not a fan of the minutes hand colored differently. I know many are, but it's a personal thing.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Snapping Twig,

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Snapping Twig,

You have mail. Cool

The blue is coming from the blue sky via the skylight right above the watch. It definitely has a black dial. The Sub 5000T has a 3mm thick crystal Eek so it looks a bit like a blue dial under certain lighting conditions. The Crystal also adds a very unique bit of distortion from some angles. Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Cool

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
The second case pictured in Stickman's post is a very old design that was also used by the predecessor, Aubry Freres and Co.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
I'm really liking the Planet Ocean Ultra Deep 6,000 metres (20,000 ft.)

Posts: 4021 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Oh wow Z06! That Omega is just stunning. I love the colors and dial on that watch. That’s one of Omega’s best looking watches they have ever made.

Dang that is a good looking watch!! That dial is in my opinion PERFECT….the whole watch is perfect.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
For $260 (list) this has me intrigued. Probably the closest I'll get to a 'Moonwatch' anytime soon.

But, there's only 1 AD listed on the site, and it's across town.
Have heard people are camping out to get these. I'm not that interested.
If they're a regular catalog item & the hypd dies down and/or they are available for online order, I'd be tempted.

Omega+Swatch = MoonSwatch

The Mercury, Moon, Jupiter & Neptune models look great, the rest don't do much for me.
I like the Earth model, but not the green case.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15268 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
^^^ I wouldn't think I'd like such a stretch from the norm, but some of these colors are really striking!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38642 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post