SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Looks good on an OD NATO.

Man, I'm frustrated with my Combat Sub. It's been running consistently slower the last few months. It's now somewhere between 15 and 25 seconds slow, depending. I put it in the watchbox most of last week in disgust, eschewing it in favor of my Casio Duro. I brought the Glycine out and set it on Friday, and today, it was a minute and a half slow by 7pm. I don't know what the hell is going on with it, but as I understand it, my options are take it to someone to regulate it, or spend $170 for a timegrapher and take a crack at regulating it myself. For a watch that ran consistently at +4 seconds a day the first six months I owned it, this is a growing disappointment.

Posts: 17132 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
When new or after a complete service, watches "break-in".

4 months in and it has changed is not unusual.

How much it changed, that's worthy of discussion.

Contact Glycine and see if their warranty covers this. Such a dramatic change could be a defect.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I bought it last August and have worn it pretty much daily since. This is a relatively new development. I guess I’ll contact Glycine and see what they say.

Posts: 17132 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
I bought it last August and have worn it pretty much daily since. This is a relatively new development. I guess I’ll contact Glycine and see what they say.

Could it be magnetized? That would explain the sudden inaccuracy.

Posts: 3548 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
Any Casio G-Shock experts here? I think I'd like a classic G-Shock to knock about in at work.

I don't know about being an expert. But this square G shock is the classic. It has an all metal case, screw in back and a much more supple urethane strap. The strap is much more comfortable. The squares are a reasonable size, too.

This is built like the original G shock, as compared to the screw on caseback with a plastic case they now use. G shock afficianados love these. They are solar powered and atomic clock synced.

https://www.seiyajapan.com/col...oducts/g-gw-5000-1jf

it doesn't say what the crystal material is. Does anyone know?

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GCE61:
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:

Could it be magnetized? That would explain the sudden inaccuracy.

Yeah, I brought that up about a month ago in this thread and the consensus was that magnetizing makes an automatic watch run faster, not slower.

I looked at Glycine’s repair stuff. There no communication to be had. Just “ship it to Utah for assessment and service.” Oh well. I guess I’ll stick it in the watchbox until I get around to it.

I’m starting to think expensive watches probably aren’t for me. I’m too hard on stuff. I’ve killed a few Timex and Casio watches in my time, I guess I ought to play in the shallow end of the pool and admire from afar.

Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Don't give up. If it's within the warranty period, send it in.

If not, find a local watch repair.

For future, two brands I have found to be tough as nails are Seiko of course and Sinn.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lt.speirs
posted Hide Post
This year is a Seamaster year for me...

After the latest No Time To Die titanium version, I came across a 1997 2531.80 model for a really good price, which is actually my favorite Seamaster 300 Pro Diver of all the different versions. I always wanted one and now it's here. It's the one which was a real tool and also looks perfect with a suit. I just simply love the blue on this watch, the small waves on the dial, and the fact it was the model Pierce Brosnan wore during his time portraying James Bond.

With its NTTD brother

And the Seamaster 300 Pro family

And last week I decided to offer it a special trip, for me as well. Since I will be leaving the country for some time, I wanted to visit the place.

For those who recognize the place...

https://youtu.be/z9EV4Vdb3Zw

Posts: 901 | Location: Europe | Registered: April 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Haha, very nice! That’s quite the pilgrimage for that watch!

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
It’s neat to see all the new materials watch makes are working with. I especially think the sapphire cases are some interesting next-level stuff.

I got an email from Phoibos last night. The Voyager 2.0 is coming out. Slimmer lugs, thinner caseback, screw pins for the bracelet links instead of pin and collar, and a few other things I can’t recall at the moment. Basically, most of the big complaints people had about the watch that will make selling the original I own more difficult, lol. No pics because I haven’t seen any yet which show the differences.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I saw that. I’m not sure what to think. I think the Phoibos Voyager is just fine as it was. I’ll never complain if Phoibos makes their watches thinner/smaller but at first glance I couldn’t tell much of a difference between the voyager gen 1 & gen 2.

They certainly have one of THE best looking dials in the business.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Luv! ...and this from a guy that owns a 35mm A. Lange & Söhne. Big Grin

https://c-watch.co.jp/ww/gw5000.html

Posts: 11388 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Nice! It’s honestly damn hard to beat a G-Shock when it comes to a daily beater. Autos bring me more joy to own but as far as utility, usefulness and ability to withstand an absolute beating Casio’s G-Shock line has to be considered amongst the best.

I had some fun in an antique store today with my trusty turtle. I wanted to buy the wood hand to display watches but sadly the wife was not at all amused by the “creepy wooden hand” so it didn’t get to come home with us. Frown

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
“creepy wooden hand” so it didn’t get to come home with us. Frown

Thought you might have went bowling...

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39754 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
Luv! ...and this from a guy that owns a 35mm A. Lange & Söhne. Big Grin

https://c-watch.co.jp/ww/gw5000.html

I really like mine, too.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
My newest (and favorite) Seiko soaking up some sun and salt water on a kayak not too far away from the spot where the Queen Anne’s Revenge ran aground and Blackbeard the pirate was killed.

If you ever have a chance to paddle a kayak or go boating around Beaufort NC DO IT!! this place is incredible.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
When it comes to 'beater' watches, its hard to top the G-Shock line. My 'knock around/chore' watch is a GAX-100B that I bought for a song that I've grown quite found of. I just had the battery professionally changed, and it cost me almost as much as I paid for the watch. Big Grin

It suffers from the inherent issue with most all ana-digi watches (hands cover the digi screens at times), but other than that, great watch. I like watches with tide/lunar functions.

https://www.gshock.com/watches...g-digital/gax100b-1a

Link to original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6liJNY9-wW0

Cheers,
Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Thanks Smudge,
I pre ordered this today. Combat B50. I should have it sometime in July. I haven't worn a watch in over 25 years. Looking forward to it.

You might take a look at either Lum Tec (anything the Combat series) or Bertucci watches (theSuper Yankee might be just right). They’re made in the USA, have similar styling and specs as what that one is claimed to have and in the same price ballpark. They’re also reputable.[/QUOTE]

Posts: 1979 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Not to flog a dead horse but the question was posed why is there so much love for a piece of junk mass produced Seiko automatic watch?

I set this baby over two weeks ago and have worn it off and on since not letting it’s power reserve ever run out in the time since I set it. The watch is currently +7 seconds from atomic time. I could pay a hell of a lot more but I am not sure I would get a perceivable benefit from a more expensive Swiss watch unless I began to spend closer to $1,000+ and even then there is no guarantee the performance would be any better.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
That Lum-Tec looks nice.
Browsed a bit & like their Vortex line. Spoiled by the solar power on my Citizen.
The Vortex D3 is tempting.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15328 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post